Drum machine for hard techno

Lmao those are all my picks plus the sonic potions XLR or maybe the NOVA 909 too for classic acid techno drum kit?

2 Likes

Hope you enjoy that AR when you get it , lemme know if you need help kicking in people’s chest cavities wth the Bass Drum.:eye:‍:left_speech_bubble::skull:

1 Like

Wtf, that first video should be banned from the internet. :dizzy_face:

1 Like

I think I’m too shy with the distorsions…
Time to go all to 11 I guess !

2 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: Blush Response vs. Marie NO1R

OT is very capable… just to throw this thread even wider :wink:

Drum machine into OT inputs A/B, (use Thru Machine for fx, Neighbour Machine to stack track fx), then routed to OT Cue Outs into whatever you want and back into OT inputs C/D.
Thru Machine for inputs C/D for further fx/filtering.
Or if your drum machine has inputs for external audio, route the drummachine into OT A/B, then Cue Outs into XYZ, then back into the drum machine to create a feedback loop from hell. :wink:

1 Like

Also, never underestimate the value of running kicks through a cheap little mixer that’s being driven hard.
I’ve got a really shit “Phonic” mixer that I bought for £20 new about 15 years ago.
It’s no Mackie in terms of the “classic” hardcore techno sound but it really livens up my kicks and adds a lot of depth to my claps and snares (which also benefit from being pushed a little hard through a quadraverb), especially teamed up with my new Analog Heat. Boosting the overdriven signal from the mixer with the Heat, then EQing and filtering the bass just right makes for absolutely massive kicks, and all from “just” a Roland TR8.

Essentially, as has been said a few times already, it’s not the drum machine that matters really, it’s the processing that makes it.

5 Likes

He literally destroyed it? That’s a shame, but at least the Volka is cheap to replace.

7 Likes

True ! yes, Mackies are well-known for this, but I had similar results with cheap behringer mixers.

1 Like

I might be wrong but I think the Behringer mixers are clones of the classic Mackies.

If Behringer, it must be a clone of something :rofl:

2 Likes

I think the best drum machine would be Tempest or AR.

• Tempest for the drum engine, you can almost do everything you want from kick to bass to hats to snares…
  • AR has a really good kick and toms but the global synth engine isn’t as good as Tempest, where it really shines it’s that you can blend your own samples with intern engines, and elektron sequencer is great as well !!

If you wanna do hard techno I can recommend using external pedal for distortion, reverb and daisy chain them together.

TEMPEST or AR + distortion pedals = PLENTY OF FUN :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

I just love it when someone says some piece of gear is the “best”

:sweat_smile::joy::rofl:

2 Likes

this !

Or I could also suggest a rytm … I have both and still want a second octatrack :smiling_imp:

Actually the Basimilus Itaritas Alter is probably the “best” for hard techno! :joy:

3 Likes

There is no best gear. There’s popular gear. Then there is the gear that one owns, enjoys, and knows how to get the most out of. The latter is what I would call the “best” gear.

5 Likes

We all know such statements have to be taken as subjective opinions, right?

No no no no!!! We need to get angry and form cliques!!! Then we need to ridicule those who don’t agree with our own sensibilities!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(oh wait, I’m not on the right forum for that… :smiley: )

8 Likes

This is what I learned as well. I love making amazing sounds starting with… sounds that are not so amazing :upside_down_face: Like banging an ash tray on my coffee table & turning it into a snare or using my own shitty vocals & turning them into a choir. When I got the A.Heat it transformed all my gear, especially the Op-1, Blofeld & Tr-8… maybe because they’re digital sounds, I don’t know, but the A.Heat turned them into new instruments & I wanted to explore them all over again.

Maybe that’s what’s needed for hard techno… an Analog Heat!

3 Likes