DT screen adhesive keeps coming loose in corners (not screen protector)

I recently got a new DT and I noticed the bottom right corner of the screen keeps getting loose and sticking up. When I press it down slightly the adhesive keeps it down for a short while, but eventually always sticks up again. I’m talking about the actual screen and not the screen protector for the record. I actually returned another DT that had the exact same issue but it seems the same for all recent units.

Anyone else noticed this on their newer units? I don’t find this acceptable on devices with this price tag to be honest. Did Elektron recently switch to some new adhesive for their screens or something?

1 Like

It looks scuffed up like something hit it… I would return it.

It’s just the screen protector that looks like that. It’s a new unit.

The “scuff” is just the screen protector, I think this person is only speaking about the adhesive lift.

Is there any curvature in the faceplate? First off you’re correct, no the adhesive should not lift. I’ve replaced 1, well technically 2 of these, they’re on there very firmly. But just as a third party viewing this for the first time it looks like the faceplate and the bezel are not flush to each other.

If there is a combination of a bent or dented faceplate and weak adhesive, I don’t know, maybe I could see this happening but I would guess it would have to be really bent, like I said the adhesive is pretty strong. If some dust or dirt got into the corner (magically) when the corner previously lifted, it could prevent it from sticking properly the next time you had pushed it down. Not saying you did this, just that if that happened even before you received the unit (magically).

If it’s brand new and you’re bothered by it, I would exchange it, that’s what a warranty on parts and service is for. If you want to try something yourself, I can give you advice but you’d need to be comfortable removing the face panel, unscrewing the top board, using a hairdryer to carefully make the adhesive sticky again, and then hold the thing down while the adhesive sets again - it should only take a few seconds to a minute to be fully cold and set once again.

That would be at your own risk so you decide, but like I said, I’ve replaced a couple of these and I have a pretty good idea of what to expect.

Also, just another FYI if you don’t want to exchange the whole unit because the DT works fine, but it sounds like you’re ok with unscrewing the top and then putting it back together, when my digitone screws and face panel developed some rust, the face panel and screws were replaced under warranty and I just had them send me the parts so I could install it. They said it wouldn’t change my remaining warranty, but if this is a new like 2 week old device, I wouldn’t doubt you’d want to replace the whole thing on principle.

Mine was like that when I first got it - I just kept pressing it down firmly and it eventually stuck. Maybe put something moderately heavy on it overnight if that doesn’t work

The unit itself is fine. It’s just the adhesive on the screen on these newer DT’s that seems the problem. Like I said, this is the second new unit in a row that has the exact same issue. If I understand correctly, there is no adhesive tape on the bottom right corner of the replacement screens right?

It’s not tape per say, it’s like a transparent adhesive film. I didn’t notice that the bottom right corner was missing adhesive but I also was not looking for that. I took a bunch of pictures one time while I was replacing one, let me see if I can find them and I might be able to confirm the presence of adhesive, hold on.

The digitakt in question is not new, but it’s from I think 2021, there is adhesive all the way around the bezel including the bottom right corner. I’m looking at the old protective bezel right now to confirm, you can see in this picture that I just took. It’s not fresh adhesive because this is an old bezel, but you can follow the adhesive outline around the edge.

I’ve never replaced the bezel on my older digitakt so I can’t say if it was different in 2018, but I’ve had the face off it a bunch of times and it never seemed like the bezel changed between 2018-2021. I can’t say about 2023 though, anything is possible.

Fair enough. Thanks for confirming!

yup.