Elektron Syntakt Trademark Speculations [closed]

They had to push it when they were smaller, now there is no need for that anymore. And I want to be clear again: I am also one of the half of those, who would love to see a new flagship, but we are, by far, not their core market anymore.

And this is also no general rant against Elektron: They still have all newer flagships in stock, keep up a very great maintenance and customer service and so on, but it would really surprise me to see anything groundbreaking from them in the near future. I personally went Eurorack and hybrid since the OT, which still is and always will be my personal favourite…

1 Like

I have to ask if you’ve written much software for general purpose computers? I think all software has bugs, right? Even the stuff that takes people into space.

6 Likes

yeh im thinking along these lines too. also its 20 years since the MD, so would be nice timing to bring out something that nods to that while also being up to date with the current lineup. in any case, would definitely love to see some sort of digital drum synth, the AR does nothing for me whatsoever

1 Like

That is indeed how the saying goes. All software has bugs. :slight_smile:

Implying the prices are too high ? I don’t think it’s fair. Elektron tries to satisfy all budgets. The model:xxxx line packs a lot of their DNA for an affordable price. The Digis are in the mid and are great value too. The Digitone is an insane synth for it’s price. Even the higher range machines justify their price very well.

4 Likes

12 posts were split to a new topic: Off topic derailing chat moved away

Seems that a Digitakt Pads would be more appropriate.

Never a bad time for a drum synthesis module, I’m sure they’re getting their best bang-for-the-buck by developing more small digital modules than flagship analog. I would like to see more stretching of what is possible versus repackaging prior flagship concepts in limited forms, of course.

I say that, but if MD or Monomachine elements are present I’d still consider it, it’s what I was hoping the Digitakt would become :stuck_out_tongue:

A combo of the digital multimode and a single analog filter would be nice, but it appears either/or there.

3 Likes

since evrybody loves digi form factor and hates new analog form factor… it‘ll be digi form factor

They better give it another color to not mess with people’s OCD :smiley:

Tbh, the digitakt formfactor is amazing. would be lovely.

The other day I was programming my Virus B and I thought to myself ‘if only Elektron would release a standalone product which harnessed the power of a decent VA synth with my beloved Elektron workflow’. Perhaps this is going to be it.

5 Likes

Oh I honestly have no complaints about overbridge at all (other than the Heat’s audio dropouts.) I think that the folks at Elektron are breaking their backs on it.

That was less to poke fun at the software team and more to poke fun at the fact that overbridge literally appears to have been trademarked in the year 1900.

2 Likes

…we can all be assured that this syntakt will go way beyond drumsynthesis “only”…
the only thing it won’t do is sampling…

but AAAAALLLLL the rest…

it will cover chiptune sid dirty bashing, will cover all cycles’ machines, will cover md and hell yeah will even talk like the mnm…as a basic setup…
and then…we will see where it will takes us…they might even make it some opensource backend option, so that people create their own little sonic weirdos…

if they don’t fuk this up, they will be ahead of the game again…and it will be a solid and timeless bestseller for years to come, that will even catch up dt’s sales…

and hell yesh…then they’re ready to dare to come up with some hi price segment product again that will finally go beyond their mysty magic box, that next level ot thing, sooooo many people are waiting for… :wink:

7 Likes

Maybe 8 tracks.

Medium (DT/DN/AH)-size.
Features roughly the same as DT OS 1.30.

1 Like

Calling it, drumsynth.

2 Likes

Some kind of “uber”-sequencer (Cirklon style) would be nice :wink:

1 Like

Hoping for a DT-sized hybrid synth or drum synth.

4 Likes

I think the new product will be a 8 voice polyphonic synth in Digi format

1 Like

ha… that bottom video w/the MD and circuit bent XD5 is an XD5 i owned for a long time. it was built by billy neenos. it functioned like a noormal XD5 and all the bends were activated by the switches in the expander box connected by the 25 pin cable.

i used it a lot on the first sample library i made for samplephonics called “circuit malfunction”. also used it on some releases. it was a great machine. i look at prices for xd5 these days and they’ve gone up A LOT. theey usd to be $100 and now they’re like $300-$500. crazy.

5 Likes

I’ve been involved with both Trademarks and Patents for Electronic equipment. Generally, though not always, you register a trademark rather late in the process, though it is not a final step in the development process.

The trademark only applies to the category in which it is applied for, see the other SYNTAKT at the bottom of this post. You register a trademark because it makes it easier to defend, but it is not impossible to defend one without the registration.

History of Trademarks registered by “Elektron Music Machines” with the Swedish Trademark Office:

2021-07-12 SYNTAKT
2020-02-25 Model:Cycles
2018-05-15 Model:Samples
2017-11-30 DIGITAKT
2017-11-07 DIGITONE
2014-08-14 ELEKTRONAUTS
2014-08-14 OVERBRIDGE
2014-01-21 ANALOG KEYS
2014-01-21 ANALOG RYTM
2014-01-21 ANALOG FOUR
2012-10-25 “analog symbol image trademark”
2012-04-16 ELEKTRON
2012-04-16 OCTATRACK

I will leave it to someone else to check the date of release of these products to see how close they come to the trademark dates. ( Notice how the chronology of the DIGITONE and DIGITAKT are switched for trademarking. There is an inside-the-corporation story behind this. )

Another reason you could apply for a trademark would be defensively. This is kind of like grabbing a whole bunch of URL names on the internet, to try to prevent others from using them.

There is an advantage with trademarks though, in that you get to defend them in court, and names that are similar in a same or similar category to other product trademarks are ruled as deceptive trademarks and are taken away. So a synthesizer named DIGITACT by another company would probably not be defensible.

So although Elektron has never filed a defensive trademark in the past, it is very remotely possible that SYNTAKT is one. The SYNTAKT trademark for packaging equipment was filed in the USA about two weeks before ELEKTRON filed their trademark for musical equipment. Perhaps they wanted to defend a name they felt too close to DIGITAKT, but not defensible otherwise, and grabbed it for musical equipment. I really doubt this is the case.

My conclusion is that most likely there is a real product, fairly far along in development, that will eventually have the name SYNTAKT.

BTW: I have some really nice "Elektronaut"stickers and pins that i am selling, before the trademark police catch me. :crazy_face:

18 Likes