Elektron machines with no "Parameter Slide"

I remember buying a Machinedrum when they first came out and being so amazed by the simplicity/fun of modulating various parameters with parameter slides. Parameter slides are my favorite thing about Elektron sequencers and I’ve always thought it was a bad choice to eliminate the option for the Digitakt and Digitone.

IMO parameter changes should slide smoothly as default with the option to make the changes discrete instead with a menu option per track. The humble Korg Monologue manages to do this. I can’t help but think of how much more I would enjoy my new Syntakt if the parameter locks transitioned smoothly instead of abruptly.

31 Likes

I never understood how parametet slide works on the AR

Infacy i never used it since i own it

1 Like

You’re totally missing out. It allows parameter changes to transition smoothly into one another. I often find them more useful than LFOs.

11 Likes

How does it work basically?

Do you understand parameter locks and the ability to alter sounds by holding onto the step buttons of the sounds being triggered and twisting various parameter knobs? If so, parameter slides allow you to choose step buttons so that sounds triggered on them with parameter locks transition smoothly into one another. The manual does a much better job of describing and instructing how to do this.

7 Likes

I never understood this. Probably the most unique aspect to elektron sequencers and they just decided to get rid of it. Something so simple can add so much to sound design. For those not familiar with it it’s very similar to using clip envelopes in ableton to modulate parameters but it’s much faster and a lot more fun.

8 Likes

I kinda get the omission on the DT because in theory it’s all about percussive sounds with fast attacks and decays. It’s sad on the digitone though. At least it has portamento?

I agree I don’t really understand why this feature isn’t on more elektron devices. I assumed it was because something about how trackers work.

3 Likes

This post has inspired me to utilize pslides more on my A4.

Thanks Prints

10 Likes

I see now

Yes I used a couple of times on filters locks and I remember finding it very subtle this why i might have not used it anymore

Totally agree.

Old elektron vs new elektron.

I use slide trigs on the OT for all sorts of things.
I wish the digitone had it.

More slide trigs Elektron!

6 Likes

Same here! Would’ve been lovely on the Digitone, not least because I run out of LFOs all the time. LFOs can be used to simulate slides to a certain extent, but only for one specific parameter at a time. Unlike slides, which can be applied to all parameters that you p-lock. Such a simple function as well, shouldn’t be that hard to implement.

5 Likes

what unused button combo on the Takt/Tones would everyone like to see get used for slides, assuming it is possible to code? I really want them for syntakt, love them on the rytm, but wondering where they would go that is logical? What is the precedent for unnamed/unlisted features added in firmware? On Syntakt I’m wondering about “pattern + sound” for accessing slides.

5 Likes

I would be happy with a simplified version; a menu setting that is either set to on or off for every track. If set to on, all parameter locks would “slide” parameter changes smoothly for that track. If set to off, it would behave as it does now.

3 Likes

Seems like it could easily be an on/off switch that is next to the note letter name value on the main screen, and could be plocked. The idea of slide trigs as a whole trig type seems unnecessarily complicated (to me).

Would be cool to play around with exponential slide shapes but I don’t need it.

3 Likes

Depends how they implement it.

Cant speak on the MNM and MD, but on the OT, slide trigs reside in the same menu as swing trigs, recorder trigs etc. You get one slide lane per track. This makes things easy as they dont live on the same page as all your other trigs.

1 Like

it is indeed a great feature. Slide trigs on OT are a place I spend a lot of time in.

5 Likes

Yeah I’m familiar with their implementation on the OT, I would just be fine with a simple on/off switch that was p-lockable. Makes sense as a stripped down version of the feature on the small black boxes.

2 Likes

It wouldn’t have to be a button combo. It could be a parameter on the trig page

5 Likes

This is one of the many reasons I vastly prefer the bigger machines, along with song mode and the more ergonomic control surface.

I hope the next Elektron machine will be a new flagship, not a digi/models form factor/feature set.

14 Likes

Bring back parameter slides! They’re super cool and very expressive.

Imagine playing guitar and no longer being able to slide or bend between notes. You’d lose so much expression.

Listen to a funky bassline. Now imagine it without any slides or bends. Welcome to the modern Elektron way… Unless you spend ages getting fiddly with an LFO.

7 Likes