Drum machines similar to Nord Drum 2

Hi, long time Nord Drum2 user here. I’ve had one for the last 4 years and it’s kind of my dream machine, I’ve come to understand the synthesis process quite well and I never get tired of it. If I had to ask something else, it would be independent outputs, better FX and 8 tracks instead of 6.

I’d never consider selling it - actually, sometimes I think about getting a second one…but I wonder if there’s anything similar to it that I’m missing, that would help me create different sounds to cover more ground.

I play hybrid drums: a basic 4 piece drumkit with an SPS-SX that I use to trigger backing tracks, clicktrack, samples and/or midi notes that I run through the Nord Drum 2. The electronic part is kind of compact, although setting up drums and pads in 15 minutes is always a nightmare, and that’s why the form factor is important to me.

Is there a similar thing to Nord Drum 2 that you would recommend? I was never interested in ND3 because I already had the SPD-SX, which is a way much more versatile pad, and I don’t think it was a great update to the former unit.

I have understood that ND3 has one advantage over 2 - you can save individual sounds and perhaps categorize them. That part is the only weakness in 2, imo.

Just got the new Volca Drum and it’s definitely fun, if not too deep. How about machinedrum? There aren’t too many hardware drum machines similar to Nord Drum, unfortunately…

1 Like

It’s definitely an option but too big for me at the moment. I was expecting Elektron to release a drum machine with the DT/DN form factor back in NAMM, I would have taken that home instantly!

1 Like

Machinedrums Kit structure is DIVINE! It would be easy to save different sounds as kits.

I like also all sorts eurorack physical modeling drum modules - wonderful stuff there. Intellijel Plonk and various Mutable modules. But… that’s the biggest and most expensive setup. :slight_smile:

Maybe Audiothingies DoubleDrummer? Compact, synthesis + samples, not too expensive

1 Like

From what I understand is that part of the Norddrum engine is inspired by the Simmons SDSV
https://blog.simmonsmuseum.com/?p=1226

I wish Elektron makes a machine that is inspired by the Simmons sound. Or new machine’s for the Analog Rytm with Simmons flavor :slight_smile:

As fan of the Simmons sound there is a update in a few days of the Aly JamesLab VSDS-X 2.0 plug in.
http://www.alyjameslab.com/alyjameslabvsdsx.html

As I look forward the this VSDS-X 2.0 plug in (finally Mac support) I also have the Norddrum 3p…

1 Like

A Nord modular g1 if you can find one for a good price maybe ?

would be happy if nord drum 4 would be just a nd 2 with more outputs :wink: what´s next elektron ? … or clavia ?

How about the new Korg Volca drums?

Nord Drum 1

2 Likes

Had a few Volcas in the past, not really my jam, I think. Plus, I need many different presets and recall them fast.

Didn’t know about this, will have a look. It is definitely small, so that’s helpful :slight_smile:

Already have a DFAM and I’m thinking about getting a second one, but I can’t imagine bringing those with me along with the rest of the drum kit and some other device to trigger them, that would be a logistical nightmare hahahaha!

Machinedrum is very nice and it would feel very familiar to me since I’ve owned many Elektron devices over the past years. There are some available relatively near me in the second hand market, but it might be too big for what I want.

Very interesting stuff, I didn’t know that! Will investigate furher…

I’ve read that you need a computer to program patches, is that correct? I love the sound of both units, to be honest. Might be worth looking into it, thanks!

That’s my dream, really. Independent outputs for all channels, decent FX for both individual parts and master, optional pad for those who already have it and midi thru. I wouldn’t mind spending a big chunk of money on that unit.

I think it’s the only machine I’ve had where I’ve reached that point of control over it. It’s not like I’m an expert and I know there’s a lot of elements on it I haven’t explored yet, but it’s so easy to control, so immediate…it’s a very rewarding machine.

I think I might get a second one, actually. Just in case :slight_smile:

1 Like

There’s the odd Waldorf Attack rack appearing on Ebay and Reverb, usually around 4 to 500 GBP. If I could afford that now, I would get one asap.

1 Like

Sonic Potions LXR?

Nothing like a nord but Roland TM-2 fits in your hand, accepts your own samples, loops and backing tracks, has effects, can be triggered or midi. And cheap.

Double drummer is not particularly comparable I don’t think (I have one and
Love it though)
G1 has some great drum modules and user patches on line… But isn’t as strong at drums as other things … It’s quite weak on kick drums for example. ( i have one and love it though)
From what I’ve seen on YouTube, the new Korg volca drum is a pretty good bet ?

Maybe that why Simmons became Ess now, maybe that’s the current project he’s assigned to :stuck_out_tongue:
(obviously a stupid joke)