Drum machine for hard techno

Love the tracks people are posting!
Here’s another from me. (DFAM, TR8S, Octatrack, all mixed in Octratrack)

3 Likes

There s gabber-hard territory beyond this :wink:

3 Likes

Fairly random question - is anybody using the model:samples as a drum machine? (I know it has no synthesis engine and needs a laptop before anyone brings it up)

Yeah man, i m pretty tired of most 4/4 techno. Break the grid!

And Public Energy - Three O’ Three is one of my all time favorites! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Um…
Your track is in 4/4…
The time sig 4/4 and the phrase “foor on the floor” = not the same thing. :wink:

2 Likes

Ok…

It’s nice , it’s not typical techno with bassdrum on steps 1,5,9,13
And snare on step 5 and 13 , with occasional rolls and lots of claps.
Or possibly a general 32 step pattern with additional. bAss drum trigger on step 15/16 , plus accented steps the mostly follow bass drum steps.

Occasionally a bit of swing .

Aye. Quarter note kick patterns get boring. To be honest I’m bored of my own techno, for that very reason.

1 Like

You just need to make them faster.

Try about 200bpm.

5 Likes

I’ve generally avoided Jeff mills for many years , that 909 techno sound doesn’t do it for me.
I do like Jupiter jazz though , and knights of jaguar.

I think I’m more electro than techno , but it’s still hard to do an interesting electro pattern too… I think the rd8 coming out could lead to a lot of generic dull electro.

Some if the most interesting beats I hear have been in nine inch nails / Trent reznor side projects.

1 Like

Funny thing is, I had all this weird disjointed music I made in my octatrack, literally all I did was put a quarter note kick pattern on it just to goof around… got gigs and a label release within weeks.
I dont know whether to laugh or cry!

12 Likes

I like the sound of this.

2 Likes

Nice and different ! I wouldn’t play like that too long, the crowd would be lost, but it’s sure a fine track.

How can you make hard techno without it though?

1 Like

James Ruskin manages jus fine?

Why is everyone thinking electro when it comes to 808s? I always think of footwork, the RD-8 is going to be a killer for footwork :loopy:

4 Likes

Yes mr. musicologist, 4/4 was used to mean 4 to the floor, not the time signature. :wink:

Anyone who thinks straight 4/4 beats are required for techno, be my guest and keep doing so, but know that there are many more realms to explore. I personally really enjoy rhythms that throw me of balance, gritty and against the grain. I m bored of easy and slick, predictable techno.

I m not a crowd pleaser. I d rather play to 20 people and do my thing than to 2000 and sell my soul. But at least around here, there are quite a few people interested in the same thing, and there are good gigs to play at.

Dpo + Octatrack, Digitone, and analog rytm

Sliding off-topic here, but an interesting topic anyway. It’s good to play with the crowd’s expectations. To give them what they want and then what they’re not expecting. No matter the number of people (yes, you can have a blast with 20 people) or their musical education, for me (both as a performer and someone in the crowd) a good gig is all about interaction. Otherwise I’d rather stay at home.

Needs example set here…

3 Likes

Rocking! :slight_smile:

Surgeon and British Murder Boys have been hugely influential to me:

Surgeon did lots of straight and dry 4x4 that I find less interesting but this series of mixes he did and the BMB stuff blew my mind.

I must admit that as a live performer I am not at a level where I have great freedom in which directions my sets can go. I have a pretty fixed progression of material for a set. I’m aware of the limitations and hope to overcome that some day.

3 Likes

So 4 to the floor is selling your soul? Ok good to know!

3 Likes

I used to do that as well, but I was not enjoying the moment. So I decided to select only the gear that allowed me to do near complete improvisations easily. Ultimately, it completely changed the music to something less polished, harder but also much more simple, admittedly very 4 to the floor oriented and a bit old-school sounding too. But -and that’s a big win for me- every gig has been nothing but a blast since then. I (we actually, we’re two) can play for hours and every set is different. With time, I get more confident with the gear and hope to go into less predictable stuff.

1 Like