Drum machine with knobs?

DFAM sucks as a drum machine.

Another vote for Ritmobox here. Or a Perkinsons.

Or an electribe ER1.

1 Like

Yup, BS 2 is great for drums IMO. I really like a resonant BP filter for drum sounds and the BS2 filter is great

1 Like

Ritmobox, RD8, Vermona DRM

01/IV Looks perfect. If I could find one to buy :frowning:

3 Likes

Dont forget, you’ll need a midi sequencer to run it. So, you’re back in menu land already with that one.

2 Likes

OP-Z is cool for this. It’s always on my desk and ready to roll. Knobby sound design is perfect for me, and no need to learn a new sequencer.

DFAM is a lot of fun and it can make a vast array of sounds but it’s not typical in terms of drums… it’s very noisy, untamable and musical. Capable of extremely fat kicks and toms. To get a kick snare hat sequence out of it is possible but limited by 8 steps - so not much room unless you know it upside down and treat it as a performance piece. Anyway it has a funny name for good reason :wink:
I do have DB Impact too. Got it because it’s a bit of a no brainer for the price being analogue and knob per function plus the sequencer is great fun and creative. Imho it sounds way better than the original Drumbrute. It has a ‘colour’ setting which basically drives the output harder and it’s quick to use every setting on the fly. Great fun to tweak and lot’s of possibilities but not really your classic drum machine sounds though it get’s close to a few if you know what you’re doing. This works great for me though anyway because I use sample chains of all the classic drum machines on my OT!

2 Likes

One more for the pulsar! If you don’t mind a mess of cables

1 Like

Tanzmaus!

3 Likes

Man I’ve been waiting on that for a while. No idea when I can get one.

the DFAM lacks midi. I think you can trigger it via gate/trigger in but I’d research how well that approach works before committing. also you’d need a midi-cv/gate converter, if you don’t have one.

regarding the 01/IV… beware that it does have some hidden parameters only accessible via midi CC’s. not the end of the world, but worth considering; I don’t know how well the OP-Z works with sending CC’s, for example.

Behringer’s RD-8 MKII & RD-9? Looks knobby enough.

2 Likes

It’s pretty basic, and you need 2-3 cables to get enough control. Too much for the OP-Z, even with the op lab module.

Really really well! Getting hold of an 01/IV looks to be the problem here.

I like a good 808 as much as anyone, but prefer more sound possibilities.

Erika Techno System seems like a very interesting option.

4 Likes

The DFAM is cool, but it’s also quite limited in quite a couple of ways, and although it’s definitely percussion oriented I have to agree with @Microtribe that “the DFAM sucks as a drum machine”

(That Perkons HD01 though :drooling_face:)

1 Like

Might the Model Cycles do the trick?

Would definitely tick a lot more boxes for me than the DFAM if I was looking for a knob per function drum machine, very different sounding kit though.

1 Like

Modor DR-2
Doesn’t necessarily fit your description exactly but it’s a drum machine and no mistake, sounds great and has some great performance features, deserves more love…

3 Likes

Looks amazing. 1750€ though!

Yeah it’s pricey :slightly_frowning_face: