Elektron sequencer workflow resources

Any good videos/tutorials/examples of cond trigs, fills, and anything elektron sequencer workflo related? I mostly use ableton for sequencing but as elektron sequencers are pretty unique I would like to dive into M:C sequencer a little more…
The truth is I bought the M:C for when I have to travel but with this quarantine thing I do mot see my self travelling any time soon.
I guess most features are common between elektron boxes but some are more unique in model series like scale per track maybe…

The manuals really are the best resources.
Searchable PDFs are how most technical questions get answered.

2 Likes

May I recommend the Loopop video review of M:C too as he’s the best imo, and you’ll pick up some top tips for sure:

2 Likes

Do you mean manuals from other elektron boxes?

Yeah, I saw that on release. But I mean more about creative sequencing on elektron boxes than a review on the Cycles itself

1 Like

Regarding the elektron sequencer. Its features are repeated across the machines. So in general, all the elektron boxrs share the same sequencer. Give or take a few minor differences.

Best advice for learning the sequencer for the box you have really is, study the manual, play the machine.

Model:Cycles manual. Read it all:

Come back here when something in there doesn’t make sense and you’ll definitely be answered by the community :slightly_smiling_face:

Edit: Also the Model:Samples sequencer is the closest pound for pound to the M:C sequencer, so search for sequencer tips on that too :wink:

1 Like

I have the manual…printed…:sweat_smile:
Lets say the basics are clear enough, would be more like advance tips on elektron sequencers.

Is all the conditional locks fill and pre modes and creative uses of those between different tracks. Is something you can almost immediately recognise from elektron boxes and makes them sound pretty unique, more than the sound engines themselves.

I just did a quick search and saw there are few tutorial from other elektron boxes. I will just start there.

1 Like

Nice. Read through the Trig conditions page again and try each one out one by one, see what happens. On top of your base pattern, creativity comes from Trig conditions, Retrigs, Chance etc

Edit: also scale per track is awesome!

I respectufully disagree.
Creativity is how the individual uses the tools they have.

Trig conditions are just a tool. Nothing more.

1 Like

Agreed. I just meant for twisting a base pattern. Yep you’re right. Creativity was the wrong word. Apologies!

I recommend spending a lot longer trying to figure stuff without reading the manual. That way you don’t have to read a manual.

These might help:

1 Like

Yep. They’re all free.

1 Like

In this one basics are explained quite well but I do not think I have seen this PRE mode before in other sequencers.

Probability and scale I am more use to, I do not have any box with fill mode but is quite easy to understand. The pre mode once seen the video is also more clear but is kind of a new concept to me. Any tips on PRE cond trigs? how or when you tend to use them? I do not really see their point in more linear sequences but I see how they can be very dynamic on “polyrythmic” ones…I will see…:sweat_smile:

One thing I miss from the volcas is the step jump feature, endless fun when jamming.

1 Like

Honestly mate, it’s really down to what you do with them, more than anything else.

I can write a sequence using conditional trigs one day, that will never be the same again.

You can be linear with them- a trig only occurring on a set bar, ad infinitum… Or you can get more esoteric and wild with them - something random occurring every 39th step

Thee sequencer is your oyster (although I should probably say that the word oyster here is being used as a reference to a well known metaphor - if you try to force the octatrack down your significant others throat, under the illusion of there being some kind of aphrodisiac effect, you’re likely to come a cropper)

Have some fun and get weird with it. You’ll enjoy it.

3 Likes

I recommend keeping the manual handy and really just jumping in and experimenting with a short sequence.

When you’re new to the Elektron sequencer, it takes a little while to get the hang of everything but once you do, you see how much of a wonderful monster it is :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes