DSI Pro 2

I’m thinking of thinning my Euro rig and Monomachine in favor of a DSI Pro 2. I love using the MNM but in the end, don’t use it in my music.

I’m mostly thinking about sound design so the diversity of oscillators and effects seems useful. The built in sequencer looks like it can wreak havoc as a modulator - at least that’s what I hope. Not convinced as to how versatile it is yet. The Evolver is very cool like this but you can get a little lost programming the sequencer after a while.

So… satisfied customers? Anyone else make the switch from Euro to Pro2 or elsewhere?

I was going to get one but I realized my prophet 6 was collecting dust so I’ll play with that first.

I’ve only spent 30 minutes on the pro 2 and you can get some really good sounds out of it. What are you slimming down in your euro case?

How is midi sync now?
I bought a pro 2 when it was first released years ago, but sold it shortly after as the midi sync was unusable when driven from my daw.
Internal sequencer couldn’t be clocked in time with my daw, which I thought was bizarre seeing as though it was made by the guy that invented midi.
I am sure it has been rectified with OS updates though?
I had bought as my main cv and keyboard controller for my euro at the time, but it never happened due to the midi timing. Ended up selling it and buying more euro.

I’ve heard it was better after the past few updates. I may bite on black friday this year. who knows. But I’m holding out for komplete 12 ultimate to get reaktor 6 and a load of other samples. I thnk reaktor 6 can do what pro 2 can but your staring at a screen but also the trade off is not using a rack space on the keyboard rack.

Not buying this keyboard is more of a keyboard rack space issue rather than money. I have a three tier where bottom is always the EPS keyboard and top is analog keys. Middle is prophet 6 or voyager. 1st world problems mate.

Yeah I have Komplete Ultimate and it is massive, but yeah it’s plugins, so totally different way of working of course.
And yeah Reaktor 6 is a beast, sounds amazing

1 Like

I reckon if they added linear FM on P2 like they did to the P12 I may look at buying it again. Been waiting since it was added as update to P12, but it doesn’t seem like it will happen unfortunately.
Cmon Dave you can do it :totes:

1 Like

Sequencer sync is ok but it still feels kind of wobbly and unprecise compared to the Elektons. You can use 16 sequencer tracks. The first one sets the notes and the other 15 can change parameters. The organisation is rather complicated if you are used to parameter locking. Some parameters like Env decay are inverted - a negative value on the sequencer has a positive effect on the envelope and vice versa. I´d say it´s a bug but in the DSI forum they called it a feature. I also don´t understand why the sequencer stops sending notes if you press a step-button to change the value of the step. You must wait another bar until the note you just changed is triggered again. I don´t know if you understand what I try to explain - bottom line is that the sequencer works and syncs fine but the design leaves much to be desired.

1 Like

Thanks for the input all. I forgot about no FM, that’s just weird considering it’s digital and all. And yeah, I thought there were some things about the sequencer that felt like they could have gone one step further.

As for my euro case, I’m still trying to find my way with it. I’ve kept it to 6U plus some modules that get rotated in and out and try to focus on weird voices and modulation since I don’t need another traditional voice. As it stands, I’d say I’m happiest with the percussions coming out of the Folktek Matter it and will also never sell my Loquelic. I’m selling the Grendel, Braids, Banjolin, Dixie2.

2 Likes

No it does have exponential FM, but not linear FM

1 Like

OK, fine - I put in a bid to trade the MNM for the Pro 2. Will report back with my findings.

1 Like

Presume not a straight swap?

Hello. No. Not a straight swap. I put some cash in.

Here’s my review - It really is a joy to use the sequencer. The wave tables are versatile. The effects are solid. I like the analog sounds and the filter routing is versatile and cool. I used to play keys in a prog band and if I was doing that now I would use this instrument. I’m not in love with the overall sound for techno - it lacks the evilness I’m looking for and never really bites on sequenced lines to my ear. That said, I’m going to hold onto it until I have a reason to sell it.

1 Like

MIDI timing is fine. Sounds like a DAW setup issue to me.

No it was a known issue when it was first released.
It has since been fixed

1 Like

New beta OS adding linear FM. Great news.

https://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,1223.0.html

1 Like

Has anyone seen any examples of the Pro 2 linear FM on Youtube yet?

Presumably it’s the same as the P12, although there aren’t many linear FM demos for that either unfortunately

1 Like

I haven’t had a chance to load the beta yet but I had a P12 and the Linear FM stuff always sounded very good. However, the Pro 2 filters (reason I moved the P12 in favor of the Pro2) and sequencer will give some fun variance to the sound sculpting capabilities with this update.

2 Likes

Where can I actually download the beta? There’s no download on that thread.

You’ve got to login to the forum to download.