Elektron machines with no "Parameter Slide"

My Drone: OTMK3 OTMK3 OTMK3 OTMK3 OTMK3 OTMK3 OTMK3 OTMK3 OTMK3 OTMK3 OTMK3 OTMK3 … :wink:

4 Likes

Its a different company, with different staff, different vision now though huh?

The modular “machines” approach has all but gone. (I think it still kind of exists on the syntakt and model:cycles maybe?)

But yeah, I agree. The older rectangular silver and black boxes were the ones.

1 Like

IMO, the strongest argument is that the absence of parameter slide makes the loop different that how you played it during its recording (because it becomes aliased once replayed).

The sequencer is step based, but parameter slide pushes further the p-locks, indeed.

Totally with you on this.

3 Likes

Yeah, I mean it is understandable to have budget and mid priced machines for sure, I quite like them, but I hope and don’t think that we have seen the last big machine.

Out of all the form factors the OT/MD/MM mk1 style boxes are the best I think, the analog 4/rytm mk2 boxes are nice but too big.

2 Likes

all locks and no slides makes jack a dull boy

12 Likes

If they implemented pslides on the digi series, it would be really difficult not to buy another digitone.

3 Likes

Oh man, that would really flesh out the DN. I wouldn’t even care about the notes so much, just make sure that each step had wildly different settings, then sit back and listen to the crushing metallic grindiness between the notes :exploding_head:

6 Likes

If I’ve learned anything from the syntakt rollout and the $1000 for clean boost.

The memes/celebrated ideas are closely related to what Elektron is doing.

P-Slides are probably on their way.

I’ve been trying to get Trig + No to trig skip going as a meme, but its not taking off :disappointed:

2 Likes

This is my favorite feature and I haven’t found any other plugin or hardware that can do the same thing. The amazing part of slide trigs is how the speed of tweening parameters is correlated to the length of steps between each slide trig so in essence the sequencer knows what future steps exist in the pattern. This is very difficult to properly replicate, I’ve done stuff with slew limiters and the Ramp module in Drambo but nothing compares to the immediacy and ease of how Elektron does them

9 Likes

You’d think that if the sequencer knew the upcoming steps that it would be able to fix the damn pattern change bug on the Digis!!!

1 Like

I’m glad this thread picked up on my biggest issue with the Digi boxes.

The slide trig option could live in the TRIG menu, under LEN or PROB.
Press and hold the trig(s), select slide ON or OFF.
Funk!

It would be so nice…

1 Like

monomachine becomes highly sought after and expensive after discontinuation and the death of Sophie, who used it’s parameter slides extensively… then elektron makes the md/mnm inspired Syntakt but leaves out this most crucial ingredient! Really hoping they put them in. Great box either way, but it’s part of the “elektron sequencer” as much as plocking imo, such a shame to leave it out and baffling as it’s so integral to the “sound” many are running to elektron for

4 Likes

Does portamento on the dn mostly serve the function of slide trigs for pitch? Or is there something that slide trigs could do to pitch that portamento is unable to do?

With parameter slides you can slide between individual trigs. You get to choose which ones should slide. Like a 303.
With portamento, every note in a sequence will slide, unless the portamento is P-lockable.

Also, slide trigs can modulate every destination, not just pitch, although that is the primary use case.

2 Likes

On the DN can you save two sounds (one with portamento and one not) and plock between them on a track? Or is it like a track setting that cannot be plocked in any way, even by changing sounds in the soundpool.

(I know portamento only changes pitch and no other parameters, but just trying to get an idea of how comparable it is to slide trigs wrt pitch change only. The manual doesn’t say how many of the portamento parameters can be p-locked)

any parameter beyond pitch

Every Elektron device I’ve tried without parameter slides I’ve eventually parted with. Parameter slides have become important in my own workflow since I was first introduced to them.

I also think the velocity and aftertouch mod routing are very powerful tools (and way too buried in menus) on the AR and A4 which make them very expressive for real-time playing, compared with the Tone/Takt format that seem, to me at least, to be much more geared to toward set-and-forget step programming.

But not everyone likes/uses the same set of features.

2 Likes

In my experience, parameter slides on the AR do not affect pitch if that pitch is plocked as a NOTe value on the TRIG menu. It will affect pitch if it is plocked on the SRC (synth) or SMPL menus.

I’ve found this super unintuitive, and frankly irritating to use… particularly if you’re using a pitched instrument that is created by the combination of both synth and sample based sounds. It’s probably the reason I tried out the feature and then never used it again.

Anyone else run into this?

I happened to watch this video yesterday, where he illustrates exactly what you are saying (start from about 4:30)

1 Like

I think the Syntakt is a very good product, albeit expensive, just a bit more than the Digis because it has analog synth circuitry, and also supllies have gotten more expensive worldwide. It doesn’t substitute any of the flagship models. Those have a long list of features that can’t be found in the Digis or Syn. All Elektrons are fun and all of them have something the rest don’t. I would never sell an Elektron to buy another Elektron. I have done this in the past, but it was before OB and all the firmware upgrades. The rest of the brands… I have tried some stuff but nothing has equalled these machines to this date. This is personal taste and opinion of course.