DT bug reports - OS 1.01

I will be honest, the only bug I have encountered personally is the finicky encoders, which been promised fixed very soon, so I can’t complain. Luckily I had no cosmetic or functional issues with stuck buttons or anything - just the usual pesky hair or spec of something under the screen cover - which seems to happen to ALL my Elektron units. So far, I am quite satisfied.

Bugs *shrug, it’s a new product. They worked their asses off to release it, and it’s not perfect yet. I’m not concerned in the least.

Also: The Elektron staff deserve to be on vacation. This thing is already my favorite sound sculpting machine of all time. I look forward to their updates and improvements.

5 Likes

I think there are two main thoughts here;

• New products have bugs, deal with it.
  • New products shouldn’t have this many bugs.

Both cases can be argued pretty well. What bothers me most is the bad beta testing and QC. Units where some buttons were swapped or where trigs don’t work should never leave the production line.

Personally I don’t mind some bugs, but a company should do all it can to prevent them. Some of the software bugs would’ve been found with proper testing. Same with hardware problems.

Don’t get me wrong I love Elektron stuff. I understand both sides of the argument. As always things are seldom black and white. Elektron is small company with all the pro’s and cons that come with it.

Elektron has a name for high quality products, so I hope they will do what they can to get the max out of the DT whilst keeping it stable and reliable for studio and live use.

3 Likes

New products shouldn’t have this many bugs.

Well, what is the number of bugs that is acceptable? What proof does anyone have that they didn’t work as hard s they could to eliminate them prior too release?

How many units did Elektron ship? I agree that it is kind of unacceptable, but even with the bigest QC on earth, shit happens, and two units over a few thousands (I guess), is nothing.
With 2000 units shipped, that would represent 0.1%. And I guess the correct number is not 2000, has to be much more.

Misplaced/swapped and/or broken buttons are not bugs. They are individual unit manufacturing mistakes. Even the best QC in the world would miss these types of mistakes, so the “decent” comment is mythic.

Yes, of course there is no need to argue. But I can post reasonable questions in response to your non-argumentative summations.

Nah.

I took one to my house tonight and I have froze it four times. midi from the octatrack makes it do wild stuff then its “turn it off and on again.”

My Digitakt is hanging while ‘normalizing’ after saving a sample. I was wondering if I’m the only one.

1 Like

I add samples to my DT with the Elektron transfer software, and i can see the samples in the sample manager. but when i got to my “+drive” nothing ever shows up in there. Are the files I upload supposed to be listed in the +drive? it doesn’t show the files I uploaded or the files in RAM. whats it for?

Certainly have frozen here clocking on midi din cable not even touching the unit, just stopping and starting the DAW transport. That said, the midi clock crashes are far more frequent with USB midi.

I see it the agile projecting way…they wanted to ship the product as soon as possible to the cutomers. Parts like MIDI is still very buggy, parts like sampling already working good enough, the rest of the eninge like sequencing and synthesis engine. It´s usable right now, good enough for the studio, but nothing for the stage. 1.02 is already announced, so let´s be patient.

I made 2 sets of patterns, some patterns included trigs on the midi tracks, freezes happened all the time: especially when sampling (while the DT was playing), or when copying/pasting stuff between the audiotracks.
When working on those tracks, the DT got stuck very often. Which did not happen with the other patterns which had no trigs on the midi tracks.
So then I removed all the trigs from the midi tracks and the DT did not get stuck anymore.

Some bugs, issues I think have not been addressed here:

1. Copying a pattern to another pattern slot (while playing) but the tempo does not play in the tempo which was written in the original pattern, then press stop and press play and it is playing in the tempo of the copied pattern.

2. Trigless locks placed after a retriggered note/sample stop the sample from being retriggered. For example on step 1 there a sample being retriggered for let’s say 6 steps, a trigless lock on step 4 stops the sample from being retriggered. Seems that the trigless lock goes back to the original soundsettings of the track, but that’s something I will dive in deeper today.

3. LFO settings; When mode is set to TRIG and wave set to sine or for example triangle it still seems not to trigger the LFO at the moment the step is being triggered, to me it seems a mode issue.

I’m getting crashes. Similar to many described here, but not identical.

I sample. I adjust end time to trim sample. I execute and the Digitakt starts to trim.

Then, it gets stuck. An operation that usually takes a second or so, just keeps going. After a few minutes, I turn the DT off since I can’t get anywhere, no buttons work.

When I turn it on again, it doesn’t boot at all. I try to turn it off once per minute, and after three or four times, it boots again and works as usual.

At first, I thought it was a short circuit. The DT appeared completely dead. Then, it works.

Have you checked the midi-tracks? Have your tried clearing these? As there is this midi issue. Please check my last post. This worked out for me, at least for the meantime, cause I want to get back playing with the midi tracks.

yeah had this a few times. Scary!! :fearful:

2 Likes

seeing this too… it’s not only tempo, some parameters (FX…) seem to not react to pattern/kit changes sometimes… also happens when reloading or pasting a pattern…

The Digitakt thinks I still turn the D-Knob even though I stopped.

Yep. No luck. Had this been on my laptop, I’d say this is early signs of hard drive failure.

I’m only saying this to give as clear an idea of the symptom as possible, not that I think there’s something wrong with the write-enabled area of the internal storage media. I have no idea what’s going on.

But given that the power switch didn’t do anything, the machine was just dead, it felt like whatever was going on, it was deep.