ECC-3 vs ECC-4 bags

Is anyone aware of exact internal dimensions of the ECC-3 and ECC-4 bags? I’m trying to decide which to buy, but I cannot find any size/dimension specs on elektron.se.

I have a RYTM MK1 and am in need of a bag. I’ve heard that the smaller ECC-3 bag just barely fits the MK1 products, with no room for cables. It would be great to see photos of the ECC-3 vs ECC-4 bags with products placed in them, or a table of dimensions. Can anyone help with this?

-Mike

Sorry, I don’t have them handy but I own both of them. The ECC-4 is HUGE. It easily holds a RYTM mkII or A4 plus decksaver lid plus a ton of cables on the interior compartment (or two Digitone/Digitakt/HeatMkII units side by side). There’s a zippered cabled case on the inside of the main compartment, a padded laptop section behind it (accessed with a side zipper), and the generous front pocket which easily holds an Eventide Factor series pedal and related cabling.

The ECC-3, by contrast, is diminutive. It will hold in the interior, tightly, one MkI unit or one Digitone-sized module plus cables. The front pocket might hold a factor series pedal but I think you’d be pushing it if it even fit - it’s more sized for the mid-sized Strymon or Meris pedals. My H9 which is rather fat, barely fits, and there’s not much room for cabling.

However, if you’re carrying just a 'takt or 'tone, the ECC3 is perfect as it will hold your cables, a single effect or smaller outboard piece of gear in the pocket, and your unit plus the decksaver, and be easily transported.

The ECC4 is on the bulky side and I really wish they’d made it a backpack as well as a sling bag - it’s slightly too large to be a comfortable sling.

If you’re carrying a Mk1 product, you have two choices: go with the ECC-3, fit the cables in the front pocket and the product in the main compartment, and that’s IT. Small, compact, perfect, but nothing extra. It’s small enough that it isn’t awkward to carry your normal backpack too, if you’re a backpack sort of person.

Or you can slap a laptop, your unit, all the cables you need, an extra effect or whatever, and still have room leftover for your daily carry in the ECC-4. But that’s going to be the only case you’ll want to take with you.

I also wish they didn’t slap their logos so prominently on the sides of them, as they scream Steal Me, but that’s easily fixed with an iron-on decal… :wink:

The materials seem waterproof-ish, as there’s a heavy PVC backing on the outer fabric, but the zippers are clearly not waterproof, so I’d call them “rain resistant” in total, and I wouldn’t deliberately leave them anywhere they’re definitely going to get soaked. However, I wouldn’t panic if I got rained on for a few minutes enroute to a gig or a practice session.

4 Likes

Hey!
I have the OT MK2, which AFAIK has identical dimensions to your AR MK1.
I also have ECC-3 and ECC-4 bags. I’d say they’re definitely intended for tight fitting - check out these photos:

OT MK2 (comparable to AR MK1) in ECC-3:

Here’s the OT MK2 within the way larger ECC-4:

For completeness, here’s the AR MK2 (identical size as A4 MK2) in the ECC-4:
IMG_20180925_110542_559_text

The inner dimenions are like this (the bags do bend/stretch a bit, so someone else might measure them slightly differently):

• ECC-4: 41 x 28 cm
  • ECC-3: 36 x 21 cm

Note that both bags have an outside pocket:

• the ECC-4 easily fits power and midi cables and there, and a bit more.
  • The ECC-3’s outside pocket is way smaller, but also has room for power cables.
    In addition, the ECC-4 has an interior, detachable bag.

Can do more photos/measurements!

PS: I’m super happy about both bags. Huge investment, especially with the deck savers - but so worth it.

7 Likes

Thanks for this, I’m wondering if a TR-8S would fit in the ECC-4. Its dimensions are 40.9 x 26.3 cm which would suggest it would, but that is a few cm bigger in each direction than a Mk2 AR/A4 so it might be a bit too much of a squeeze. How much space is there around your AR Mk2? You say it’s a pretty snug fit?

1 Like

the 27cm would definitely work.
i’m unsure about the 41 – it might be just a bit too tight at the corners of the bag.
i don’t have a TR-8S, so can’t test :confused:

1 Like

No problem, thanks.

1 Like

Thanks everyone, this is very helpful!

1 Like