Electro AfroBeat suggestion request

Hi there!

I’ve been listening to Atoms for Peace’s album pretty extensively and I was wondering if you had any suggestions for similar artists mixing electronic music with analog drum and/or bass, or doing electro/techno mixed with traditional music.

Other artists that fit in the vibe I’m looking for are Dengue Dengue Dengue, Dj Khalab

or this collective from La Réunion

Any recommendation is welcome!

2 Likes

William Onyeabor

Auntie Flo: https://soundcloud.com/auntie-flo

I particularly liked his remix of Oumou Sangaré’s Djoukourou:

In terms of singular producers doing afrobeat inspired electro werks, i’ve always had a thang for débruit .

If you’re interested in the electronic music that’s actually coming out of Africa right now then you should check out genres such as gqom and kwaito. Here’s some releases from one of the main labels putting out right now.

2 Likes

Thievery Corporation

These guys have a studio pretty much over the road from my house.
Good people. Great original techno/african fusion, they perform live with two mpcs and a bunch of percussion.

If you like Dengue Dengue Dengue DO NOT go past Chancha Via Circuito

Or Mickael Seifu - Ethiopian Contemporary producer with some really nice stuff

Try also

Hailu Mergia - weird
Umoja - house afro
Francis Beybey - experimental genius from the 80s
Tabloman - good producer - techno / afro / latin /
Young Marco - house / afro / chill
Modu Moctar - vocoder & drum machines meets desert rock

are you talking about this big umbrella term known as “global bass”? Man there’s a bunch out there. My fave stuff that I have found so far is from two Portugese labels, Príncipe (Nigga Fox, one of their artists, also released on warp) and Enchufada. They’re both on bandcamp, I highly recommend checking these labels out (Dengue dengue dengue have releases on Enchufada btw).

Enchufada is perhaps a bit more mainstream, while príncipe stuff is minimal and more underground/grimey.

I’m a huge príncipe fanboy myself. That stuff inspires my own stuff a lot these days. Hoping to infuse that batida vibe to classical detroit techno sound, got some stuff cooking up but still some ways to go before I’ll have a full set to play with my elektrons.

PS: Here’s some more (for some reason the link creates an embed? These guys have a few releases on their camp actually…)

So many diverse suggestions, thanks a bunch!
There’s a lot to explore there!

I don’t know about global bass, I ll explore in that direction :grin:

Bandcamp provides a lot of good artists under the tag afrofuturism, although that terms is much broader than only afro techno.

yeah, there are alot of names for this stuff I guess… I’m no expert so no idea what would be the most appropriate term to use :nyan: I usually talk about global bass cuz it sounds like a broad descriptor (electronic music infusing world music elements)

Good stuff with Via Circuito, I am now familiar with the notion of cumbia digital.

Peter Power!

Príncipe has got some killer tracks!

1 Like

just remembered that Branko also hosts a weekly radio show. You can listen to the episodes on soundcloud. this is the latest one AFAIK

2 Likes