EHX Platform compressor

Found a very nice demo of this with a Digitakt:

7 Likes

Got re-interested in this pedal after watching this vid. Obviously DT has a comp now but this looks good with the drive and swell. Lack of input gain can be mitigated by just using the volume knob upstream. Anyone have one?

1 Like

It does sound pretty good and yea, the lack of threshold in comp mode is easily remedied by using output volume knobs of gear going in.

I’d been looking for something to use live, but I think that dedicating a stereo input and output pair on my Octatrack and using the Dynamix Comp plus the Dist fx on one track will get the job done, considering the EHX Platform is a digital device.

Still, I’d probably choose the EHX over an RNC or RNLA for live purposes if my OT wasn’t in the picture.

1 Like

I’m in the market for one compressor pedal myself. No too many stereo ones out there, mono will do I guess. How about this one? https://www.gearslutz.com/board/reviews/1205021-orange-amplification-kongpressor-pedal.html
Sound good and it’s affordable, probably even has good resale value. Anyone tried it?

Have been asked to collaborate with the creation of background soundscapes for a video installation.

We will be a few people and come in and out of the sound wall, have no further details yet.

I think I will just use the lyra 8 and a Meris Mercury 7 reverb.

Can someone confirm if the Platform limiter can brick wall my stereo signal before it goes to FOH/submixer? I do want little control of my own unpredictable signal… :tongue:

Should work.

See also here EHX Platform & Operation Overlord: stereo dynamics & drive

1 Like

Thx, will have a read later.

Edit: Indeed, should work. Checking Reverb market…

I’m about to put mine up for sale if you’re in the UK or Europe. Boxed, barely used, will throw in a couple of cables. Looking for around £110 plus postage.

Thx, I am in the EU (Berlin). Just made an offer on Reverb. We will see what happens.

1 Like

Anyone using this with Model Samples?
Seems the Limiter mode is preferred for techno.

How does it do with low end?
From what I have heard it doesn’t have the issues that FMR compressors have with low end that require an inline HPF in the side chain loop.

Alesis Micro Limiter is also good in this regard, but the added drive parameter on the Platform is appealing to me.

This is my post from another thread:
I did a little video with the Platform. Nothing scientific, just playing around with different settings and increasing the drive. I don’t know if there’s really a good subtle compressor setting for a whole mix here. I think it’s better suited for processing instruments or pumping effects and crunching up something with the drive circuit. But i often like to dirty up some tracks or whole mixes so i think it’ll stay behind the Model Samples for now.
For clean live use i would probably go with a RNC or RNLA instead.

Sound demo starts at about 1:30.

To my ears it keeps the low end pretty intact. I currently have it hooked up to the model samples and mainly use it for drum compression. Glueing a mix together works as well.

Here i used it on the master:

4 Likes

yea I’m sold.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Here are two sets I played using the Platform on the main output for some master glueing and I must say I’m super happy with the results, it helped even the volumes but the sound is pretty intact, nothing to report on the lower frequencies

Ratio was 30% on the knob (not sure what actual value this represents) short attack and longer decay, GR was about 4-6 dB and drive was on but at minimum because I didn’t want to destroy the sound :slight_smile:

Hope this helps

8 Likes

sounds good!

I ordered one last night. Looking forward to shooting it out against an Alesis MicroLimiter.

1 Like

I have one here, hooked up to my Model:Samples, along with an old trusty Alesis Micro Limiter.

I can’t say I have a preference between the two, but the drive section on the Platform is a huge bonus.

The Micro Limiter can be pushed a bit harder leaving you with less artifacts and much more gain left on the knob to make up with. It will distort at extreme settings, but not in an unpleasant way. And the single release knob does the job for keeping things from getting too pump-suck-artifacty. It’s simple and doesn’t sound bad for electronic music.
It’s hard to make sound bad.

On the EHX, you can get that gain back with the drive section’s volume knob. With the actual drive knob giving you more overdrive and color. It’s kinda like a 1 knob analog heat, when heard in conjunction with the compressor/limiter (which is the only way to use it, you can use both sections or just the comp/limiter, but you can’t just hear the drive.
It’s a nice add on, allowing you to control that heaviness, and you can certainly go crazy with it if you wish. There is a lot of variation over the life of that knob even though just turning it up a little gets things going.
The soft knee switch is another bonus that helps control the pump-suck gnarliness at high settings.
Lots to tweak and get your sound dialed in just right.

It feels like the Alesis is brick walling harder when it comes to peaks, it’s very set and forget, and it can squash harder.
Where as the EHX Platform takes a bit more tweaking on the release knob to find that sweet spot. It’s easier to over do it, and takes some more time dialing in. To my ears, the Platform is letting more peaks through and doesn’t have as fast an attack, even in limiter mode.

Moral of the story, either will do the job.
But if you have both, it’s good that they have unique strengths.
The two together is quite nice. :slight_smile:
If you’ve had bad luck with an RNC/RNLA at high compression settings doing bad things to bass, and never got around to the inline HPF loop in the side chain, I’d go with the Micro Limiter as it can compress far more before making your low end go south.

10 Likes

here’s a quick little Model Samples + Platform beat down.
I love techno.

no other processing whatsoever

11 Likes

@AdamJay that track was bangin’! Really takes me back to the Frankie Bones days!

2 Likes

This is super helpful. I’ve been looking for a “master glue” compressor/limiter for my live sets and I think this may be an affordable solutions.

Also, I dig your tunes! :slight_smile: Well done

Just wanted to report back. Ordered one of these and I really like the sound, wanted to love it, but unfortunately I’m going to have to return it because it has pretty bad digital zipper noise when changing parameters in real-time (drive, tone and both volume controls). The tone knob also introduced distracting clicks occasionally. Worth knowing about if you want to perform with it. No problem if you just want to set and forget.

Edit a few days later: Love it so much that I decided to keep it anyway, even with a bit of zipper noise. Works great with Nord Drums.

4 Likes

I never had that issue and I have 2 of them.