Drum machine for hard techno

Has anyone mentioned DFAM yet? It’s a techno powerhouse. Add some fx and I reckon u could do a set with just that alone.

6 Likes

Sorry for the double post. This is what sold me on the dfam

5 Likes

Why have you just made things more complicated???

Choice is good :wink:
DFAM is a different beast though. don’t expect some programmable step sequencer. It’s very analog.

For me the problem with the DT and DN is the lack of kit-pattern design, I like to tweak the sounds and change patterns with consistency.

2 Likes

I’ve just gone down the DFAM youtube hole… this thing sounds tremendous. I remember glancing at it when it came out and thinking ‘a monophonic drum machine? Eh?’ I was way off course.

2 Likes

It’s a crazy beast that is hard to tame. But it has really big sweet spots. If you are looking for hard techno you can’t ignore it. You have to get the patch cables out which might be a down side to some. It really rewards experimental behaviour. Also its a gateway drug to eurorack. So be warned.

1 Like

Rytm can behave like a DFAM imo, enable all steps on sequencer and p-lock velocity instead of using the trigs which can modulate various parameters. Not the same sound but you get 8 voices, FX, etc.

On another note here is a Reaktor patch which emulates a DFAM, maybe it can be useful to you

Can’t remember where I found it

Edit: seems like it got pulled down

It looks like this version of the Mother 32
Patchcables work
I couldn’t find any image online and I don’t have Reaktor installed atm so cannot screenshot the DFAM

4 Likes

Gotta try that one…

I downloaded it fine. Great fun!

Liar, cheat on yourself :wink: hehehe

For me it’s exact opposite. I find it so annoying that the OT doesn’t tie part/kit to patterns. I will admit there are trade offs but I find it so much easier to have each pattern self-contained so it’s like clip launching.

1 Like

Maybe I have to find a good workflow to do it but for now I sequence the Digitone from the Octatrack.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure the OT does tie the part to the pattern… mine does at least… or I’m not understanding what you are saying. You do have to manually set which part is for which pattern.

Really? 111 comments for a topic that says “Drum machine for hard techno”, while the guy sold his MD? I stopped reading there…

6 Likes

MD badly needs a good distortion after it for hard techno, for me at least.

1 Like

The patterns on the OT are just Trigs and associated parameter locks. If I want to change machine, assigned sample, etc. I need to use parts, which is cool, that’s a design choice. You can switch your pattern from 808 samples to 909 samples on the fly using parts and much more. But I prefer to work on one part and then work on the next part, sometimes with drastically different sounds on each pattern and usually more than 4 times (there are only 4 parts per bank). The DT accommodates this far more easily with it’s Pattern and Sound system and I am happy with it.

:laughing: It was a peculiar way to start the thread, I agree. Turns out he sold the MD and DT because he figured his OT covered the same ground. The rest of the thread is pretty friendly and the insights about making techno are just interesting to me.

To get this sort of workflow, I use slices. Ill have multiple slice files, with up to 64 samples in each, then I I can sample lock from any of those slice files to any slice I want. This is my workflow that cannot be recreated on the DT, and gives me access to much more material to work with. Hope this makes sense because for me it was a real aha moment

2 Likes

Also not trying to say the DT < OT thing, I’m just trying to point out that there a million ways to pet a cat.

1 Like

Sincere appreciation for saying pet a cat instead of skin a cat! I dunno why more people don’t say pet!

5 Likes