Electronic Open Mic Nights

I have been trying to get to the Chelsmford one for a while, unfortunately had to miss last night there. I will definitely try to get to the March one.

1 Like

Heads up for any Glasgow (and Glasgow-ish) folks… there is a second EMOM that’s being organised by the Noise Box folks at Bloc this coming Thursday. I’ll be playing a set at it which is my first gig for a few years so doubley excited about it. One of the artists has had to drop out unfortunately so the rest of us will have a slightly longer set… I might even try to sneak in a quick Autechre cover for laughs.

4 Likes

Nottingham (UK) EMOM have said they’re aiming for a February date - keep an eye on their Facebook page Electronic Open Mic Night Nottingham | Nottingham I’ll post the date here though, if I see it.

2 Likes

I just wrote a post about my positive experience with a collective-improvisation open mic format in the “improvised techno” thread: The improvised techno thread - #1633 by ccr

Leigh-On-Sea/Westcliff tonight if anyone fancies venturing out in the rain.

Is it okay to crosspost this here?

I’d appreciate any insight as to what I should take into account to make this a successful event for everyone involved.

1 Like

I have no experience of this, but I do remember seeing this, which should be useful ?

How to start your own EMOM night

1 Like

Thanks for the link, I am aware of the website and also in contact with Martin.
Still I’d like to hear from different people what they think is important.

1 Like

It’s incredible how having access to a weekly night help me grow. One of the benefits of London I guess.

2 Likes
  • It might seem obvious, but make sure you have access to an amp/speakers etc. or if you need to provide.

• Welcome those of any ability, they can be a great place for someones first adventures in playing live.

• And the show must go on - the last one I did the other 4 acts (we are a low key event but always on the lookout for other people to play) all had to pull out on the day, but I still went and those who watched appreciated it.

This was my set. I only had the Force a couple of weeks but wanted to try it out (
along with a Syntakt).

3 Likes

Weekly? Wow! How do the organizers manage to have such a frequent event? Or do they own the place?

Can you elaborate on your “growth” please? I am curious to hear in which aspects the event helped you :slight_smile:

All great tipps. Thanks for sharing your insights :slight_smile:

1 Like

Played one last night in Chelmsford. It’s a venue we’ve played plenty of times before, for various promoters and events, so was well aware of what was available and with sets being 20 mins in length and setting up whilst another act is playing, that insider knowledge really helps with the quick turnaround

It’s worth taking xlr and 1 /4 inch cables as some of the venues for these types of things aren’t always ‘music’ venues.

We always enjoy them as its a break from the banging stuff and we get to take a smaller rig - last night was a Dfam, syntakt, and a couple of pedals.

The ones we’ve been to, also encourage promotion and merchant sales, so worth thinking about.

There’s always a noise artist.

The crowds tend to be less ‘expectant’ and embrace experimental excursions.

Good places to make contacts and potential collabs.

Crowd will usually be knowledgeable about the gear and ask questions post set.

Be mindful of real estate when there’s lots of artists on the bill.

Stay to the end and support the other artists.

A few thoughts.

Edit:

You can see the next artist setting up, as we are playing in this clip.

3 Likes

It’s run by a rehearsal/studio space which also has a bar, so every Monday the bar area hosts the open night. You can bring your usb key and play a set on the CDj, bring your laptop and play something from it, I either bring my MPC or Sp-404 and play some beats.
Some play back their tracks and add vocals on it. It is quite open-genre, mostly electronic music.

As for growth, as it’s regular you get to hang out with people more, you can ask for direct feedback, you get more confident playing live, but more importantly for me, you compare yourself to real people at more or less your level and talk to them, sometimes have a bit of a friendly competition mindset, hear new ideas and get inspired…

3 Likes

Nice set! Really enjoyed this

1 Like

It might seem like a small thing, but make sure your PA system has a good limiter built into it, and that your sound person knows how to use it. I’ve been in audiences at EMOMs where I’ve been really quite concerned about hearing damage, as someone’s unusual setup suddenly has a volume peak through a high-powered PA system.

4 Likes

Awesome, thanks a lot!

Not again, I keep missing Chelmsford.

1 Like

Where’s a weekly one in London?

EDIT: I see you added more info later in the thread. Is the one you go to open to anyone, or just people who use the studios?

1 Like

Open to everyone, next one is on the 8th

1 Like