Effects From Analog Rytm on Analog Heat//Not another which elektron box? thread

Think @maymind_trax is referring to the OG AH and AHmk2. The new AH+ has a compressor and other digital effects. Keep in mind the comp would be much more similar to the one on the Digitakt as opposed to the analog compressor on AR.

Keep in mind it’s pretty early on in the Syntakt’s life cycle, I would not be surprised to see them add one eventually via update like what happened to the Digitakt.

ty, god thats an insane amount of money for digital compressor then. :upside_down_face:

Yes, was referring to the original Analog Heat since that’s what the OP seemed to be referring to.

No personal experience with the AH+FX.

1 Like

thanks all, any thoughts on oto boum in this context? seems like more of what I’m looking for for signifigantly less than the heat

Ah that’s interesting to know. I pretty much assumed most Elektron boxes have similar, but surprised that’s not the case. Nice. Goad i have the Rytm then.

I use Boum with my ST, I personally love it and find the combo better than AR soundwise, but that might be a personal preference.
Boum is a sure shot imo. Both as a compressor and distorsion + filter + master level combo, from crunch to wild.
This said, you can use the AFX bus to get some pseudo compression on the ST, don’t hesitate to play with Amp Env on this bus track, it’s much fun.

1 Like

Interesting, thank you, I guess I’ve been using lots of makeup gain in the compression, didnt give much thought for using the envelope to drive the syntakts drive circuit being a similar idea. once my syntakt is back I’ll give this a shot.

1 Like

@LyingDalai do you use FM or Analog machines with that combo? or both?

While the machines are from the AR, the ST I found them to be pretty gutless compared to the FM machines.

1 Like

I use both digital and analo machines on ST.
I prefer ST kicks and snares, and FM machines are very cool to have.

I got some very wild sound cranking up the Boum on some bass sounds from ST, using it somehow as a mono synth ^^

1 Like

@anthonyreyn you might dig this video, like how he conceptualizes the Effects track as having an extra stereo filter and distortion pedal. One of my favorite videos for for more conventional use of the effects track, my other being @Humanprogram 's advanced turn the effects track into cue effects!

3 Likes

Love my ST, check my playlist for lots of stuff using the in-build distortion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtUKir1706A&list=PL-MKoQp4lob1fUD5DAyDqKQuutxNeZsZI&index=4

… and everytime I turn on my ST, I get something harder out of it :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: Two recent sketches …

But I wonder, isn’t distortion the thing everybody wants but nobody ever uses except slightly turning it up, nodding it’s there and then quickly turn it down as if it would burn the fingers …

2 Likes

thanks for sharing this, its a great demo of why I’m not a fan, at best its very subtle, at its most driven it just sounds like its clipping.

1 Like

thanks Jeanne, not to dork out but I’m a huge fan, your videos are why I bought syntakt (then sold it, then bought it again) lol, HOW DO YOU GET THESE BEAUTIFUL, CRUNCHY KICKS??? this is coming from the distortion circuit (not the drive effect?)? Fm drums mainly? I know you did a video recently on analog only .

1 Like

Wow, thank you <3 I have to look it up in the projects, but if I remember correctly it’s some analog kick, and sometimes layered with a digital click. Of course always using all there is (LFOs*, Filter, …).

A key of /my/ workflow is to decide what to throw into the analog drive, and what not. If carefuly placed in the spectrum, it can be almost all tracks together :stuck_out_tongue:

All my videos are just the direct-out with an unbalanced cable (recently upgraded to balanced #fancy ).

*Edit: For example, you can design the pitch envelope further if you use one of the lfos (-> tune, exp) … that can get really explosive …

3 Likes

you could/should sell a machines pack of them as templates, I’d love to see how you do it

or sounds, not sure how they would be imported in this context

1 Like

She does!!

You use the transfer app to transfer the sounds.

1 Like

ohp, I walked right into that one, once its back I’ll give it a try

Can confirm. This is the way.

Sometimes it’s a choice: I just want to change the tone of something, give it a bit more fizz. Often is is fear, fear that all you’ll hear is distortion and not the nice qualities of the sound I had before, and that everyone else will get tired of it being so loud. It’s definitely some kind of imposter syndrome. I also know that I love other peoples’ uses of distortion.

I love both my AR and ST and use them alongside. I do prefer that I can select which tracks to send to the ST AFX distortion over the AR master fx. More flexible.

I wish it would allow to still pass the dry channel too. That s my favorite use of AH: parallel disto&filter.

Of course whether the disto’s sound good is a personal affair. If it s not your taste you ll have to look elsewhere.

I do really miss kits on the ST…

Get over it! Embrace the mighty fuzz :wink:

1 Like