DSI Pro 2

Agreed. I’d pay $1300… MAYBE $1500 tops. $1999 is too much. Also, don’t forget the MFB Dominion 1 as a contender for high-end monosynth!

Love all the knobs and the audio inputs + envelope follower and super waveforms but for 2000 dollars I’m going to say no. I had the chance to play a P12 at Guitar Center recently and while I was really impressed with the first sound that whoever came before me left up, I then proceeded to be a bit dissapointed. I tweaked it for awhile and then ran through many presets, adjusting various sound parameters as I went and just wasn’t impressed with the sound quality. The character section is interesting but the filters didn’t sound that interesting and I thought that the synth had a general grainy quality to the sound that I did not enjoy. I’d have to sit down with an init preset and go from there, because that first sound I heard was good but everything else left me thinking that it was way too much money for the sound quality.

It looks like they added some great features but it just seems overpriced, and I had to lol at the “most advanced sequencer ever put in a synth” line. Someones never played an Elektron…

Although the Pro2 can sequence (and I’m assuming send to DAW) external midi. Something that infuriatingly, the Analog 4 still can’t do.

they added the most powerful step sequencer ever used in a synth

seriously?

they do know that a lot of knowledgeable people will also be viewing that marketing video right? :slight_smile:

I am glad DSI finally is doing something different regarding their use of filters. However, everything the Pro 2 has is what I thought the P12 should have had for the $2999. price tag. I love all the features of Pro 2 and the ability to sequence external gear through MIDI and CV, even simultaneously, does make me tempted.
Elektron’s infuriating omission of MIDI sequencing with both A4/AK and their forced way of working and tiny menu-diving does not attract me to the AK one bit. It’s simply not the flowing work-flow to a person whom has an all hardware keyboard synth set-up, and rather closed system other than CV.
The actual “MAP” (street price) may indeed be a few hundred less and still a bit expensive in my mind.
However, the little bit shown, it DOES sound good and not as sharp and digital as both the P12 and the A4 does to my taste at least.

Lastly, there’s something very appealing though about a knob-per-function like what’s on the Pro 2. I already own 2 DSI Mono Evolver Keyboards, a Mopho Keys and Tetra poly chained, and a Waldorf Pulse 2…seems the market has become a bit oversaturated with analog mono synths…my…the first world problems we must deal with! :wink:

Just because my brain is not working at the moment and I can’t seem to come up with the answer, can you tell me what other synth has a 32 Step sequencer per track with 16 Tracks? That does sound pretty amazing to me, at least in terms of the current crop of synths go; I’m sure there was something in the past that was comparable, but I’m drawing a blank.

I’m liking this synth, though still waiting for my pre-ordered Moog Sub 37 to be released, but I’m more curious about the forthcoming Dave Smith Eurorack Modulars! You did all notice that in the video right?

I still love my Prophet '08, and I’m thrilled about the upcoming Korg take on the ARP oddysey and Moog’s Sub 37, but man am I really excited to test drive a Pro Two!

Pro Two + Prophet '08 == best of both worlds, right? :imp:

hype as fuckkkk if that sub 37 don’t work out i’m gonna cop one of these for sure

Man! Looks super nice, but da prices on all of the P12 line have been pretty dare I say… outrageous? They are like modern Evolvers which I love, but priced so much higher. is this because of the Analog filters? I guess the Woldorf Q with Analog filters way really up there too!

AK has ruined me for other mono synths. 8 oscillators and 4 subs of analog unison fury!

1 Like

looks amazing, pity it still has that nasty ugly Dave Smith sound as the basic… :frowning:
(sounds like a Mopho on steroids to me)

I’ll be interested if they make a desktop version. I’ll pay 1200 for that.

It LIVES!!! :slight_smile:

lol midi out. :wink:

but tbh, if anything i hope it gets elektron to add envelope followers to the a4 and ot.

“most powerful” is obvs marketing speak, but it does look like if you add it all up the sequencer does a lot and in a combination/implementation that isn’t on many other synths if you consider the cv+midi ins and outs. if it’s like the evolver you’ll be able to use audio to step the sequencer too. (and probably trigger with gates)

it looks like it’ll be fun stuff. analog4 got me to sell my polyevolver and the pro2 isn’t going to get me to sell my analog4, but i probably will save to get one. it fixes everything i didn’t like about the evolver (imo stupid os stuff) and adds the external ins that i was missing from the p12, which i like from a pure synth standpoint more than the evolver.

still. i’ll be waiting to see about the OS when it’s released and make sure it works in a way i like. and hoping for a desktop version with patch points made more accessible tbh. :dizzy_face:

but anyway, yeah, tuned feedback delays run back in for more feedback and processing through filters, wicked. filters and feedback, that’s all the analog i need. :joy: actually with the CV outs and ins you could do feedback modulation too, nice!

I guess I’m just partial to elektron’s sequencer…even liking it as much as I do, I wouldn’t say it is the best sequencer ever either.

That being said, I’m not a fan of menu diving, I like to get as close to “knob per function” as possible. My moog does it nicely and I’m saving for a sub37 as well.

I won’t be selling my a4 though, it’s a great synth IMO.

This is out of my style I don’t play with keys, and maybe I am more into Elektron stuff. But I am not sure what this brings to the table that Elektron did not already show up with? and for $1999, IMHO they are playing catch-up.

Finally a real step forward from the Evolver series!

What really stands out on this is the sequencer. 16 tracks freely assignable with individual track lengths!

Imagine all the polyrhythmic glory you can do with that piece.

That’s what I miss on the A4, AK, polyrhythmic P-Locks!

1 Like

I am liking Pro2 better than Analog Keys :joy: comparable but Pro2 seemed more appealing.

I’ve never been a fan of the DSI sound, but with these features I better have another listen.

It’s 32x8, isn’t it? Or 16x16, basically a total of 256. I could be wrong, that might be based on ‘breaking news’ reports… Still very impressive and, really, the thing that interests me the most about it. I’d love to see that in a standalone module with CV and MIDI out - I’m assuming based on the Mopho sequencer that each track will have an independent reset option, and it’d be great if they could run at independent tempo divisions. And if sequencer control is in the mod matrix, DING DONG. I could play with that for days at a time.

My problem with DSI stuff is the sound. It’s just not my bag. Perhaps with more effort I could have shaped things better but with only the Mopho and Tetra to go on, sound design was never easy.

This is out of my price range by a long way - especially when you consider the mark up those of us in the UK and the rest of Europe will be stuck with - but the lay out does look splendid and even a novice like me can appreciate the various features (modulation, sequencer, etc, etc ).

Loads of gear I’d rather go for to be honest but this looks like a killer mono.