Elektron Digitakt Midi Polyphony

Hello all, it’s my first post here, but I’ve been reading and using this forum for a while now, so I’m sure you’ll be able to help me!

I’ve been using my Model:Sample for drums with my Prologue for a few months now, all sequenced by the LaunchPad Pro Mk3. Now I’m thinking about replacing my MS and the LPP for a groovebox that can sequence my other synth, and I naturally thought of Digitakt. But my main problem is polyphony. I wanna be able to use the 8 voices of the Prologue, and I read that it was possible to stack two MIDI track on one MIDI channel. So my question is: is it really easy to do and is it a real workaround? Also, can I use this to MIDI loop while I play live on the synth, or is it better suited to step programming?

Anyway, thank you in advance!

The midi tracks are max 4 voice. I’ve not heard of stacking midi tracks, maybe it’s a thing don’t know. As far as midi looping the DT while also sequencing external gear is not possible I don’t think. Someone will correct me if I’m wrong no doubt…

Welcome to the forum! As @DEEPMOSES says, each midi track can output up to 4 midi notes per step (which is fine for chords), so to play an 8 note chord, you could use two midi tracks set to the same channel, or you could use all 8 midi tracks set to the same channel to have a bit more control over the velocity, length and timing of each note, and even set them to different track lengths for more evolving generative type stuff. But it would be a bit of a headache switching tracks all the time to make adjustments.

Personally, I would read through the midi section of the manual to see what can and can’t be done. It should give you a better idea of whether it will suit your needs or if a separate midi sequencer would do a better job.

Edit: also, if I remember rightly (do check this), I think the Digitone has up to 8 notes per track.

3 Likes

Ah yes, of course, nice one :+1:

1 Like

Yes.

The Digitone also has four MIDI tracks. They are used to control external MIDI equipped gear. Each MIDI track can trigger a chord of up to eight notes with adjustable parameters such as velocityand length, control pitch bend and aftertouch, as well as eight freely assignable MIDI control change pa- rameters (MIDI CCs).

1 Like

Thanks for the anwers! Yes I read through the manual, and theoretically I should be possible to use 2 MIDI tracks set to the same channel to play more complex chords. But I wanted to know if someone already tried it, and if it was a viable solution to my polyphony problem. I tried to find demo demontsrating this particular workaround, but couldn’t find any exemples on youtube or else. Also, I’d use the DT for drums so unfortunatly the Digitone is a no for me (don’t really like FM for drums).

If the DT is not the best option for me, does anyone have any suggestions for a sample-based groovebox that can polyphonically sequence up to 6 or 8 notes?

Thanks!

Novation circuit tracks has two 6 voice midi tracks and a nice workflow

For me, the Digitakt wasn’t the answer to my sequencing needs. 4 note polyphony and lack of control over different note on / off, velocity in chords. Couldn’t record mod wheel, can’t remember about aftertouch. But really depends on how you want to use it. If you prefer step recording and controlling everything from the DT it could work. I sold the DT and got an MPC Live, which solved all my problems. I can record the CC from my synth knob twiddles in real time.

I’ve definitely used multiple midi tracks to play 6 notes on my esq-1. Worked fine for what i was doing (very important stuff).

I am aware of the limitations but playing 4 note chords on an 8 voice synth means you can play notes with a nice release and don’t cut off the sound… and I do not use PW or AT a lot and if I do I use Ableton Live :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Thanks ! Were you able to play live on the esq-1, with the digi acting as a midi looper?

Thank you guys for your answers! I can’t really decide between the DT and the Circuit Tracks, as the CT is cheaper and would fit my need perfectly, but I really love the Elektron sequencer. Any other sampler/sequencer/groovebox that would fit my requirments?

Maybe an IPad could help…

Hahaha! Awesome… Now the big question is, how did you get my picture??

1 Like

I was able to play on the ESQ1, but I had the midi out from the digitakt going into the midi in of the ESQ1. If I had the MIDI out from the ESQ-1 going back into digitakt that’d cause some midi loopback issues. A work around I had was having a controller keyboard going into the digitakt, then being able to play on the controller and that works well.

1 Like

Okay thanks! I had issues doing that on the Launchpad pro, but then I switched to “mode local OFF” on my prologue and was able to play the keys and record them in midi. I wonder if that can work with the digi, but I don’t see why.