@Eaves / Ivar Tryti’s Music

You’ve always been the caretaker there sir.

grady

2 Likes

If you’re interested, I made a detailed (read: long-winded) tutorial on how I do it. I recorded it in one take so I’m tripping over my own words now and then, but I think I got the important parts across!

5 Likes

Really nice work here. Good job.

1 Like

I was inspired by this MUD (Multi User Dungeon) called Star Conquest. I’m skipping a lot of details here, but it’s a sci-fi game where you play as a civilian pilot working to help your government rebuild after a war with aliens. My character joined a convoy of exploration ships along with a few other players to visit a space station called Feng Wo. It took us 4 real life days to reach the station (making a couple of pit stops), and exploring the station was really fun, especially the market there. Here’s the description of one of the areas that inspired me:

“An old-style market place thrives in this wide L-shaped corridor. Red and orange lanterns hang from the ceiling, casting a warm glow over throngs of colorfully dressed people shopping at small booths set up along the walls of the corridor and down its center. Vendors call out to the many passersby, gesturing and holding up their merchandise for inspection. At the west end of the corridor, several elderly people drink tea and play an odd game of tiles set up on low black tables. They seem completely oblivious to the near chaos around them. The wide corridor continues to the north and west, and, nearly hidden by the numerous advertisements plastered to the metal walls, smaller corridors lead somewhere east and south.”

All audio is coming from the Digitakt. The samples one shot samples from Image Line’s Lo-Fi Box and World Samples. I added a limiter in post.

The game that inspired this track: http://squidsoft.net:7779/

Thanks for listening!

1 Like

I made it a goal to learn how to use the compressor with a bit more subtlety. I couldn’t help myself and this track ended up very compressed.

I tried using fine tune instead of notes to make melodies, along with the usual loud drums. All audio is coming from the Digitakt. I used one shot samples for both melodies and drums, and the only thing I added in post was a limiter.

I made a tutorial on how I make the drums: https://youtu.be/YSCrbF-u7gE

Thanks for listening!

22 Likes

i’ve really enjoyed all your vids but this is handsdown the best DT thing i’ve seen. if anyone asks what’s possible, i’ll show them this stonker! cheers for sharing :smiley:

1 Like

Brilliant. I think any solo groovebox benefits from healthy doses of compression for beat stuff.
Love the use of fine tune, something I wish my OT had.

1 Like

So I guess …hmmm :thinking: … mission failed? :wink:

Nevertheless: :+1:

The pitch control of the OT is coarse and fine tune combined. Is there more to wish for?

1 Like

I almost always slam the compressor on mine. It just sounds so good and fits my genre very well.

1 Like

A+ Love the texture

2 Likes

Yes. More than 5 increments of fine tune between each semitone.

1 Like

This is damn good! Squash that beat.

1 Like

Thank you @garf, @Microtribe, @tnussb, @DataStrain, @knobgoblin, @LittleRooms! Really appreciate the compliments! I have to admit I only made a small effort to use less compressor, but I plan on really taking on the challenge soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

Like it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very inspiring- your resample vid is sick too.

1 Like

Thanks @j-lite! I hope the tutorial was helpful :slight_smile:

That was freaking great!

1 Like

Thank you! I’ve been experimenting more with using fine tune instead of pitch to make “melodies”, the results are pretty interesting.

1 Like

I like that. Its like microtonality :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks, @mess5!