Effect box for the OT

Are you thinking about getting this? It piqued my interest but I haven’t seen one in action.

Seems really interesting, but I’d rather buy a Zoia before…
And I’m computer allergic (required for patches creation).
I wonder how are the loopers though…

1 Like

I sit in front of a computer all day so I’m the same. When it is time to make music, no computer screens or touchscreeens allowed but, I guess you would only use a computer when programming or loading patches so it might be okay for me. I have Zoia so I don’t really need this. Looks cool though.

1 Like

I did get the PiSound where you could load ModDuo, and yes it’s powerful, and yes you have to sit in front of a computer to set it up. You can use a web browser on your phone too. But it’s not for me. I also tried the Zoia, which is powerful, but I felt again I was programing something and realized I like effect pedal that does one thing and one thing well.

From this thread, I ended up buying the Red Panda particle, which was so far from what I needed that I only used it for a couple days. I then tried the Volante from Strymon which had all the right thing, stereo, full Midi implementation, solid box and such, sounds amazing, but feels a little gimmicky. Like it’s really trying hard to emulate a tape delay with all the noise and mechanical twitch…

Anyway, still trying hard, but the last two pedal I am thinking now is the Zen Delay, which seems to really well complement my setup or the Microcosm… I have the Avalanche Run from EarthQuaker and I realize that I really like it, although there is no midi in, there is a tap tempo.

It seems like there is not a lot of pedal that does delay AND reverb at the same time, which I end up really liking.

But this video of the Zen Delay really sold it for me, as you can really hear a lot of what the pedal can do (and you know it’s not coming from the synth :D)

1 Like

Did you check Audiothingies Doctor A?

I wish there were some new effects boxes instead of the traditional Delay and Reverb. Something a bit more wild.

1 Like

Nice that checks a lot of box, stereo, midi reverb AND (not or) delay!!! but using a Lobster font? It’s so 2010!! For a pedal!! (My designer self really gets in the way sometime!!) But really this is an awesome pedal. Have you tried it?

Yeah it seems hard to do something that is new and wild and not completely random. Using the Red Panda Particle, which is kind of new in the sense of noise making, I couldn’t help but thinking that I like to mangle the sound from my synth, not from my effect pedal.

The way I see it now, is my effect pedal is like the paper I use for water color. It gives an effect to the painting, but the painting is the primary art form.

I have a Mood which is being shipped to me, so I should be able to try this pedal which seems to be a new way for effect pedal, which blends 2 effects in a looping way.

But this is what I like about the Zen Delay, it’s a analog over drive (with tube amp) which makes a really smooth overdrive, with a solid filter AND a delay added to the whole mix which seems to be pointing to an interesting mix and match of effect in one pedal.

Another pedal that I am looking into is the Collision Devices Black Hole Symmetry, which is not stereo or midi capable, but seems to have a good mix of different effect in one box.

@qlamerand?

1 Like

(Don’t look at their Micromonsta 2, then…)

Organelle is pretty good as fx box for OT (amongst many, many other things) you don’t even really need to program it if you don’t want to, thanks to the 100’s of patches already available for it. Using ORAC by @thetechnobear you can chain your own custom fx configurations including some of the mutable instruments adaptions, plus tons of other stuff like eqs, filters, delays, reverbs, compressors etc. And you can use the OT to control the parameters using CCs/notes.

It is a little bit techy to do the more advanced stuff, and programming your own patches via PD is a rabbit hole that may or may not be intriguing to you, but even using the included factory and community patches give a lot of value for money, and also more importantly a lot of fun.

3 Likes

Yeah I started my techno making over 10 years ago with PureData and Processing actually. It’s really what got me into making my own music, but I have to say that when it comes to making sound, I just can’t take the technology anymore!!! I mean a little bit is fine, I would say the OT is as far as I want to go with complexity nowdays!

That being say the organelle is a sweet looking device. I love what they are doing with the Eysey too! I’ve actually built myself an Eysey (with my PiSound card after all) and it’s pretty sweet.

Yes, well not with the OT (I don’t have it anymore, and yes, I regret it) but with many stuff (even modular level audio, +19dB !!!). It’s just perfect for me. Good reverb and MIDI-synch’d delay + extra cv modulation and even presets. The pots are solid and big enough. And it’s reasonably priced.
Labels could be in Comic Sans in pink on a red background, I would still love it!
@ponnuru @elektrosamplist

1 Like

Any Drolo FX pedal?
Check the Stretch Weaver if you want unconventional FX.

I am saving for a Zoia

Try going through the Lyra 8 if you want wild. Not a pedal, but crazy fun

Any multistomp allowing to chain different FX would work wonders.
Of curse the Zoia and any Mod are amazing, but so difficult to justify for me when you can get a lot of digital multistomp under 100€ second hand :wink:

Zoom ms-70 cdr

1 Like

i have my OT midi and audio going into/out of iConnect Audio4+

i setup my gear so that i can play AUM back thru my MC707 and use AUM to have the OT go thru a compressor EQ/filter.

i tried to find a way to do everything HEAT can do and more, with an iPad.

so far, i’m pretty happy with results, i can sequence iOS synth from my OT or MC707 and then play that audio back thru the MC707 or merge with OT main audio track out.

i like to pat myself on the back for how clever i am, but i still am not happy and don’t finish anything LoL…

1 Like

For wild I like OT flanger and comb filter with near max feedback then trapped in delay, but it’s something you mix in and out quickly rather than on all the time. If delay and reverb are key aspects of your sound then another fx unit is a must. If you just need a bit here and there then I reckon OT is good enough. I use a lot of layers of sound so don’t use those fx loads.

1 Like