Drumlogue vs Deconstruct MINIMAL — or other alternatives

Hello

I’m looking for an all-in-one drum machine for live techno to complement my modular system (DFAM, Braids, Eowave Titan, BF-22, fx… modulation sequencing…

My priorities:

  • Powerful, deep and physical kicks
  • Warm, punchy sound — not cold, thin or overly digital because the rack sounds huge
  • Good built-in FX, especially delay / ping-pong
  • Fast per-part FX sends and hands-on controls
  • Quick and practical for live performance

I previously had an Elektron Model:Cycles and really disliked its sound: cold/metallic hi-hats and weak kicks, at least to my ears.

I also had a Jomox MBase 09 MK2, which was by far the best kick I’ve ever had, so I don’t want to sacrifice too much kick quality.

I used to have most of my percussion in Eurorack, but now I want to move the drums outside the modular and have a fast, complete solution With a nice price sound and functions.

I’m considering the Sonicware Deconstruct MINIMAL because of its workflow and per-track FX sends, but I’m worried it may sound too thin or digital, i have stereo Drive/ saturation on the modular to use With the deconstruct or the drumlogue, and an old mackie onyx 1220 which i like a lot, clean and Powerful sound, i could make some eq If i need more lows…also i could use 2 Kick sounds in one With the deconstruct and maybe It sounds nice…

How does the Deconstruct actually sound in a real techno mix compared with the Drumlogue? And are there any other machines around this price that I should consider?

I also could use the deconstruct, and add a dedicated Powerful analog Kick module on the rack, but i prefer all in one drum machine as i said.

The prices of both are very good used on UE 250/300€ and they have fx, lot of sounds, hands on playing…also they have synth engines, the ácid bass on the deconstruct sounds very nice also has sub…seems fun!

Thanks a lot to all!

I don’t have either of those, but I have TR-8s and I think it’s ticking all your boxes.

2 Likes

I would have to vote for Sonicware. All of the Sonicware boxes I’ve played with sound phenomenal and don’t suffer from the tinny effect that a lot of digital gear does, and I say this having 6 dedicated drum machines from either elektron or erica synths in my studio right now.

2 Likes

Thanks, yeah It was my other choice, but used IS more than 450€…

6s….

1 Like

Thanks you, Interesting, so the sounds of it doesnt sound thin or empty? It could pair nice with a modular setup?
Mix two different kicks With 2 tracks in one IS a must on the deconstruct or With one the Kick IS nice? punchy With body and presence? Thanks a lot!
Could you expand your opinion a little on the deconstruct? The sounds, individual fx, the bass synth…ill apreciate It
Seems that processing It With analog sources would be nice( stereo analog dj filter for breaks, stereo analog Drive/saturation or analog compresor…)

I agree with the TR-6s because it gives you not only the trigger in but also a bunch of CV outs. And I prefer the 606 sound over the 808 anyway.

At least the Drumlogue has seperate outputs, which allow external treatment for different sounds.

Look at the deconstruct, it’s unique 1/8 stereo jack audio out doesn’t inspire much confidence and barely makes sense in a modular setup…

2 Likes

Im more into 909 sounds, It has them?
The FX send per track IS fast?
And It has only 6 sounds…
Maybe IS nice with a dedicated Kick module on the rack…how It sounds?
Also i could get another analog Drums like addac 106 t and i have tiptop clap 909 that IS analog and i like It, also i could get grids for fast sequencing, but i prefer all in one…It has only 6 tracks…

you could get a used Analog 4 mk1 - it can act a nice drum machine, lots of effects and tons of live performance options - the kicks can be dialled in to sound however you want using resonant filters and analogue sounds - it worked as a drum machine for me for years until I upgraded to Perkons

2 Likes

Its very nice but only has 4 tracks…

I observed the prices in Germany for a long time and 450 or less is very doable if you’re a little patient. I assume it’s the same or better for other European countries.

Which one?

I wouldn’t say the Drumlogue is that. Highly subjective of course.

Understand; I like the Drumlogue. It just doesn’t seem like this sonically gigantic or powerful thing. The analog voices don’t shout, “I’m big and punchy and warm!”

I haven’t used it through a PA though.

1 Like

How about TR-8? Unless you need sample playback of course.

1 Like

Techno and drum machine was mentioned.

Nothing on the market fits better than a syntakt.

I’ve said it before on other threads, if you’d of had a syntakt in the 90’s you’d be a techno legend today.

I’ve got a drumlogue and it’s a total piece of $hite when put next to a Syntakt.

and as for that minimal, give it a year and nobody will remember it.

1 Like

4 Likes

I don’t have one in front of me now, but it’s my next purchase. What little time I have spent messing around, I felt very similar (sonically, not necessarily workflow wise) to the first time I first touched an elektron box. Very easy to create sounds that have harmonic heft without being a wall of noise. I find the drumlogue to be a little thin/bland sounding tbh, but that’s just my subjective opinion. What’s not subjective is the much larger track count and sampler capabilities of the deconstruct.

I have the sonicware deconstruct minimal and it sounds fantastic and super easy to use. For other stuff, I like using my Jomox Alphabase MK2, Hexdrums, Perkons or Rytm. Perkons and Hexdrums does hard techno best and Jomox/Rytm handle most styles well like house and techno. Perkons is great because it has individual sends for delay effects and the compressor is decent. Jomox has my favorite kick drum.

1 Like

he wants the hexdrums or jomox alphabase those slam harder than anything else

2 Likes