Drum n' Bass Battle is cancelled. Thank you to all that submitted. Will resume after midterms

Thank you all.

It was fun.

14 Likes

One thing to note…

i really was conflicted with submitting for a battle, but also remaining impartial… so a good compromise is that i will now make an intro to the battles!

I feel like it gives it a radio program type of vibe, and its fun to make this feel as professional as possible!

I feel like it sets the mood quite nicely!

7 Likes

Also, I think I got everything done right… if there is any mistakes, just message me and i will correct them as soon as possible.

2 Likes

OKAY! There was a definite mistake on my part… I misplaced a folder, and added a track last minute… My apologies!

And please take the new addition into consideration.

1 Like

Just had a couple of runs through and hats of to everyone it’s a great playlist, some real nices tunes in there, I’m always amazed at the breadth of styles and angles that you guys bring each battle… Kudos, don’t think I’ll be voting too quickly this time though, it’s a tough field…:+1:

1 Like

When should votes be in by?

1 Like

I think it’s “as soon as you can”

1 Like

Ok cool, ill get my headphones back on then

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s part of the reason for announcing the next battle before voting. That way no one is waiting on the vote to move onto the next one.

It frees everything up.

Plus, since all the attention is on the deadline, it’s good to announce so everyone can get an idea of when the next one is.

Plus I wanted as much time as possible for people to chill.

I trying to hit that sweet spot of routine without crowding peoples time.

I’ll give a running mention of who is left to vote as they come in.

Some fantastic tracks in this as always!

Thought I’d get in early with some votes.

For some reason I seemed to be more into the tracks as the end of the playlist

#1 - 15 Like the deep vocals and the almost giggling synth, really nice work, has a very spooky vibe, nice clean production and solid bass.
#2 - 16 I like the airy ambient samples combined with the claustrophobic bass, some nice arpeggios a really good build and progression on the track
#3 - 13 Like the intro arpeggio, some nice breaks, nice building and percussion

HMs to 8, 9, 10 and 12 great work guys, you were on my shortlist.

4 Likes

Enjoyed these submissions.

1. 9 thought this was great, liked how it developed and came in around 50sec mark. seemed to fit nicely with the theme. liked the bass and texture just before the 2:20min mark, and nice switch with the vocal sample.

2. 2 i liked the mood on this one, great use of vocal samples, and overall I enjoyed the structure and sound. good fit with the theme.

3. 15 i really enjoyed the mood of this one. Nice vocal and drums, with understated textures.

HM… 13.

3 Likes

Oh my fuckin’god this bass sound on the beginning of the intro !!! This whole intro deserves to be turned in a full length song

2 Likes

Loved the thematic intro to the playlist. Had a first listen through but getting late here in Blighty so will have a more considered pass tomorrow and cast votes.
Congrats to all who submitted…once again there are some great compositions and the usual interesting range of styles.

1 Like
  1. Scene 16. Great sound design, very technical. Good use of sample in intro and middle. Just really good all round and I really enjoyed it.

2. Scene 15. I like the drum work and choice of drums sounds, the vocal sample works well, and the incidental sounds fit well

3. Scene 9. The melodic parts work really well together and I like the choice of sounds. A big fan of the dubby and spacey vibe to it. In the drum work there’s a good amount of variation too

Scenes 1, 2 and 6 were also on the list

3 Likes

I just want to give a heads up… I am really getting slammed with school… I am 46, going back to Chicago City Colleges, and I am learning to code css and html.

let me say, I am fried.

So I made some mistakes handling the files, trying to host from a school computer and my personal laptop.

I just want to say thank you for your patience as I fix the mishaps, and hope they don’t happen again… i will try to be more careful.

…even though I am not even halfway done with the semester… and the workload is only getting bigger… whelp…

Anyways. Let me just say thank you for your patience if it happens again. i will do my best to not let this happen again.

I take this challenge really seriously. And I respect the time you put in to producing for these challenges.

10 Likes

Anyways. Let me just say thank you for your patience if it happens again. i will do my best to not let this happen again.
I take this challenge really seriously. And I respect the time you put in to producing for these challenges.

You’re doing great! I can’t even imagine trying to go back to school after the disaster of my first attempt, so mad respect man. Keep grinding, these battles are just fun anyway.

Lots of cools submissions in here, but these three stood out to me.

1. Scene #16 - Sounds like a 00-01’ era Kemal / Rob Data / Stakka / Skynet collab on Underfire or Audio Blueprint. I dig that running through space chased by a murky bassline creature feel
  2. Scene #3 - Bassline distortion jumping loud and proud into the stereo field, sign me up. Really enjoyed how the bed elements just sort of ooze and undulate under the kick/bass/snare. BOC DnB
  3. Scene #15 - I really liked the kick/bass pedal motif; it’s an impactful style decision that leaves a lot of space to play with, and I think you filled it very nicely. Probably going to try something like that at some point. Sample and sfx fit the track really well. I wish the running snare/shuffles had a bit more impact. They’re carrying a lot of load in a track like that energy-wise, and I wanted more

HM to Scene #9 - One of the cleanest mixes, lots of swing in the drums, cool sounds and edits. Fell out of the top 3 for me mostly because I couldn’t place myself in the setting of the track, and that’s usually how I vibe. Really nice track regardless!

5 Likes

You are doing an awesome job @BLKrbbt!

But don’t let this get you behind on your school work or burn you out.

If you need to take a break, just do it.

3 Likes

I appreciate that.

Now that everything is up and announce it should be all good!

1 Like

That’s a sick intro tune @BLKrbbt. I couldn’t make this one but looking forward to checking them out in my bunged up covid state :laughing:

2 Likes

I’m ready to vote now…

#1> scene 17 very decent tune, great composition and mix, held my attention the whole way through…

#2> scene 1 again I like compositions that lead from one musical idea to another and this fits the bill, great use of soundtrack and vocal elements…

#3> scene 9 another really good tune technically, mix was very good and the composition was well executed…

Well played everyone :muscle::pray:

5 Likes