Elektron Machinedrum reissue in black, Elektron pls

I agree that several LFOs and envelopes are always nice, especially on a synth.
Anyway, with resample, you can fake this, somehow.
Not ideal I agree, but once you accepted a machine for what it is and focus on its strengths, it gets a lot of frustration off you back :wink:

1 Like

it’s funny how much emphasis is placed on the ability to have all 16 LFO’s affect one machine. something I never once did in all my years owning an MD.

my other favorite highlight of this thread is the feeling that the MD effects are way better than the current gen Elektrons. takes me back to the Yahoo! Groups threads in ~2003 and people saying the effects are dated garbage.

eh, whatever… they’re not coming back. if you have one and love it, enjoy it. if you want one, save your pennies because they’re not gonna get any cheaper.

1 Like

It’s a good example of the MD’s flexibility and reflects it’s overarching attitude/philosophy quite well in few words. “You decide what you want to do with it”.

If you’ve never tried it, just go ahead, it might be fun. :slight_smile:
I wouldn’t say it’s my go to patch either but I love the option to do so, and often times use up to 6 LFO’s for one sound, rarely less than 2.

1 Like

of course I realize it’s an extreme example, meant to demonstrate the flexibility and power of the machine.

for me, two is plenty. and most Elektron machines outside the Models have at least that. there’s enough sound-shaping elsewhere that I don’t need to LFO everything.

1 Like

Fair enough.

Most, and yet, their flagship drum machine…

I highly suspect that Analog Rytm will eventually get some treats from the latest DT update

3 Likes

I mean…it doesn’t need to be a MD reissue, something along the line of an Analog Rytm with MD’s machines, lfos and cross-track modulation capabilities would be pretty neat! :grin:

4 Likes

I’ve never really understood the fuss about LFOs on drum machines.

A lot of the most iconic drum machines don’t have any LFOs.

A good drum machine just needs a decent variety of core sounds and a clever, highly performable sequencer, anything else is a bonus.

So on that basis, both MD and AR are excellent drum machines.

8 Likes

I agree but I also mainly just use drum machines for drum sounds. other people use them for all kinds of other sounds. the MD is indeed really great for this (even before you use the LFO’s). I don’t think the RYTM machines in general are as well-suited to being used in this manner, outside of the built-in mono synth. plus it’s also a sampler. so it’s plenty flexible already; I don’t see the need for three LFO’s per track or something.

2 Likes

yeah, this would send me over the moon.

1 Like

Not grumpy at all and yes the Digitone and Digitakt are excellent I use mine happily next to my old Elektrons. My point is that there was a time that Elektron could do no wrong that I literally would have preordered anything they announced (that’s how I ended up with the analog four and analog rytm) but then they shifted to seriously focusing on Overbridge (which I do use for multitracking my analog machines and appreciate) and then the whole Model series and it seems to be that they are focusing on the market like most synth manufacturers do rather than just creating machines that are out of left field that do things in ways that nothing else does just because they want to. Elektron at one point were trend setters rather than trend followers. They knew their audience but didn’t necessarily pander to them with their products they were pushing boundaries and that was so incredibly refreshing. They haven’t become a bad company by any measure but they’ve abruptly changed direction in a way that I worry that there won’t be any more ground breaking products in their future.
I only feel this way because I love their machines and I have since I first laid my hands on a Monomachine, how weird and interesting it was like no other machine I’d ever used and also because the Elektron workflow really clicked with the way I think so yea I feel passionately about their instruments and miss the time where I would have blindly bought anything they put out because I trusted it would be dope. Now I’m weary of them, that’s all I’m saying.

1 Like

Funnily enough one popped up for sale in my local :smiley:
https://www.hispasonic.com/anuncios/elektron-machinedrum-sps1-uw-mk2-custom/1026302

1 Like

Yow, those are some expensive vinyl skins :smiley:

1 Like

I think the Model series is both a way to introduce new users to the beauty of Elektron machines - ideally getting them to then purchase the more expensive boxes - as well as a way to generate revenue while they work on something bigger. (that’s not to discount the Models as something they just slapped together, or that they were super easy to create; just that they were derived from existing machines.) being the company they are and the devices they tend to make, I’m not sure where they go with their current line up. at least not in a short period of time. anything major they do will take years to develop. the Model series generates revenue while they do that. but… perhaps I’m just more hopeful than you (not that you’re alone here though) that they will still make the more involved/flagship style devices…

as for focusing on the market… nobody just makes stuff “because they want to.” if it’s not gonna sell, they can’t invest years in R&D from multiple employees, just for shits and gigs. that’s how companies die.

as for Overbridge… they were getting hammered by users for quite a while that something they promised on launch for several devices wasn’t there. they had to seriously focus on getting it working.

…and Roland won’t even make exact clones of their old stuff.

Instead they make a newer “version” that isn’t quite the same.

etc…etc…

FUCK referencing these images, I saw what a 106 is going for. 3k-ish!? I should mine for $200 I think it was. Maybe less :frowning: needed some simple fixes, but damn!

But then at the same time you also seem to complain about Behringer doing the thing you want; cloning a 303

:man_shrugging:t2:

I think you’ve got the wrong guy. I complain about B for sure, but mostly cuz they act as if it’s theirs with 0 credit to the originator.

The point I was in fact making was to the point of @roger ‘s post, he was saying that Elektron isn’t as big as say…Roland. So to clone the old chips may be outside of their capability. But as big as Roland is…they don’t either.

And I don’t agree with Roland cloning their own. It’s done halfway, and it’s backward thinking. I like it when they innovate not stagnate.

Sorry man. Nice attempt. But ya missed the mark.

1 Like

“Machinedrum MkII: SNAKE OIL!?”

4 Likes

And regardless. As far as Roland cloning their own gear…ITS THEIR OWN GEAR!
They can do as they wish with it. B is literally biting other peoples designs. So you are missing the point entirely. Im sure B would be CHOKED if someone cloned a product of theirs. And I don’t mean a clone of a clone…I mean one of their own designs.

1 Like