Drum progression

Can somone supply his input here - i try to get a constant musical intensity within the Analog Rythm, but i find, that while i use the same kit on for example 4 patterns, i still get a lot variation in energy, as i try to get interesting drum patterns going, they feel somewhat disconnected.

I.e. in melody, we do something so we build musical expectations. In Techno, we build a groove, and then add variations to it. Sometimes i scroll through tracks on soundcloud, and think oh minute 5 and it still sounds like at the beginning of the track, then i want to do too much varations on my own creations, and then i get this disconnected thing.

use retrigs and conditional trigs, sound locks too, keep the same basic patterns with just a little variation and add those accordingly. can help from getting too far away from your main idea but at the same time adding complexity and subtle changes the brain wants. also nudging trigs so they fall slightly out of time etc.

2 Likes

Not exactly sure what you’re asking here. =/

What do you mean by “disconnected”? Do you mean when switching from a less active pattern (say the intro) to one that’s more active not feeling as cohesive or?

Generally speaking, I think there’s a lot of interest to be milked from a single highly detailed (never neglect conditrigs — these among the biggest, if not the biggest, reasons to invest in Elektron.)/ well thought out pattern.

You can either use the mute page (both mutes or solos (retrig + track pad)), or even use scenes to mute/ alter elements (developing a track).

Then the performance macro (as well as aftertouch) modulations are more opportunities for milking interest.

Add in the accent and mute trig layers into the equation (that you can pattern push separately from the main sequence), and honestly — I rarely use more than 2 patterns per track/ box, and both are mostly for adjusting harmonic content.

1 Like