DSI evolver still worth in 2020?

I don’t have an Evolver, but if you can learn the Elektron method, you can learn another :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, it is true. However, in the end, is the same discussion as I have seen before with the evolver: for some, it would be the last piece of gear to sell, for others, it didn’t work. This is why I mentioned what kind of gear I have; otherwise, I don’t like to do that. To your question: I invested lots of time learning octatrack first, then AK, and then Rytm. The hardest was the first, because it is a matter of understanding its logic/shortcuts. It wasn’t a learning curve related to a simple interface (which seems to be the case in evolver, despite that simple interface can manage lots of parameters). In the case of elektron it was more related to learning shortcuts, at least in my case. The screen (not present in the evolver) is a huge help of course, and compared to evolver everything is thought (or seems to be, given I haven’t used evolver) to simplify things more. Other than that, I would say the JX8P without PG 800 (which I don’t have, though I do have the iPad app for this), would be similar in terms of editing through a more cryptic interface, but I still think it does not compare, as the jx8p’s structure is much simpler than evolver, with no sequencer, etc. And even though that, still has a more generous screen. Besides all this, I bought all that stuff when I had no babies, like it is my case today. I still enjoy tripping with synths and I do that every time I can, but I definitely could not learn today elektron’s structure, given I don’t have the free time I had 7 or 5 years ago. This is why I keep insisting. I still want to trip and discover AK’s possibilities in terms of sounds. In fact, it always rewards my time. But if evolver takes the same effort I put all those years with elektron, I would be out. Unless it is really really worth. I hope I could clarify more now. Thank you!

Yea, I don’t think the Evolver desktop is for you, then.

You’ll be better off with a knob-per-function interface.
Matrix and menu based interfaces are all about developing muscle memory and the only way to do that is invest the time.
They’re never as fun from the get-go as they are months later, where as a knob-per-function synth are instantly rewarding.

If you really want the Evolver sound but with the immediacy, spend more for a MEK.

3 Likes

I second Adams comments. The MEK is more immediate than the desktop but even then there is an element of menu diving for some stuff. Plus you get a super Fatar keybed and the facility to use it to play other synths over midi. Look at it this way… if you don’t gel the used prices of the MEK and PEK are strong so you should get your money back.

I’m embarrassed to say how much I paid for a desktop one today on reverb. It was the only one I could find anywhere, and it had custom knobs and overlay on it. I love the adrenalinn, and I like how unique the desktop evolver is and sounds.

I definitely over paid, but I’m really excited. I love machines with character, and I’m over a lot of other beloved synths right now. Anyone still rocking/loving theirs lately?

4 Likes

Sadly no! One of the pieces of kit that I miss sometimes. It did help fund a kit that I’m pretty in love with though.

Still the beefiest basslines I’ve ever heard though.

I use the Rythm Dual VCO and MFB Nanozwerg for basslines now. Simple is better for me.

1 Like

Price was kinda excessive, but if the used market keeps going it is, you’ll make your money back on it.

Fuuuuuunn box btw. Congrats

Enjoy it! It’s hard to believe, but mine has been rocking for nearly 18 years. It was the synth that pulled me back into music.

Sometime around ‘01-02 I let go of all my gear and swore I’d never make another track.

Unfortunately, I forgot to cancel my subscription to Tape Op, so I kept seeing this ad in the back pages for the Evolver. Next thing I know, I have an MPC 1000, DSI Evolver and I discovered ELEKTRON!

Been downhill ever since.

3 Likes

Worth it a hundred times over. Nothing else I have sounds quite like that!
Black overlay from Styleflip for extra darkness :skull_and_crossbones:

9 Likes

Loving these responses! Thanks, I’m really excited to get it. I wonder why they’re so hard to come by now…

2 Likes

Oh yes! I got the keyboard version last autumn and love it very much. That stereo-sound-patch-in-a-mono-synth is genius, and it always give me something unexpected when I start using the sequencer. I think it is the most fun synth I’ve got. Sound great too - so much presence!

2 Likes

I think for a lot of folk these are a keeper synth. There was a time when they were fairly common on the second hand market and from memory DSI made the Desktop for a fair bit longer than the PEK or MEK. Deffo longer than the PER…they are a rare beast.

I think the poly chaining element has something to do with it too. I bet a fair few folks who’ve got one have also got more than one!

I miss mine but it too was sold to fund other gear.
Maybe now Dave Smith Instruments is owned by Focusrite we’ll see an Evolver mk2 in the future? Would be cool.

It’s an odd one because many of the elements of the Evolver live on in their other products. One the analogue side the CEM 3396 (I forget what the updated part number is that DSI/Sequential use but its a 3396) is the basis of the P’08 and Rev2 (and shortly after the Desktop came the Mopho and Tetra) and the digital side is/was in the P12/Pro 2 in some form. It’s almost as if the ‘greatest hits’ synth was the Evolver range.

I’m sure I read in an article many moons ago that said that after the success of the Evolver line they realised they could sell other instruments and so used elements of the Evolver as the basis of their next line of instruments. It’s just marketing I suppose, not going to knock them for that.

Will we see another Evolver? I doubt it if it affects the sales of their other synths… Elektron are masters of not giving you everything in one instrument so you ‘have’ to own several of their boxes and I don’t see DSI’s strategy as very different. Not a criticism, just an observation.

BTW dealt with DSI a few times over the years and I can’t speak highly enough of their after sales service. Carson was always prompt with email responses etc.

What about the Tempest sound engine, as a synth, not just as a drum synth? How does it compare to the Evolver?

1 Like

I think this is an ageless synth!
Where else do u find its features and sound?

So…: 4 oscillators, 2 analog, 2 with wavetables.
Multiple modulations, stareo output, input, delay, sequencer, crazy distortion…
I will stop now :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t recall wavetables. Only digital waves, no?

1 Like

I often say I don’t need Evolver since I’ve got Tempest and it’s “half-true”, but each time I see Evolver in person I start to think I want one.

On paper they look close - 4OSCs ( T has 2 true analog oscs and 2 digital oscs are more drum samples but still some synth waves are in there, Evolver’s dco’s sounds a bit less “analog”, Digital osc’s provide nice wavetables, FM and Ring Mod).

Both have good modulation options with mod matrix tons of ENV / LFOs and other mod sources, Evolver has 2x more lfos…

Low pass filter is quite close if not the same. Both have H.pass. Tempest lacks Delays, which I think was really bad decision, it could really bring lots of benefits to it.

Both have nice sequencers, T. has more steps - 128 vs 16, and more seq “lines” for modulation, but Evolver’s sequencer is different and maybe better for “melodic things”, more playable.

In general they sounds a bit different - Evolver more like a wicked digital synth on steroids with nice modulations. Tempest (as a synth ) more like an analog “modular” or “not too bad”, “strange” poly synth.

Tempest has 6 voices / Evolver only one voice.

Evolver also can do nice drum sounds, take a look:

4 Likes

Still got my MEK. Never use it. Tried to sell it three times. No one’s biting, despite price being fair. And it’s recently restored by Sequential too, so it’s in pristine condition.

But Sweden is with gear as it is with everything else - if it’s not right in the middle of mainstream, no one cares.

How much?

1 Like