Drum n' Bass Battle #2 (Arcade Edition) [Playlist is up! SUBMISSIONS CLOSED!]

Okay, here is my Jamuary #16.

It not necessarily DnB, but it is a chiptune track made on Maschine… Its my first track upload using nothing but Maschine and a chiptune expansion from Native Instruments.

Its just a warm up!

This is just a taste of whats to come.

2 Likes

I’d like to participate as well!!

1 Like

Word!

Just to be clear, ANYONE can enter a track.

The invite list is for next time so everyone gets alerted to the deets.

And after the battle is over, I’ll go through and add anyone who posted in the thread.

More the merrier. Everyone is welcome.

1 Like

@BLKrbbt I understand your ‘less rules the better’ view, but I’d like a little clarification please

title says ‘Arcade’
description says ‘video games’ and ‘any system’ that means non arcade video games as well?
then you say ‘chiptune’ as the thing… and thats just a part of the video games music

I’m fine with whatever, but I’d like to keep the spirit of the topic, no generic dnb :slight_smile:
and I’m just not sure what is that specifically

so is it the chiptune 8bit 80s/90s squeeky stuff?

1 Like

All the above.

Whatever inspires you. All those options work.

It can be any era, any system.

I’m just throwing out options.

But you are correct, there has to be some tie in to the topic.

I mean, I’ll take any track submitted, but when it comes to everybody voting, there always is some discretion by everybody.

Every time I use izotope it destroys my mix. I should follow some tutorials I think

1 Like

I really struggled to get it to do anything I liked.

Switched to Fabfilter (Q-3, C-2, L-2, Saturn) and much happier now.

Plenty of people use it and get great results so it’s probably just me being a dummy.

3 Likes

I totally understand. Now I use Ableton stock plugins + fabfilter Pro Q3. Works better for me as well as I feel I understand more what I am doing setting everything manually step by step.

1 Like

I’m in.
I am already doing some research

7 Likes

Personally think it’s a far better approach for people new to mixing in general to stick with stock plugins etc when finalizing a mix, 1 it’s good practice and teaches you about each plugins function, 2 it trains the ears and will in due course improve the quality of your beats, I’m no pro by any stretch but I feel like doing it this way has benefited me way more that these one stop shop plugins where you just hit the “light master” preset to give a rough mix a little shine…

3 Likes

Last time I heard this the bass wasn’t quite as pronounced… That sounds awesome. :smiley:

A Goldeneye rerelease may be happening at the end of the month.

‘For England, James?’
‘For England, Alex’.
‘But it was too easy, James’.

2 Likes

No promises, but I’m gonna try to make Terada proud

2 Likes

Id love a remake of Perfect Dark

1 Like

Damn thats a banger.

Using that as a reference for arranging would be so helpful as well.

1 Like

Samesies. Ozone on a master can mess both the the parts you want louder and the parts you want left alone - usually feels like it messes up my mix balance. I don’t like one-button tools.

The FabFilter tools (Mastering bundle, especially L2, usually MB as well, plus sometimes Saturn) are on every track I make. Individual tracks always have an Ableton EQ and utility, sometimes an Ableton compressor for sidechaining the kick into the bass so I duck the bass a little for the kick to punch a little harder. Ozone is only rarely used by me on a submix (I usually have a submix bus for vox, drums, guitar, bass synth+guitar, and lead synths)

1 Like

Dont try duck hunt. Those sounds and stupid melodys drive you almost crazy after just 10 minutes when you loop them. Guantanamomusic.

4 Likes

Same. Q-3, C-2 and L-2 are the greatest tools in my collection. And Saturn - the ‘Faster Master’ and ‘Hip-Hop Puncher’ presets in the Mastering folder are sublime. Just make sure to switch to HQ mode. :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for the shout out @BLKrbbt!

2 Likes

Of course.

Gotta give credit where credit is due.

1 Like

@BLKrbbt, when you post the tunes at the end for voting would it be possible to include hints to the games sampled (either in the track name or the track image)?
I didn’t recognise most of the cartoons used in the last one so it was hard to understand what samples had been used to create the track and I would have liked to have given extra credit to peeps who used the source material cleverly.
Just a thought…

3 Likes