Elektron Overbridge 1 in Live's midi ports

Hello everyone !

I’m having a hard time with my Overbridge setup.

This weekend, the USB chipset was the problem, I had error messages telling me that I had “Not enough USB controller resources” when plugging devices in. I reinstalled all chipset drivers, plugged the Overhub through a usb 2.0 hub before going to my PC, reinstalled Overbridge maybe 10 times, reinstalled Live, and after flashing my BIOS, eveything started working great. I checked that I was able to control every track of both my Rytm and my A4 from within Live, I turned off my computer and went to bed.

This morning, I turned it back on only to find that the Rytm and the A4 were gone from Live’s Midi Ports configuration screen. I can only see 2 lines, both named “Elektron Overbridge 1”, not sure if those were there before. When switching from Overbridge mode to USB+MIDI on my machines, they reappear in Live’s midi ports, on top of those “Elektron Overbridge 1”. The problem with this is that I have 2 machines, and now that they both have the same name in Live’s midi ports, I can only route MIDI signal from Live to one machine, as I can only see one Elektron Overbridge 1 as routing destination, even though the 2 machines are connected. The machines are correctly recognized in Windows Device Manager (both machines are showing with the correct name under USB controllers) or in the Overbridge Control Panel (where I can activate 24bits audio, select tracks for recording etc without issue).

What gives ? Any idea why my machines would suddenly dissapear from Live’s midi ports control panel when in Overbridge mode ? Any suggestions ?

What I already tried :

• reinstall Overbridge
  • reinstall Live
  • delete Live’s preferences from AppData/Roaming/…
  • switch usb plug
  • add an extra usb 2 hub between Overhub and the PC

Is buying a mac my only solution to have a stable music PC ? I remember that before its motherboard died, my old macbook pro never had any trouble with synths over usb…

Thanks in advance for your answers, observations, jokes, poems and anything else you care to post here !

i just upgraded to win 10… i’m having the same problem as this post. was it ever resolved?

Sorry to hear you’re having the same problem, but unfortunately I never found a solution for this, or rather, at one point, I simply stopped searching. I posted the same question on a few forums, never got a single answer, and as I was explaining, it got really frustrating to spend so many hours trying to fix USB chipset driver issues just to see them come back randomly the next day, so I ended up buying a mac. Both devices were recognized immediately, same for my soundcard and when I had it, my Virus TI, so the problem is definitely not Overbridge.
That doesn’t mean it’s only solution, but if I had to take a guess, you ended up, like me, with a USB chipset for which no satisfactory win10 driver exists, so you can :

• Make sure you are using the latest OS on your machines, and that you have the latest version of Overbridge installed.
  • Check if the chipset driver gets updated. On top of being unlikely because the manufacturer has no motivation in doing so other than being nice, in my case it was also hard to get the brand of my laptop to give me the exact chipset model.
  • Downgrade your OS back to the one where things worked, if you can

Best of luck !

hey, thank you for the response. looks like i figured it out.

uninstalling overbridge did nothing. but going into the windows device manager (under sound, video, and game controllers) and manually uninstalling the drivers did the trick… just right click the Elektron devices and click uninstall device. reboot the machines and they should now work!

2 Likes

Glad it worked for you, does this solution survive a few reboots (not just one) ? For me, the issue came back after a few reboots, still not sure what happened.