Drum n' Bass Battle #5 (Found Sounds) [WINNERS ANNOUNCED!]

Only two more votes to go and we can get to the dissecting bit :hocho:

1 Like

Yea, I’d say my votes are the same. But no one did a poor job, at all. Very well done all.

3 Likes

mine are the same too, enjoyed listening to all the tracks.

2 Likes
  1. G
  2. E
  3. H

All of these are great, shoutout to @BLKrbbt for hosting!

4 Likes

Okay so this bashed my bracket to hell and back.

In a hell of an upset, I think E has knocked I off the charts by taking 1st place.

I know H was in 3rd before and should be dropped, but I really, really like H a lot.

I still think G could’ve been the best of the bunch, but it loses me at some point around the 2-4 minute mark—nonetheless I think it’s got a more earwormy leitmotif than I. So as good a job as it does with its source material, it’s been dropped a peg, and as much as I & I liked I, it’s been dethroned.

Sorry, everybody. This is like the first time I saw VAR.

New order is:

#1: E
#2: H
#3: G

Must not sleep / I bash the bracket and breach

2 Likes

I think that is everybody! Great Job All!

By my calculations… and please let me know if Im off… but I got a clear first place, and two runner ups in a tie… So I used my judicial powers and picked the winners… (if you care about that sort of thing)

#1 @jeye_musik
#2 @InTheAM
#3 @proskynesis

Congratulations everybody!

It was a great spread of votes for such a tight voting pool. I really appreciate the turnout.

7 Likes

Yeah. Congrats to everyone! Ah, thanks for the votes too. The bass on mine came from a shitty vibrating car with its speakers up full tilt. Just saturated it to 12 and played it out with simpler. Also got to make my vocal debut with the classic “uhh”, i know, deep.
This was a really fun challenge that finally got me to utilize my Zoom H6. Major props to Blkrbbt for all the work and patience. High fives to the rest of yous, you’re all beautiful.

3 Likes

Wow thanks all!! I went to the first highmass of lent in Norrtälje church and recorded a priest and a lady playing the organ. Also a winterstorm from a cliff by the sea. D was actually a halfdone track I had laying around but had some trouble with. Im gonna work on it some more and cut it pretty hard. G was made very fast and will maybe fix some stuff on that too.

3 Likes

COFFEEE!!!
damn nice playlist, one day I’ll get an octatrack sample some loops and try this thing :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks ya’ll. I really enjoyed making this track and listening to all the entries.

The very first sound in the track is me blowing through a tube and reversed and resampled some. Then there is a little loop of some mechanical sounds I scavenged from an old, old track. I don’t remember what machines/devices were recorded, but it was helping a friend record a sample pack ages ago. I don’t know if it counts but I “found” the vocals from a Carl Sagan video on YouTube lol. All the rest is from your usual suspects.

Did most of the work on a Pioneer Toraiz SP-16, finished and mixed on my laptop.

3 Likes

Great work everyone and big congrats to the top 3, well deserved slots there I’m gonna give special props to @proskynesis for being brave and taking dnb back to some of its earliest rave roots when tempos were slower and the vibes were lighter, kudos man, you really captured that spirit well :+1:

3 Likes

Ooh thank you so much!! Almost done with a new slightly shorter more cosmic version.

4 Likes

You’re welcome man, credit where it’s due and all that…

2 Likes

Congratulations everyone! Another epic round.

Now then… when is the next challenge and what is the theme?

3 Likes

Fantastic efforts from everyone!! And thanks for the the votes and nice comments. I’m over the moon, I had low expectations hoping just to get a few honourable mentions as I’ve only ever tried to write d’n’b a few times. It was such a fun experience to push myself out of the comfort zone and will definitely be doing more in the future.

As for my track, the found sound was from a local TV news programme from where I grew up and in a time when I would’ve still been living at home. The track itself was mostly done with the Digitakt jammed into Live via Overbridge. I then chopped and tweaked the arrangement and added in couple synth parts both using Arturia’s Synclavier VST.

2 Likes

I have an idea, but why not let everyone make suggestions…

Also, I don’t know when to announce? Right away? or after the next hip hop announcement?

I don’t want to step on anyones toes, but I’m also ready whenever!

2 Likes

Congrats! It was close but you had a clear advantage throughout.

1 Like

I don’t have any suggestions for a theme… I quite enjoy trying to figure out how best to respond to the Mission Brief so I’ll be keen for whatever. As for timing, I found it a bit of a challenge having the last Hip-Hop and this D’n’B challenge so close together so it would be good if there was a bit of space between the next round of both but I’ll likely try to do both if I can regardless so just whatever works for everyone else.

1 Like

I’m selfishly thinking about a long haul flight I have next week and a few days of travel that will be prime music making time for me :sweat_smile:

But far more importantly, do what is right by the community :raised_hands:

One idea might be to announce the next challenge early and have it run longer… that way those who want to get started early can do that and others who are tight for time could join in later? Just a thought…

1 Like