Electronic Open Mic Nights

We had the Leigh-on-Sea one again last night. We need more support there if anyone is local. Last night just myself and 2 other performed, but no one turned up to watch which was unusual.
It is a fairly relaxed setting in a cafe and probably ideal for anyone just starting their journey.

2 Likes

It’s a bit of a drive from London otherwise I would be interested.

2 Likes

Derby (UK) EMOM is on Thursday, I’ll be going to this one, anyone else?

I’m 50/50 at the minute.

I’ve been ill all week with some sort of plague. If I’ve recovered enough by next week I’ll be there, at least for a bit.

They say ‘pictures or it didn’t happen’ so here are two performances from the Leigh On Sea night a couple days ago.

The first one is my performance, using a DT, ST and Blackbox this time.

The second one is an AI program written by the performer that detemines note pitch, duration, scale, desnsity etc etc which he tweaks as it plays, with sounds he programmed with Super Collider. (I’ve probably done him a disservice with my simple explanation).

I hope you enjoy them should you choose to watch them.

6 Likes

Fuck me, Derby EMOM was good tonight. Best I have been to, anywhere. Closed with a hard as nails syntakt set.

5 Likes

I went to an EMOM last night in Montreal. It’s called Brain Freeze (every 3rd Wednesday of the Month). The location of this event has changed since November. I was really impressed when I entered the Room. It’s a big upgrade from the first location. The Sound and the Visuals are top notch, it’s more spacious and the vibe is really nice. I can’t wait to perform at this event in March (or January if there’s a cancellation).

Here are some pictures I took last night.

The set ups :

Other pics :

5 Likes

Derby (UK) EMOM tonight, who’s up for it?

I should keep an eye out for the date of the next Derby EMOM

1 Like

It’s once per month on a Thursday. Always a great mixture of music.

1 Like

Anke’s Cafe in Westcliff 7-9 tonight if anyone local is interested.

1 Like

Ah man if be up for popping to the coast, but it’s a bit short notice (and bleeding cold!)

I think someone else I know played or is playing the Westcliff/Southend emom - yggsdail? Or Paul as I know him. From your neck of the woods as well.

Always good to have anyone along. We need more people there, playing or just listening.

Getting that Syntakt from you @NUoldNu was the spark I finally needed to venture out and play somewhere. You’re never too old to start!

2 Likes

Lol. We are at the Chelmsford one in March, back at Hotbox if you fancy an adventure to the county Capitol!

I have been trying to get to the Chelsmford one for a while, unfortunately had to miss last night there. I will definitely try to get to the March one.

1 Like

Heads up for any Glasgow (and Glasgow-ish) folks… there is a second EMOM that’s being organised by the Noise Box folks at Bloc this coming Thursday. I’ll be playing a set at it which is my first gig for a few years so doubley excited about it. One of the artists has had to drop out unfortunately so the rest of us will have a slightly longer set… I might even try to sneak in a quick Autechre cover for laughs.

4 Likes

Nottingham (UK) EMOM have said they’re aiming for a February date - keep an eye on their Facebook page Electronic Open Mic Night Nottingham | Nottingham I’ll post the date here though, if I see it.

2 Likes

I just wrote a post about my positive experience with a collective-improvisation open mic format in the “improvised techno” thread: The improvised techno thread - #1633 by ccr

Leigh-On-Sea/Westcliff tonight if anyone fancies venturing out in the rain.

Is it okay to crosspost this here?

I’d appreciate any insight as to what I should take into account to make this a successful event for everyone involved.

1 Like