Drum machine with knobs?

I’ve been on the same mission as you, OP.

I’ve had a DFAM (twice). It’s great, but it’s not really a drum machine, I would describe it more as a dynamic rhythm creator.

I’ve had a Model:Cycles (twice). Great little thing, kicks are insanely good, but it can be a trial getting hats and snares that sound the way you want them. For £200 I think it’s great.

I’ve had an OG drumbrute. Great sequencer, but the sounds get boring fast, the impact seems to address a lot of these issues though.

Thought about the Vermona, but I’ll be honest, I’m not that keen on the sound, I’d probably get a Tanzbar, but I know the interface would piss me off, same goes for all the Jomox gear.

In the end, I decided to just pre-order a Perkons, because if that doesn’t fill the brief, nothing does and I might as well quit.

Anyone want a kidney?

8 Likes

The original Roland TR-8 is a fabulous and cheap knob per function drum machine. It’s pretty big, with lots of space between the controls. Loads of classic XOX sounds (grab a used one with the 7x7 expansion) which sound authentic and take external effects nicely. It also makes a great DAW controller. And I do enjoy the scatter function. Nice effects as well. Can’t recommend it enough. Yes the TR8S has more bells and whistles such as sample import, but it also has a more complex UI with a little screen. I didn’t enjoy the TR8S as much as the original.

6 Likes

Or go discrete drum synths, lots of really cool stuff out there old and modern, JHS SD1, Synare, Electro Harmonix, Boss/Amdek, Andromeda Space Rockers etc. Endless fun and you can choose your own sequencer.

3 Likes

Had one of them too, great if you’re looking for the classic Roland sounds.

Buyer beware though, the 7x7 expansion is no longer available, so buy one that’s already got it to avoid disappointment/massive ballache.

3 Likes

I am very tempted to snap up a bunch of Jomox Mbase and Mbrane units before they become scarce. The Mbase is absolutely incredible, perhaps my favourite kick drum synth. And the Mbrane is capable of producing so many different sounds. They’re pretty cheap second hand if you are patient.

The Vermona Kick Lancet is a wicked little machine as well. Far more basic than the Mbase but easier to dial in.

Props to the Volca Kick as well, though I found the overall sound a little ‘plastic-y’. Can be beefed up with external processing.

Not aware of many other non-kick-related boxes other than the Mbrane beyond complete synths such as the Nord Drum, which are digital and are a bit menu divey.

2 Likes

Then you absolutley do not want a model:cycles. That screen is miniscule.

2 Likes

Yeah, but real ninjas don’t look at the screen on it.

4 Likes

No point, there’s no song mode.

2 Likes

But is it still worth it in 2022?

2 Likes

You can still buy it here: https://www.roland.com/us/products/rc_7x7-tr8/

It’s just under Roland Cloud now.

4 Likes

Fair play

That’s news to me, thanks for sharing! So much misinformation on the internet.

Nothing beats the Linndrum. (Excuse the pun).:crazy_face:

2 Likes

Spam:

Here I’ve used the Kenton Pro Solo MK3 to control trigger, pitch and velocity. The DFAM needs 10 volts (which the Kenton delivers), many devices only have a 5 volt range. I was planning to add a fourth output for the second pitch, but it deemed to me already that this money grave is not for me.

Also, if one wants to make samples from it - hitting the trigger button generates a different sound than a triggered step in a sequence, and it sounds not good (it’s like something is happening too late or too early - you’ll hear a high note like a grace note on the trigger), so one has to slow down an actual pattern and then slice it.

4 Likes

Here’s me on the Bass Station II, straight out of the instrument, no effects:

Edit: Those are the sounds at least /I/ expect from a drum machine :smiley:

(oh btw. @Annihilation_Squares here’s one more clip …)

15 Likes

A very good idea.
Maybe just a little skiff with the basics could already be much fun…

Have you tried Rhythm Wolf.

(slowly backs out of the room…)

5 Likes

Sequential TOM beats it because parameters locks. :raised_hands:

OK they’re only for pitch and reverse but they’re still awesome with that 8-bit lo-fi grit.

… as far as i know, the erika techno system also does only 808ish and 909ish sounds? …

Yeah, it’s basically a eurorack 909 with a bass synth and two sample channels.

Pretty much perfection, if you ask me.

3 Likes