Drum synthesis on AR vs AF/AK

How would you guys rate the drum synthesis on the Rytm versus the A4.
I have a Rytm and getting a Digitakt.
I may consider selling the Rytm and buying an A4 for Digitakt sample food.

A4 was the better drum synth before the Rytm OS 1.30 update.
The machines added in 1.30, the metallics, BDs, SDs… they’re very powerful.

But Rytm LFOs don’t pitch track for FM work. And that’s the place where A4 shines now, chromatic linear FM drums.
Otherwise, Rytm is just as strong, and has more voices to work from + sample layer for added depth.

9 Likes

A4 has a higher filter knob resolution than rytm.
Rytm has a resolution of 127 levels, but A4 is a higher resolution.
When making a sound using self-oscillation of filter, you can adjust the sound more finely.

If you want to make sound from scratch, A4 produces a wider range of sound.

2 Likes

dunno,. I miss the A4 mostly for drum sounds tbh, it is capable, the envelopes are fast and snappy… but you gotta know & finetune pretty much all the parameters to get good percussion sounds.

On Rytm, it’s a lot easier to dial in convincing drums… like, if you approach both synths with the same amount of care, e.g. use filters deliberately, Rytm wins more than hands down, imho… well it better be! It’s a drum synth :slight_smile:
and that’s before you get to samples, distortion & compressor.

4 Likes

Do you have any tracks available somewhere? I’d love to hear your music. I’m a lousy fanboy having not heard it yet

1 Like

I’m a bit weird and use the AR for synth sounds and A4 for drums!

True, the AR only has one LFO and no key-tracking FM mode, but you can use velocity to alter the modulator in pleasingly unexpected ways.

Another tip: use the “fade” parameter for even more modulator-shaping!

4 Likes

I’m recording almost nothing… but planning to change… thanks man! :slight_smile:

1 Like