DSI evolver still worth in 2020?

Who knows at all whats gonna happen now they are owned by Focusrite.

I love mine!

Are u a poly synth kind of guy? I ask because if u r, u may give me a hand with something…

1 Like

My desktop Evolver suddenly stopped working the other day. I’m hoping it’s just needing a new power supply but I’ve not yet reached out to Sequential. I’d just got the newer chip and knobs about 6 months ago and was really enjoying having it in my repertoire.

I am. I’m firmly in Prophet 12 camp right now.

1 Like

Ok… for looong time I am looking for a poly, that can do just that poly… chords and pads.

I did try most there is around, but couldn’t find some meaty no dissonance poly.
I don t care of mono duties, just poly.

I just don t want when playing chords to have those noise like artefacts and I also what unison poly, not when I switch unison on to get automatically to mono…

1 Like

Well, I’m not sure I’m the right person to supply you with advice on this. I got a very specific idea on what I think I poly should be and why, and I think most of those out there, just aren’t very good :slight_smile:

I mean, if you did try most of what’s around, as you say, which one came closest to what you want? And why? It took me a good time before I found the Prophet 12 but now I don’t think anything else comes close, but I did go through lots of synths before I came to that conclusion. So knowing what you want shouldn’t be confused with going on a gear spree. It’s part of the journey to find out.

The closest, kind of, was the Nord Lead 2… but aliasing is present there too…
Just need some no artifacts, meaty chords.

1 Like

Wouldn’t go for the Prophet 12, then. Mighty as it is, there’s some DCO stuff going on there as well as the somewhat harsh character of the Curtis filter.

Again, there’s people on this forum far more proficient in the polysynth area than I am. With that said, if I’d go for something that’s smooth, doesn’t generate lots of odd stuff you don’t want, messes around with frequencies and whatnot, I’d gun for a Prophet 5. I’d even pick it over the Prophet 6.

It is a simple and straight, no nonsense poly synth that just sounds out of this world, when it comes to intimacy and warmth. No goddam onboard fx, no wavetables and DCO stuff going on, no “If you route this into that and then connect that to this and then oscillate those into that” - it’s just sit down and play.

Personally, the modulation and movement of the Prophet 12 as well as its unique character is why it remains my favourite. But if I ever got tired of that, and just wanted something poly for the sake of playing, for being a keyboard player or think like one even if I couldn’t play a single note, I’d look no further than the Prophet 5 (or 10).

2 Likes

Got it in the mail yesterday. This thing is insane. I can see why prices have gone up! Gonna explore it more today.

6 Likes

I believe it’s unique. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Congratulations! You’re now the proud owner of what is, in my opinion, one of the best synths of the 21st century so far. Once you’re used to the grid/ matrix layout and gain staging the oscillators it can be as simple or as deep as you want it to be. Big classic unison bass patch? No problem. Want aftertouch to modulate the bpm of a sequenced karplus delay line? Well, okay, it’ll do that too.
I borrowed one from a friend for years before finally buying my own about six years ago. I still discover new things it can do all the time. Honeymoon period long gone and it still feels like cyber-witchcraft! I consider most gear as at least potentially temporary in my life but there’s no way I’ll ever get rid of the evolver. If I saw a killer deal on another one I’d buy it all day long. If I was in Europe I’d be selling something else and giving @circuitghost a call about that mek. Same synth, better interface.

8 Likes

In case anyone is interested and hasn’t seen this (and since I can’t stop gushing about this synth) here’s Jexus’ demo. There aren’t many demos that really show off what this thing can do but naturally he does a bang up job.

4 Likes

All this love makes me wonder if I shouldn’t just pull myself together and use this thing for a few days. I’m in creative hibernation anyway so there’s room for something new now.

6 Likes

Do it. It covers so many bases.

2 Likes

I really appreciate this kind of hype and appreciation for gear. It’s infectious! Thank you!

1 Like

If you wanted to buy all the equivalent modules in eurorack for what this synth can do then you would be parting with several grand- and you still wouldn’t be able to do everything. Despite being drawn into the eurorack world I still think this synth has just about the most varied and modular sound pallet you can buy, its a bargain I would say.

3 Likes

IMO they just don’t make synths like these anymore Bunker.

3 Likes

I wish there were a really solid tutorial on YouTube. This thing is so deep and complex! I’m slowly piecing it together with the official and unofficial manual, and a couple of vids. This makes me want to try the keyboard version!

This thing is unreal. I can’t believe this came out so long ago, it does so much.

2 Likes

If I had more desk space I’d have already done this!

Was responsible for me buying a Virus Ti:

1 Like