Drum n' Bass Battle #2 (Arcade Edition) [Playlist is up! SUBMISSIONS CLOSED!]

Yeah for the most part, just gotta tweak and add some of the magic herbs and spices :+1:

1 Like

I think it’s time for me to bring the Maschine mk3 into play.

It has such a huge learning curve, plus so many expansions to go through, that is been taking some time getting comfortable using her.

I’ve been defaulting to the 404, since I’m comfortable using it with all its fun and quirky limitations.

Edit: I just picked up the chip tune expansion from Native Instruments.

1 Like

the less rules the better, just finished the Zelda hip hop track, and there were more rules than the game itself. too bad cuz if I won we would be doing a Memphis horrorcore type battle next lol

2 Likes

You are right. Someone made the suggestion, so I had to put it out there.

But less to no rules the better.

I’ll even say it, you don’t even need to sample a game. It can be an original composition, as long as you use chiptunes.

There just has to be some tie to video games, even if it’s just on paper.

3 Likes

Well, if you get the votes, that may be the next battle.

I know phonk came out of those roots as well.

And the cowbells on my TR8S don’t get used enough.

There are websites for downloading YouTube videos as video or audio files.

Might be easier than black hole?

2 Likes

Might be time to see if I can remember how to play my ocarina…. It has been 10 years!

7 Likes

Did you do something for the Zelda battle?

1 Like

No, missed it I’m afraid.

1 Like

So it’s like this is a 1up

1 Like

And I’ll be sure to mix master in stereo with decent gain staging too. That’s the feedback I’ve received on my recordings. I figure it will help me produce quality tunes.

2 Likes

Well, that’s good practice in general. People in this battle are pretty forgiving, so just do your best.

If anything, make sure you gain stage first. It helps to get everything to a similar level when you go to mix. -12 to -18 is usually the norm to leave headroom. Then use a maximizer or a limiter at the end with a brick wall at -0.3.

I’m sure there are other opininions on this too, but this is what I picked up from Chicago City Colleges.

1 Like

Thanks I’m thinking of picking up Izotope in the future when on sale. I’ve heard that producers use it a lot to clean up gain staging issues. People on SoundCloud are too critical especially when it’s not paid music lol.

1 Like

People are mixed (“mixed”… haha get it?) on Izotope.

I use it on every track. But it doesn’t help with gain staging. That’s something you do on your own. What’s your audio interface?

Izotope is good for maximizing, limiting, and EQ’ing. It has a “mastering assistant” that gets my tracks loud enough to be used on SoundCloud and YouTube, without worrying about clipping. It also EQ’s, but I use it as a starting point, and adjust how I want, and I always add a high pass shelf at 20Hrz, to keep the bass from getting muddy from the Moogs.

If I’m getting anything wrong, please correct me, anybody. I feel like I’m going out on a limb talking about mastering on a public forum, especially since I’ve been producing only a year, but I did take a production class at a college, and got an A.

2 Likes

Gotcha. I’ll keep this in mind. I’m using my Zoom Livetrak L12 and TX-6 for audio interfaces.

1 Like

I just reread your post, and you are right. It can help with gain staging issues.

It’s easy, just play your sound, or your instrument at its loudest, and see what it reads in your DAW. Get all of them between -18 and -12, by turning down the fader on the mixer. On the instrument, I usually keep them 80% volume, just so the noise floor is manageable. If it is still too hot, go lower.

That’s really all there is to gain staging.

Hope I helped!

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Raided my kid’s stash in the piano bench. Pretty sure I won’t use it but it is cool! (I’ve started an original DnB chiptune riff and drum line this afternoon)

2 Likes

I hope you have time to post a quick tune from the Ocarina. I wold love to hear how it sounds.

EDIT. wait. That’s for piano. I should get that book. I’m currently taking piano lessons.

Plus, I wonder what the Zelda themes sound like ran through a Prophet 6!

2 Likes

I’m just gonna leave this here.

2 Likes