Drum n' Bass Battle #1 (Get Animated) New Compilation Mix by DJ Enzyme!

90's Old School Sample CDs Collection : CyberYoukai : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive there is a ton of stuff in this collection… I would just note that a lot of old sample cds didn’t clear samples.

3 Likes

Good lookin out fella, I already grabbed the 10gb pack a while back but it bares reposting, most if this stuff is long lost and very hard to source the originals of… there’s a lot of filler in some of the packs but also plenty of classic gems…:+1:

You could go straight to Ray’s source -

2 Likes

I use python and the terminal command line directly to use demucs. If you are on Mac or Linux, I can write up a how to but it will require using the terminal.

I’m not aware of an easy to use demucs client but I have ran across several spleeter UIs that should be easy to download or use a webrowser. The quality of spleeter isn’t as good as demucs (demucs is mind blowingly great) but I used spleeter for like a year and got a ton of use out of it. I’ll google around later when I have time.

Edit: Spleeter is also what powers the Koala app’s stem splitter – if you have that app already you can try using it just for that purpose. Otherwise you can try giving this a shot: https://ezstems.com

Dang. I keep forgetting about koala.

Too much going on with Jamuary.

Thanks for the info!

Thanks @djenzyme for putting this mix together :partying_face: :sunglasses:

1 Like

For those posting up sample packs. I have never used one, just curious what the benefit is vs just sampling tracks and cutting samples directly like I did for my track. Is it to save time? To have a nice library to go through? Having perfect timed loops- bpm labeled or nice precut one shots easily accessible? Or is there usually some preprocessing going on that makes things sit together nicely or more interesting to use

If just doing this for fun, and not to release. Any thoughts?

I’d say yes to all your questions. Surely I save time expecially on those sounds I am less willing to arrange and design from scratch. Also for some kind of music like jungle and DNB it is great to have some drum sample that has a perfect BPM for you track (say 175 or similar) and that you can layer with other drum hits like BD or hats.

On the other hand I dream of having enough time to write all my sounds on my own!

1 Like

Well, one of the benifits of flippin packs is that you can go hard as f*ck.

Like this.

1 Like

Yes its easier and quicker. I sample directly from tracks also if I want to feel a little traditional but mostly use breakpacks. I dont know all the classic funktracks either so its also educational to see them collected. Another thing is that alot of processed and chopped breaks have became classics on their own like some amens, dark soldier etc and can be used as a nod or to easy move tracks to the same vibes.

1 Like

Sample packs are good for slapping things together quickly - I tend to use drum hits from sample packs as a base to layer and further process them until they work for what I’m doing. Sometimes you want a classic sound like a 606 hi hat or a particular break, and they’re very useful for that. There are a ton of very low quality sample packs out there though, and you have to dig to find stuff that’s actually decent.

2 Likes

@malus_mons

@Oxenholme

I’m leaving this here for when I post the next DnB announcement.

Love to have you guys!

I’m gonna make an invite list.

4 Likes

I’ve actually almost finished my prospective track for the next challenge, I’m hoping I can massage the brief into it :sweat_smile: , if not I’ll post it up anyways and start from scratch :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

It’s a pretty broad topic. I’m sure you will be fine.

1 Like

I think I may post the next battle today.

I ended up having a bit of time.

4 Likes

Looking forward to having another go as I learned so much in the last battle, not least, what DNB is!
Just finished another challenge with a buddy to create some Neo Soul Lofi so I need something else to work on.

1 Like

Well, lemme brew some coffee, and get to work.

I’m excited!

1 Like

New battle is UP!!!

3 Likes

I did SO many different tracks for this challenge beyond the one I submitted. Here are two:

1. “4 Million Light Years and Thus”
    Stream 4 Million Light Years And Thus by King Duppy | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

2. “Son of Phosdex”
    Stream Phosdex Returns by King Duppy | Listen online for free on SoundCloud
    Gear used:
    Digitakt, Monologue, JD-08

Anyone know why these won’t embed? I don’t use Soundcloud much.