Drumbrute Impact + Analog Four weak sound

Hey guys, so I have an Analog Four MK1 for a while now. I play it along with Moog Minitaur and Volca keys, without any problems.
This week I got a Drumbrute Impact that is my first contact with a drum machine ever, especially an analog one. I connected the midi out from DB to midi in of A4 for sync, and audio out of DB to audio IN on AF. The other audio in is taken by Minitaur. I open the chanel vol to max on fx track( just like with minitaur), and started to play.

The problem is that the DB is suuuper low and weak sound, compared to A4 sample elements. I have to reduce the volume over 50% of the A4 track i’m playing to hear the DB, specially the kick. When I set the DB volume a little higher, the audio interface shows yellow frequency cutting.

So my question is: there is some problema with DB, like configuration ones, or thats how it is and I just don’t like it?My problems will be resolved if I get rid of DB and get an TR6s/8s for example?

I play most hip hop and boombap, and almost nothing techno, etc.

Thanks a lot in advance

No.
Most analogue drum machines sound a bit dry and naff, unless they have some processing. Digital drum machines can also be like this.

Sounds like you haven’t learned how to gain stage with it. I watched Blush responses video on the drumbrute impact and was impressed.

No not really. A lot of people think those machines sound lifeless… again, you have to work to make them sound good. Just like the drumbrute.

Example. This is my TR8S. Stock 707 kit. No processing. Then you’ll hear the same pattern after I tweaked the gain, fx on some sounds, compression etc. All done on the TR8S, no other gear used.

Drive and compression pretty much fixes everything to do with drums.

4 Likes

Or the A4 input is ‘weak’, at least on the Rytm the inputs are basically useless. It’s differnet to the Digi Boxes (Digitakt, Digitone, Syntakt).

If that’s the case, then unfortunately, you need something else to mix the signals together. Either an Audio Interface with multiple Inputs or a Mixer.

1 Like

Not really as far as I know. I run my 0-Coast into it (the line output, not the modular level one) without any issues.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the kick and precise answer. I’ll watch the Blush review and will try to put some gain on it!!!

I think thats not the case, since i also play the minitaur on A4 without any gain issues.

I would advise you to first listen to just the outputs of the drum machine without anything else connected. Does it sound fine? Then there is no issues there.
Once confirmed the drum machine is working ok, the rest of your problems needs to be solved with careful gain staging and taking care to make proper use of the available head room in your setup.

2 Likes

Its fine by itself. I just found the sound week compared to other full analog pieces, like the minitaur, and to sample based pieces, like the A4. But I’ll try to boost the gain through A4, and if it doen’t work, on ableton.