DSI evolver still worth in 2020?

Tempest is a bit closer to Tetra… kind of.

Right, and can add ur own.

I’m really surprised at that, thought MEKs would always get snapped up!

2 Likes

Not around here :blush:

1 Like

When I had it on sale, I let it go for around 800Euro. That was last summer. Now, I wouldn’t know. I’m not doing any trading right now.

1 Like

There’s no legato mode on the Tempest. That’s not trivial. And the voice stealing is a bit flaky on the Tempest too. Not ideal for poly melodic playing. Otherwise, they are essentially the same synth engine.

I’d be using the Tempest as my main poly, if DSI would just fix the above two issues. But that’s never going to happen, so it sits unused most days, sadly.

Cheers!

1 Like

Wow, this is incredible. Blown away! Better than most groovebox jams I’ve heard!

2 Likes

You had a desktop evolver at one point right? I really respect your thoughts and opinions about sound and gear. You paired it with the black box for a bit right? I remember you saying it had so much character! Was that the honeymoon phase talking?

1 Like

I did have one, but that was in the beginning of my gear spree, somewhere in 2014 or something. As with the MEK, which I did pair with the Blackbox, it has a unique character, one that you can’t find elsewhere, even in modern Sequentials.

But I don’t know. I’m just not a mono synth kind of fellow :blush:

1 Like

TL;DR
in 2021, Evolver is worth more than it was in 2020, and yet more than in was in 2019.
just look at Reverb, eBay, etc.

3 Likes

Who knows at all whats gonna happen now they are owned by Focusrite.

I love mine!

Are u a poly synth kind of guy? I ask because if u r, u may give me a hand with something…

1 Like

My desktop Evolver suddenly stopped working the other day. I’m hoping it’s just needing a new power supply but I’ve not yet reached out to Sequential. I’d just got the newer chip and knobs about 6 months ago and was really enjoying having it in my repertoire.

I am. I’m firmly in Prophet 12 camp right now.

1 Like

Ok… for looong time I am looking for a poly, that can do just that poly… chords and pads.

I did try most there is around, but couldn’t find some meaty no dissonance poly.
I don t care of mono duties, just poly.

I just don t want when playing chords to have those noise like artefacts and I also what unison poly, not when I switch unison on to get automatically to mono…

1 Like

Well, I’m not sure I’m the right person to supply you with advice on this. I got a very specific idea on what I think I poly should be and why, and I think most of those out there, just aren’t very good :slight_smile:

I mean, if you did try most of what’s around, as you say, which one came closest to what you want? And why? It took me a good time before I found the Prophet 12 but now I don’t think anything else comes close, but I did go through lots of synths before I came to that conclusion. So knowing what you want shouldn’t be confused with going on a gear spree. It’s part of the journey to find out.

The closest, kind of, was the Nord Lead 2… but aliasing is present there too…
Just need some no artifacts, meaty chords.

1 Like

Wouldn’t go for the Prophet 12, then. Mighty as it is, there’s some DCO stuff going on there as well as the somewhat harsh character of the Curtis filter.

Again, there’s people on this forum far more proficient in the polysynth area than I am. With that said, if I’d go for something that’s smooth, doesn’t generate lots of odd stuff you don’t want, messes around with frequencies and whatnot, I’d gun for a Prophet 5. I’d even pick it over the Prophet 6.

It is a simple and straight, no nonsense poly synth that just sounds out of this world, when it comes to intimacy and warmth. No goddam onboard fx, no wavetables and DCO stuff going on, no “If you route this into that and then connect that to this and then oscillate those into that” - it’s just sit down and play.

Personally, the modulation and movement of the Prophet 12 as well as its unique character is why it remains my favourite. But if I ever got tired of that, and just wanted something poly for the sake of playing, for being a keyboard player or think like one even if I couldn’t play a single note, I’d look no further than the Prophet 5 (or 10).

2 Likes

Got it in the mail yesterday. This thing is insane. I can see why prices have gone up! Gonna explore it more today.

6 Likes