Drum n' Bass Battle #5 (Found Sounds) [WINNERS ANNOUNCED!]

I was thinking this too!

Let me announce here shortly and let it run until late June.

Real easy and laid back deadline

4 Likes

Big Lebowski soundtrack. Can only use samples from the movie’s voice/soundtrack. Specifically the meeting with Jack Treehorn and the run in with the Malibu PD

2 Likes

For my 0xC0FFEE track I sampled my home coffee bar during my normal morning routine with a Shure MV88.

The sampled drum breaks were a mix of:

• Tony Alvon - Sexy Coffee Pot
  • Isaac Hayes - Joy
  • Cold Blood - Shop Talk

The source speech and a few horn stabs (isolated with demucs) were from:

The remaining samples were a single cycle wav file and a BlankForm.ms sample. All written/mixed with a Digitakt.

The song name comes from the memory fencing I used to use back when I wrote 24bit Motorola 56k DSP code (which is better than the 32b 0xDEADBEEF).

7 Likes

and then I’ll still end up procrastinating and cramming in the final weekend… :rofl:

2 Likes

mark it 8 dude

1 Like

Thanks for the votes and to everyone for sharing such a great set of tracks.
I was Submission A,

I did feel like a bit of cheat this time around because I’d just laid my hands on a Novation Launchpad and wanted to use this Battle as an opportunity to explore it. I started off thinking I would sample noises in the kitchen but quickly realised I really needed short loops to utilise the Launchpad so I just jumped into Logic Pros loops and used these as my ‘found sounds’.
I mixed together different combinations of three drum patterns, a short synth noise and a pad sample and then mixed, chopped and overlaid five African voice loops to create a call and response sound. Finally I found a single female backing vocal which weirdly fitted in nicely with the male chants and created a second clip from that by reversing it and chopping it up to give a bit more variety.

I created a set of scenes using these components using the loop player in Logic Pro then ‘performed’ them using the Launchpad until I had the basis of a whole song. I then built that same sequence in the track view which enabled me to do a little more refined editing of the vocals and add a few effects and mastering.
This made for an interesting workflow and I’ve recently followed a similar approach using the MC-101 to create and perform a new track and then import everything into LPX to rebuild and tweak.

@BLKrbbt, get us kicked off with a new theme straight away even if you delay the submission date…it’s nice to have time to let inspiration strike!

7 Likes

So mine was Track F, and I’m extremely excited that a couple folks picked it as one of their favorites. Thank you!

The upright bass figure is taken from a Prokofiev piece, I think “Overture on Hebrew Themes.”

The high-pitched whistling noises are extremely slowed-down mockingbird calls recorded late at night from my back window.

My wife & I used to have an animal-themed podcast a million years ago, and we’d often have to quit our sessions mid-recording because the mockingbird that lives in the tree outside is so loud it was like it was in the room with us. At least whenever the studio got hot enough that we had to open the windows, which is half the year.

After a while I’d had to edit so many mockingbird calls out of our conversations that I’d built up a whole scratch project full of them. So of course I started writing chord progressions under them.

5 Likes

Is that a 1zpresso JX Pro? If so then I have the same. Great grinder!

Also I’ve been eyeing the Robot but haven’t pulled the trigger haha

1 Like

Yeah, it is that grinder although I’ve relegated it to my occasional late night decaf grinder with the Niche as my goto.

The Robot’s awesome and especially since I only do Americanos. I got spoiled with my daily routine for 6 years because the engineering firm I used to work for had a La Marzocco (and later Synesso) setup. I bought the robot very early in the pandemic as a splurge (and the niche >1 yr later) and James Hoffman’s walkthrough is what sold me. First Look Review: Cafelat Robot - YouTube

2 Likes