Dual VCO / DVCO

I find myself lusting for the rytm mk II for the first time, because now I think that internal resampling would be the final cherry on top, making the rytm a true one-stop shop for electronic drums. Also the thought of being able to multitrack all voices + master at full quality via USB, very appealing!

Still, I cannot get over the bigger size. Pathetic, I know. I’ll just resample in the DAW and retransfer the samps. At least I will be able to hear how the sample sounds in the rytm before dumping the sample, so getting processing ”just right” should be doable. Oh wait, no overbride ATM…

2 Likes

yea, perhaps DVCO + OB = me getting over my footprint size complaints.

2 Likes

Mk1’s are very cheap now!

MKI’s are still an extremely desirable instrument - make no mistake

6 Likes

Although i think this is a great add to the Rytm, at first sight i think it’s kind of strange to use a drum machine to make basslines … is it possible to side compress the VCO to the drum kick ?

2 Likes

I really like the MKII version. The size is perfect imo. I was concerned about it being too big as well, but it’s just right. Just updated the OS myself, and didn’t think I’d care much about the DVCO, but it does sound really good. Better than the impression I was getting from demos. I haven’t even used the sampling feature yet, but all the cosmetic changes such as the slight tilt, and less clutter is making playing with this thing very enjoyable, and I find it all very worth the upgrade price.

2 Likes

IIRC you always said the beggier size was a non-issue to you?

You did make kicks with the DVCO already right? IMO its a new kick flavour, and a very velcome addition to the sound pallette.

1 Like

I’ve only had it since last Tuesday. I’ve really been liking the tiny footprints of the DN/DT, and was of the mindset that I’d rather the MKII versions be the same size as the OT MKII when seeing comparisons of their sizes. But having it right in front of me now, the size seems just right, and things feel a lot less cluttered (I owned the RYTM MKI for a bit right when it came out).

Haven’t tried making kicks with the DVCO yet, but did mess with layering samples with analog engines tonight. It’s a bit tricky to get it to sound right, but it sounds really good when it does.

I also like layering ”M1-esque” rompler sounds/chords with the cowbell engine… Sometimes you find really nice combos with pitch, detune amt and the right chord interval/harmonics in the sample!

But yeah, give them DVCO kicks a try. Between the BT machine, FM kick machine, Silky BD, Impulse filterping kick and now the DVCO, I find I can dial in pretty much any kick I happen to have in mind, without it sounding too klicky and sproingy too :diddly:

Of course, for some kicks you just use a sample, but otherwise… :wink:

Just gave the DVCO a first spin. Man what a treat! I’ve only toyed with basslines and yes, there is definitely good, raw 'n dirty bass in there. Maybe if it had been in there from the beginning I wouldn’t have bought a Circuit Mono Station (though having a separate synth is more practical for live jamming). I’m afraid my under-used Monomachine will get even less love now.

To answer a question posted somewhere above: why have such synth in a drum machine? Well quite a few people use the AR for more than traditional drum sounds. Having capable mono synth tracks in there opens up the pallet even more. Great for compact (live) setups too. I’ve produced complete tracks on just the Machinedrum. The AR can def do that too.

Thanks Elektron.

2 Likes

Yah same thought here as soon as I learned what the D was.

Its 6 OSC, no? Are we talking 6-op FM? Is that why there are empty parameter slots?

My head reels…

1 Like

Fuck me, now I’m starting to think I should pick up an Analog Rytm mk1. The support for the transfer app is a big thing for me and the Dual VCO seems very tasty.

5 Likes

I mean if you’re in the market for a drum machine mkIs are stupid cheap for what it offers.

I have a MK1 and I was thinking about trading it for a MK2 just because I’m a little afraid that in the near future Elektron will release some update that will only work in the new machines. Not sure about it, but we all know that those guys are not very much into this full disclosure thing.

Wow, I just made an awesome sound with the DVCO, but when I changed my pattern I couldn’t find it and lost it. :dizzy_face:

Theyre also into showing love for as long as they can.

Aside from the better USB (edit: and sampling), nothing about the innards have changed, so “important” stuff should hold over.

3 Likes

just like the current os then, but otherwise (sampling aside) there is 100% electronic parity between devices afaict, so there’s absolutely no reason to be pessimistic on that front if a MK1 is on your radar

it’s more realistic to be worried about there being any updates given how stretched things seem to be presently, hopefully this will improve after OB2 but the AR is well armed

1 Like

EFFIN LOVE IT! Absolutely obscene machine.

Good times. Now back to 1.30. Got work to do :slight_smile:

haven’t upgraded to the new firmware yet but having read few posts and listened to some examples i was thinking: has anyone tried yet to sample the DVCO sound and then load/layer it on the other tracks? (yes?) of course this won’t be like effectively have extra DVCOs but it could somehow overcome the limit of just four(two) going up to…well, eight? this won’t give full control over the sound itself, but still… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

i guess the MkII is stretched to its limits because of the sampling-part. the MkI however does not use the sampling so there should be more room for improvements (wired thinking?)

anyway… I’m still wondering if there will be some serious future-updates for the A4 but this belongs not here

1 Like