Elektron gear private lessons recommendations?

Hi,

while creating this thread, I felt like providing some context. Especially, since I got a feeling this topic is somewhat controversial on this forum. Feel free to skip to the last paragraph if not interested in my maunderings.

The context:
While I agree that nothing beats practice, in recent years I’ve also come to the conclusion that if you have just a little bit of an extra money, and can afford hiring someone more experienced in whatever you want to learn - it’s the best money spent. It’s the way I’ve progressed in my career, in my fitness, my cooking skills, etc.

Basically, at the moment my “philosophy of spending money on yourself” is this:
learning from an expert > learning by yourself > experiences (travel, etc) > things (gear, clothing, etc).

You might have seen my other topic (Help me structure my (newbie) learning process for music creation, please) the other day. It’s been 1.5 months since, and I’ve made what I believe to be a good progress all by myself, from essentially zero (although, not with the Syntakt, but with Model:Cycles).

But now is the time when I feel stuck again, on a different level. I do have a lot of questions, and the majority of YT tutorials fail to answer those - being created for a wider audience and not tailored to my level - obviously so. And even when I find videos that seem to correspond to my current level, the fact that I cannot ask questions feels very limiting. Of course I can ask some questions in the comment section, and some youtubers do answer sometimes. And I can also ask or find similar questions on this forum. But the length of these feedback loops just kills the momentum too often.
Of course, it’s normal to get blocked, and frustrated at times. It’s part of learning. I just think a lot of such blockers are not that productive, and I would be willing to pay to speedrun through them.

What I would like to have is somebody I can jump on a video call with, and ask my questions, show my struggles, watch them doing things I want to do, repeat after them, keep asking questions, etc - I need 1:1 lessons. This doesn’t have to be on a regular basis. But an opportunity to accumulate some blockers - technical and creative - and have an experienced person help me overcome them would be invaluable.

Do you have any recommendations?

Thank you

2 Likes

I’ve not used his services but his video tutorials are great. So maybe ask @DaveMech if he has time for one more student. He offers 1-to-1 sessions on Elektrons as far as I know :+1:

9 Likes

I also recommend @DaveMech, even though only had one 1:1 session right in the beginning of my music journey (side note: sorry for that, Dave, I was clueless! Hoping you reply here saying you have time available, might contact you), great guy, super friendly and helpful session even when I didn’t know much what I wanted to learn :joy:

7 Likes

Thanks for the mentions @victorcampos & @craig !

I teach music production in general ranging from focus on hardware (Elektron is popular, but anything really), hybrid/daw productions, mixing, live performance, studio setup etc. I have students all over the planet :slight_smile:

Best to contact me through my website if you’re interested and I’ll get back to you :+1:

You can also find more information about the sessions and my background etc.

Cheers !

9 Likes

I downloaded a YouTube ripper program and literally downloaded every tutorial for all my devices that I can find. Then organise into folders per category / task and delete the crap ones.

Eg Octatrack, folders labelled sampling / Parts / scenes / setup / arp / MIDI control blah blah. Then refer to them when I forget and get stuck.

Of course always nice to ask one to one as nothing beats interacting. With You Tube it often takes various viewing of the same topic to get the correct / appropriate learning angle

1 Like

where are you based @vit41iq ?

i’ve tried online tuition but reckon nothing would beat an in person session with two devices, reacting to immediate questions and problem (re)solving. appreciate the worlds changed, but tuition/learning from behind a screen is still fraught with qualitative and quantitive issues imo.

1 Like

Thank you @craig @victorcampos

Thanks for getting back to me @DaveMech

I’ve been browsing YT for literally months now on various Elektron topics, but that goddamn algorithm has never surfaced your videos to me :frowning:

I’ve just watched a few and they are really good quality, indeed. Moreover, I am happy to discover you provide online courses as well! Although, that doesn’t solve my initial problem, it would probably still make sense to watch a course before going 1:1. So I’ve just bought one! Will contact you as soon as I finish it :slight_smile: Thank you again.

5 Likes

I totally agree. That’s how I searched initially, but believe it or not, despite me being based in Berlin, I haven’t found anyone. Contacted a few locally known producers who use Elektron gear, but they kindly refused :slight_smile: So here I am.

2 Likes

Great idea :). Enjoy the course ! And feel free to join the discord server. You can always ask questions about the course etc there :+1:

3 Likes

This sometimes indicates a focus on quality over sating the recommendation system. One way to defeat “recommendation bubbles” is to search for a specific term and then sort on upload date. The trade off is that if there are too many hits you won’t ever get to those awesome older videos.

2 Likes

Ooh, interesting. Jdownloader perhaps.

Funny enough some time ago I did buy and download some video instructions from a paid tutorial site and got yelled at by the site as if I was pirating what I bought from the service :slight_smile:

These days I need less in the way of general Elektron answers, but it would be lovely to get advice and tips to refine more complicated workflows (optimizing for smoothest live performance, for one!)

well, I am in Berlin …

7 Likes

I am starting to suspect it’s not algorithms to blame, but my own searching skills :sweat_smile:
I’ve managed to miss all you wonderful people.
Thank you so much for replying here! Will now contact you, too, Jeanne

4 Likes

I use a program on the Mac called Downie.

1 Like

Nothing beats being next to your teacher: I do recommend face-to-face sessions!

4 Likes

paging @mpiecora :cowboy_hat_face:

4 Likes

Yes, I teach 4 days a week. All the Elektron boxes currently offered by Elektron.

5 Likes