Elektron Machinedrum reissue in black, Elektron pls

“Feature parity” is the most soul destroying type of development. No-one likes doing it; devs don’t enjoy spending months or years making something that’s already been made before; “business/product” will change their mind about what”parity” means multiple times during the project; you’ll introduce new bugs; fixing the old ones might accidentally change how something works so customers will be unhappy…

Just… no.

11 Likes

‘Machinedrum reissue’ is the new ‘octatrack sounds bad.’

22 Likes

Also, I would submit our own local legends who have amended the OG MD OS as an example of the potential outcome from the fanbase. After all their amazing work, us greedy f#ckers still ask if they can squeeze anything else out of the antiquated processors. If elektron redid the MD with modern components you can bet your bottom dollar every feature under the sun would eventually be requested. As someone else has already mentioned(@Fin25) the resulting product would be so far from an MD as to be unrecognizable as an MD.

1 Like

These threads are great for spotting current and former software engineers.

16 Likes

Is the Machinedrum re-issue still worth it in 2022?

16 Likes

Only a thumbnail wanker knows

2 Likes

This response seems a bit off unless I’m missing something.

Maybe someone can write an emulator , like the access virus one.

Otherwise I’m muting this thread till the next one crops up.

1 Like

The Machinedrum is brilliant and I like the sound (I’ve owned two myself) but its been flogged to death. I say no. I’d rather see them do something new.

1 Like

Roland and Korg are doing it. I’ve bought a Jupiter Xm and Wavestat in the past few months. But, by their timelines we may have to wait another 20 years.

2 Likes

Nothing is stopping you from ignoring them and do as you please after all.

Uhhh….

5 Likes

A lot of people used to say the MD sounded shit too, funny how the used prices don’t seem to bear any witness to this.

FWIW I think they could quite easily redo the MD but they won’t and shouldn’t anyway IMHO. I’d rather they did a new kick arse flagship digital drum machine.

You can bet when the OT is eventually discontinued people will be asking for it to be reissued too :laughing:

5 Likes

Made the decision to sell a load of gear to have the MD/MNM combo. Not easy but it felt like it was on the cusp of being unobtainable.

Best thing elektron could do is pay homage to the style, look and feel but bring something else to the party IMO.

it took the entirety of this thread for a sample to upload to my MD just now

12 Likes

It has enough heritage and history to become a classic on the level of the 808 or 909. Remake? Might not happen in the near future, but wouldn’t count against it, though maybe in a decade or so, by whatever company is cloning things at the time.

Could potentially become a virtual instrument as well, given the strides In reverse engineering code.

Reality here and now though, if you want one, it will cost. Nothing else quite has it covered… and as for black faceplates, with digging, they exist:

2 Likes

This is the unfortunate truth.
It’s clear based off of what they’ve released since then (for the most part) and their marketing. No more Hector, no more 15min long blade runner-like commercials. It’s extremely sad but true,
the old Elektron is gone.
So we won’t see any Machinedrum or Monomachine reissues and I really doubt we’ll see any new products with the vision and scope of the original trio.

5 Likes

No interest in seeing it remade, but Elektron ought to make another nice box with a lot of LFOs, 16 voices/polyphony, wide ranging digital synthesis, proper song mode, and a very user friendly layout. Whether Syntakt will be that remains to be seen, but that’s the next great hope for this style of instrument (though I imagine it will be in digi format)

Elektron is the new Roland. Our best bet is that Behringer clones it in 2040

News: Elektron releases reissue of Machinedrum- MD2022

Selected comments from Elektronauts -

The sound is so thin and brittle. Totally useless!

*RandomDude19

Why does it have this ridiculous filter topology? Literally every other synth on the market has a decent multi-mods filter!

*AngryMate66

The buttons are so loud!

*QuietMousePJS

The effects are disappointing for a machine at this price point.

*NickBatt

I’d buy it if they released it in the Digi format.

*NewBroUser11

Elektron is dead. They can’t even innovate anymore. The last good release was Model:Cycles.

*BitterVet99

21 Likes

Ah, internet.

12 Likes