EHX Platform compressor

The more I use it, the more I find a broad range of tone from it.

Gain staging is everything. I use Limiter mode with a soft knee mostly, and am find that even when I hit the limiter real hard, I can get a wide range of saturation based on the two volume pots.

The signal flow is
Input -> Compressor/Limiter -> Overdrive
so not hitting the overdrive’s input so hard (or hitting it hard) can really change the vibe of the track.

It’s great to have the flexibility, but I had kinda hoped that Limiter mode would be more set-and-forget, like an Alesis Micro Limiter. So now I am finding my sweet spot and going back and re-balancing all my M:S tracks to that setting.

3 Likes

What settings do you use for attack, sustain and release in limiter mode, to get a soft saturated signal?

Sustain = threshold in Limiter mode, so that is entirely program dependent and pointless to share. Set that to taste.

Attack fastest, Release about 1 o’clock.
Knee set to soft.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing, seems like perfect starting point. I have a RNLA I my chain before the Platform, but are considering picking up a Micro Limiter, as I find the RNLA takes a bit of adjustment before it sounds good in a live setting.

1 Like

I’ve had the EHX Platform for about two weeks now strapped across my TR8S that has an SH01A running through it. Tonight, I was running the master into Ableton via the USB interface in my Soundcraft Signature 12 so I can pass things through a spectrograph. Just for my own curiosity. I noticed that the Platform has a steep hi cut filter @ roughly 15.5KHz when it’s on. This is in all modes and unaffected by any settings on the pedal. It’s not there when the pedal is bypassed. Can’t find anything in the EHX specifications that details this. Anyone noticed or know of documentation to support this? Unsure why they would put a hi cut filter there and not mention it in their spec sheet. Seems odd when making claims of ‘studio quality’ (not that I am expecting that from a pedal ;)).

Am I mad? No. Can I hear a difference. Not in the room that I currently work in. Do I particularly want to be cutting all of that information out? Well, no. I’d like the choice about what I’m removing from my sources.

Pics:

EHX Platform - Bypass

EHX Platform - On

2 Likes

the Tone knob in the drive section is a hi cut.
I wonder if it was not properly calibrated on your device?

I’d test mine buy I just gave it to a friend earlier today.

Just the person I hoped would reply :wink:

It may be a calibration issue. The Tone knob’s cut isn’t at all that steep and that filter cut is present and unchanged regardless or any setting on the pedal. It only disappears when you hit the bypass switch.

Do you still have yours and perhaps have a moment to check is this is present on yours? It would help if I need to exchange or engage support.

:slight_smile:

Afraid not, just gave it to a friend across the country, as it was going unused.

1 Like

All good. I’ll shoot EHX an email to support and see what the answer is.

Same here. Cut at 16 kHz.

Good for me. 17 kHz is madness for the ears.

5 Likes

Appreciate you checking :slight_smile: I won’t claim to be able to hear up in that range but that is where the ‘air’ is. It’s more about knowing when a steep cut in that range is being applied then it is about perceived sonic differences. Using a term like ‘studio quality’ in your marketing materials would imply revealing something of this nature in your specifications. I have no misconceptions about a $250 pedal being studio quality though. :wink: It still does nice things when strapped over the TR8S!

I posted on the EHX forums just for clarification/confirmation. I’ll post the details back here for anyone that might be interested. I imagine that it is very much intended.

2 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to push it further. I’m really curious about their answer.

I reached out to EHX for information regarding the steep hi cut filter that is in place while the pedal is engaged and they confirmed my suspicions; the hi cut filter is in place to prevent aliasing.

The EHX forum ‘employee’ deferred me to info@ehx.com regarding my questions about the specifications of the AD/DA converter. It’s been 4 days and no reply so I am going to assume that they do not want to reveal this information.

I would think that any device that claims ‘Studio-quality compressor/limiter lets the user precisely tune dynamics regardless of the instrument or situation.’ as the first point in its marketing material wouldn’t use an AD conversion sample rate less than 44.1KHz. If they were using this sample rate then a steep hi cut filter just above the audible range at 21KHz or something with a more gentle slope at 18KHz or 20KHz would be more than enough to mitigate aliasing issues.

Having a steep hi cut filter to prevent aliasing at 15KHz suggests an AD conversion sample rate
of less than 44.1KHz. This is not a conversion that I want to run my entire program through. And, while I can’t hear much above 15KHz, cutting out the entire ‘air’ region of my program could most certainly be noticed/felt in a live setting.

Does this mean the Platform is an unusable product? No. Let your ears be the judge. Personally, I want to preserve as much of the audible spectrum as possible while retaining the ability to shape my program as I see fit. I am also not comfortable with the lack of transparency in the Platform’s specifications or the marketing materials that led to a purchase decision that is unusable for my intended purpose.

I have since returned this device for a refund.

Hopefully this information helps others to make a more informed decision before purchasing an EHX Platform.

12 Likes

Thank you very much for the follow up!

Setting aside the 15K cutoff discussion, I initially scored this pedal on sale for around $100US. I was, however, disappointed in its sound at the time and boxed it away after a while.

Now, nearly 2 years later, I stumbled across some videos (like in this thread) with the Platform applied to more electronic content, and I decided to dig it out again and give it a go.

Strangely, I now like what it’s doing. In particular, I’m running it on some Drambo content coming out of my iPad Pro, and the EHX is beefing things up nicely. Why I like it now and disliked it when I first got it is kind of a mystery to me at the moment.

Well, now I’m glad I held on to the thing. It has something going for it that I seem to have missed the first time around.

I might try running it in parallel with a clean signal and see where that takes me.

7 Likes

Anyone have experience with this pedal know if it will produce a good sidechain effect?

The manual says

“STEREO IN, STEREO OUT: Left In & Right In -> Left Out & Right Out:
The left and right audio signals remain separate through all effects “blocks,” including the Compressor/Limiter, Overdrive and Swell. The compressor’s sidechain—which is the signal path that controls the compressor’s gain reduction—sums together the left and right input signals to make one balanced mono signal in which to control the compressor. The sidechain acts on both left and right gain control equally so that sudden changes in the left or right input signal will not ruin the stereo balance of the source material.”

From my understanding this mans that if you have drums on one channel, the other channel will sidechain whatever’s on there (like your synth pads?). People keep talking about the empress compressor’s sidechain - does this compare at all?

Apparently Ovnilab hates this pedal, but won’t say why - anyone have an opinion on it?

Thanks!

I haven’t tried to use it as a sidechain compressor. I think it doesn’t work like that. If you have a kick on the left and some pads in the right both signals will get effected. Maybe the pads will get ducked but the kick will also be compressed.

isn’t that what sidechain is though? i’m not experienced with this so i could be totally wrong but that’s what I thought it was, to get the pads pumping from the compressor reacting to the drums

“Sidechain” is a few different things depending on context. First (and the way EHX is using it in the manual) the “sidechain” is the part of the signal path of a compressor that “triggers” gain reduction. When one sets the threshold level of a compressor (the level over which the compressor starts turning stuff down), the signal the compressor actually looks at to see if it is over the threshold is the “sidechain”.

In many compressors, this sidechain is the same thing as (or is derived from) the main input signal. So if you feed it drums with loud bits and soft bits, the loud bits will trigger the compressor which will make them soft.

Some compressors, however, let you specify the sidechain signal independently. So you could feed it drums on the main channel, but give it, say, vocal narration on the sidechain. Now the compressor doesn’t care what bits of the drums are loud and which bits are soft. It only cares about the levels of the narration — it makes all of the drums quieter when someone is speaking (this particular setup is usually called “ducking”).

So now, the kind of techno pumping “sidechain” you’re talking about is a specific effect achieved by putting everything but your kicks through the main input of the compressor but triggering compression only with your kicks by routing only the kicks to the sidechain. The as a result, the compressor doesn’t care at all about the loud bits or soft bits of what you’re sending through main. It just makes it quieter whenever the kick hits. This “ducks” the non-kick content leaving the kick untouched and making room for it in the mix. Depending on the release settings of the comp, it can also make a pumping effect that is sometimes desired and sometimes not.

This is not how the EHX operates. You essentially have no control over the sidechain. It just takes the main (stereo) signal, sums it to a mono signal, and uses that to trigger compression. The only reason “sidechain” is even mentioned is to make clear that the pedal doesn’t output mono — that the mono signal it sums is only used to control the compressor.

So what’s the big deal? If you have a mix with a bunch of stuff and a really loud kick on top, and use all that to trigger the compressor, won’t it still (depending on threshold) make just the parts with the loud kick quieter? Yes, but with one big difference — because the kick is part of the mix, it’ll make all of it quieter, proportionally. So if you have a bass in there that’s muddying up your kick, it’ll still be there, and still muddy. If you can sidechain your kick, you can squash everything under it while leaving the kick untouched, “making room” for it in the mix and giving it much more impact as a result.

6 Likes

thanks @jemmons for the in depth reply, that makes perfect sense.

ok so in that case, i can’t do any ducking to clear room for one instrument, but could still get a pumping effect that would operate on everything, including the kicks?