EHX Freeze/Superego Effect w/ Octatrack

Hey guys,

Trying to reduce my live setup. I currently run my Yamaha Reface CP into the Octatrack via an EHX Superego (Freeze with more knobs) to achieve a specific sound that is on the record.

Has anyone got any ideas about recreating that kind of hold sound in the Octatrack alone? Bonus points if it uses only one track?

Thanks!

Tom

The echo freeze delay? It requires a bit of practice, but turns the OT into a EHX supersuperego with hands on control over the delaytimes on your track buttons!

(if I recall correct, my eyes canā€™t read the manual on a phone anymore)

1 Like

Hereā€™s a tutorial video:

Donā€™t recall it needs to be on the master track or notā€¦ I am off to print a manual :wink:

1 Like

Thanks but thatā€™s more of a stutter effect, rather than an infinite reverb hold thing? Am I missing something?

1 Like

Yeah, I think he heard the name of the effect and just thought freeze delay. I think you can do it with the delay. Max out the delay and then turn off the send. after a bit. Let me know if that works?

With the correct envelope settings and retrig/delay you can emulate a quasi-freeze effect!

I own the freeze pedal and I wrote a fft based algorithm in max to emulate timestretch to 0, it never really ā€˜freezesā€™ a sound, but ā€˜echoesā€™ it. There are granular methods for this effect too in max. You have either digital artifacts from the sampling and playback or from other methods as fourier transformations. My guess is EHX uses a filter and delay to obtain itā€™s ā€˜freezeā€™, so an OT with some parameter and retrig tweaking should be able to get close enough!

The question was to emulate a sound already created, maybe post the sound itself and we can think of creative OT solutions!

Excusez moi pour le rants, too much coffee, hahaHAHAAAA!!

Yeah actually! I should have put this in the original post.

This is the sound: https://www.instagram.com/p/BI47xC-jx9H/?taken-by=poisonous.birds

1 Like

A hard and fun way, I would try:

By sampling the note, retrig/delay with a slow attack, it will give you a tremelo/gated sideeffect (but you can hear the ā€œtremeloā€ effect in your video as well). Filter a bit of your high end and use a reverb to blend it together.
You have to be able to switch the effect on and off, though. I would let the direct input (assuming you use live input) open and create a track sampling your input constantly with the appropriate envelope settings, then use the track mute to switch it on and off. You could use a midi expression pedal to control the volume to do beautiful swells, but this is another topic.

A quick option (not the same effect):

Use a dark reverb with a very long ā€˜timeā€™ setting and filter to taste, control the ā€˜sendā€™ pot to feed it the right note at the right time.
All of this would still require one hand :raised_back_of_hand:! So to replace the ease of a stompbox you would need a midi foot controller or single handed keyboard skillsā€¦

Hope it helps, or inspires! Usually there are live solutions and workaroundswithin the OT, I used it live in a complex band setup and it surprised me how flexible it can be.

I donā€™t have the OT in front of my right now to try it out and say for certain, but I think this is the way I would go about creating such an effect. I would set up a flex track with the dark reverb in the second slot. You could place a recorder trig on this flex track, so the track is constantly sampling from either a thru track or from the inputs directly. You could also set this recorder trig as a one-shot trig so it only samples a new clip when you arm the track.

If you set the reverb time to max, it will repeat infinitely. This will probably get out of control if the sample keeps repeating and the verb keeps building, so you could assign a trigless trig to lock the mix on the reverb, or assign a scene to the mix parameter. The delay would perhaps be more ideal for this job, because you can p-lock both the mix and the send controls. If you set a filter before the delay and set the delay time to be short, Iā€™d imagine you could get some very nice freeze-like effects. Another bonus of using the delay is you could use the delay control mode to chop up the time of the repeats, which would probably be really interesting.

A super cool benefit to using a flex track for this is that you can trig the sample chromatically, so if you want an octave up freeze effect, you can do that by setting the pitch parameter, or you could have two scenes where one turns the mix up on its own, and another changes the pitch and the mix.

I hope this helps! Play around with it, and even if it doesnā€™t perfectly recreate the freeze, in the least, it is the OT, so you know it will probably be awesome :sunglasses:

1 Like

Just to pipe inā€¦Mutable Instruments Clouds is pretty amazing and has a freeze function. Itā€™s great to hook it up as a send effect. Just thought Iā€™d mention it.

This controlled by a scene is perfect!