Drum machine for hard techno

Neat, thank you!

thanks
boss overdrive on the digitone and boss ds1 on the 303 clone

2 Likes

Any drum machine plus saturation/overdrive will get you into hard techno territory… Just saying…

8 Likes

Yep! There are some machines. We take those machines. We control them. Bend them to our will. We produce art that speaks to some percentage of like minded peoples. Some like it. Some don’t. We all live to repeat the process, and expound on the process to the other maestros of the craft.

1 Like

How easy is it to sync the DFAM to my octatrack?

Heres how I sync my DFAM to Octatrack.
Method 1.
1, sample the DFAM trig out.
2. Use a flex machine (playing DFAM trig sample) sent to Cue. ( use cue mutes track)
3. Cue output to DFAM advance clock in.
Press run on DFAM before starting Octatrack sequencer.
4. DFAM audio out to Octatrack Thru machine or DIR in.

Other things to consider, cue panning, trig sample volume. Trig signal needs to be hot, I set +24db in the audio editor and use the left cue channel pan the flex to the left.

Method 2.
Octatrack midi out to TR8S in.
TR8S trigger out to DFAM advance clock in.
DFAM audio to Octatrack.

Both methods expand DFAM sequence possibilities. Octatrack is obviously the most flexible.

6 Likes

Oh nice, I use the Boss SD-1 a lot too!
I’d highly recommend switching out one or two capacitors to extend the bass response a bit of the pedal. There’s many highpass filtering going on in these overdrives in order not to muddy the guitar chords and whatnot. Some cutoffs go as high as 720 Hz.
Really night and day when you you mod one of these and let a synth run through. Nice oomphy grit :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

DFAM on its way!

7 Likes

You can’t buy one yet, we’re not finished telling you what to do…

15 Likes

Scratches head… but… DFAM isnt a drum machine.

:wink: good choice Moog Synths are cool.

There’s always room for another drum machine in the future…

3 Likes

Funny thing is, I was starting to think about a hw drum machine - something that might be suitable for that industrial techno kinda vibe. Seen some pretty rad examples (maybe in this thread?) that had me quite interested in the tr8s.

But with yamaha releasing pattern sequencing for the montage/modx update, i might end up with exactly what I’m looking for without spending a cent. Although that would depend on how it’s implemented.

Edit: reading an article about the new sequencing, doesn’t look like it’s what im looking for after all. which is a shame since it otherwise sounds damned good and has a whole lotta flexibility.

1 Like

Based on all the clips and sound examples the key component for hard techno is distortion.
:robot:

5 Likes

In a lot of cases. However, there is also quite a bit that’s cleanly overdriven, or just uses “hard” types of sounds. Quite a bit is also in the pattern composition and how things hit and when.

1 Like

in this case it’s got to be the SHERMAN :rofl:

2 Likes

Or perhaps a suite of Metasonix :smiley:

About to trade my Acidlab Drumatix in for a TR-8S now.

I was perfectly happy with that thing too. Thanks a lot, jerks :wink:

3 Likes

The TR-8S is great! I was given a nearly new Rytm MkI though, and I personally like the Elektron sequencer a bit better. The TR-8S is a little more immediate though, which is one of the things I loved about it. If the Rytm had those sliders, it would be perfect. :smiley:

4 Likes

Yea I’ve had both Rytm MK1 and MK2.
Great drum machines, especially if you want to take compositions made with them onto the stage.

But yea, sliders. knobs, immediacy, alla that. :two_hearts:

4 Likes

I love the gain staging on the AR. One really cool thing to do is to bring out the noise in the machines and samples by dropping their volume really low (and adding a bit of bit reduction on samples), then using the overdrive as make-up gain. This coupled with some resonance and a quick envelope on the filter can make for incredibly textured and rough sounds. Also the performance and scene modes really bring this machine to life…

11 Likes