Dreadbox Typhon

This is encouraging, and nice for long notes.
Thanks for doing that test @DoS!

Maybe if several of us lobby Dreadbox to allow those mod seqs to run from MIDI start/stop instead of retrigger back to start with each triggered note, this thing could be even more mental.

I could see myself doing techno sets with just the Typhon, my MS, and my MicroLimiter.

3 Likes

Sounds like an excellent plan - the Typhon would be more than up for it (once MIDI sync with external devices works properly…) and is delightfully playable.

Oooo no, might have to get one here in Greece.

1 Like

Ordered.
Dont need another mono but i’ve been blown away by the demos.
I might sell that B Model D .

1 Like

I’ve just placed another order for one with Rubadub. They show it as ‘Guaranteed in stock’, we shall see! :thinking::man_shrugging:

Update : now showing as ‘Temporarily out of stock’.

Posted elsewhere - this is a minimal Typhon-only drone test, with interlocking LFOs and polyrhythmic modulation sequences affected to varying degrees by probability.

5 Likes

Sounds really great @DoS,
Really shows the power of those mod sequencers. This will make a solidly capable, compact OT companion, sampling that stereo output, and resampling OT samples through its more modern stereo FX.

I was not at all in the market for a new hardware synth. Had actually been using more software lately, but as a sucker for interesting onboard sequencers and portability, here I am hoping Detroit Modular gets their stock in soon, as I can’t wait to receive mine.

From what I’ve heard in videos and audio clips, and learned from the manual, the Typhon reminds me of various bits and pieces of synths like the AS-1, Manther, Mopho, and even small eurorack systems.

It’s encouraging that companies are still looking to grow and give us compelling mono synth options that work as all-in-one instruments, from sequencer to synth to fx, with little left on the table that leaves you wanting more for the price.

I am more interested in instruments like these that can function as a good “axe” to be played, but yet still contain more complex features and a full MIDI CC# spec, than low priced remakes of the synths from earlier decades.
And if that means a small bit of menu diving to access the complex functions, then so be it. I’d rather do that to get more out of the instrument than have to wire up and power additional FX, sequencer, and modulation boxes.

6 Likes

Absolutely - I think the Typhon will be perfect for live use as it’s so effortlessly tweakable where it needs to be, and the modulation possibilities are extensive. Last night I took my drone patch from the video linked above and rammed all the FX levels to 100%, seeing how far they would go, and they handled it all very well.

I do wish the lights on the sliders would light up for quick reference in the dark, and it’d be great if they caught the stored values as the slider is passed over them rather than jumping directly, as that make live switching between the sequencers and FX a bit too jumpy as the values switch immediately (likewise with the knobs and stored patch values) – and that damn MIDI sync really needs to be made to work soon - let’s hope the firmware update comes next week as promised.

But it’s amazing having such great and complete patch storage in an analogue synth - the MFB Dominion Club does too, and I’ve paired the two together (though again, NOT in sync, unfortunately) with good results - and I bet an OT in conjunction with the FX would sound amazing. I definitely need to hook the typhon up to my A4 soon as well.

I hope you don’t have to wait too long!

You guys dont think 1 seq pattern per patch seriously limits the usefulness of the sequencer feature? Though i could see that encouraging live tweaking of the sequence.

Is it too limiting on the Digitone, or the ModelCycles?

Same scheme (except one voice) when you think about it.

256 memories is quite a lot.

It absolutely does - it’s a very playable synth.

1 Like

I dont know, never touched them :slight_smile:

Also not sure that comparison really holds. Is it a practical use case to flip through Typhon patterns/patches in a live set like you would with tone or cycles? Would be great if it is indeed.

(I wish damn corona crisis would blow over so i can get a cycles and/or typhon and not fear i ll need the money elsewhere!)

I see no reason why it would be impractical.

In a perfect world, yea it’d be nice to have a kit based system that allows you to switch between sequences without switching the patch. This is why I love my A4 and OT (parts) so much.

But this is the same scheme we see on Model Samples, Model Cycles, Monologue, Minilogue, etc.
And it works on those instruments because they are rather knobby and immediate. You can take that single sequence far.
Perhaps these are more applicable comparisons that hold up better for you?

It’s one of the reasons i prefer MS to Digitakt. They share this same pattern = patch scheme, which gets greater benefit from a knobbier interface (MS) than a more page based interface (DT)

On the other end of things, the Bass Station 2 has 128 presets (64 factory, 64 user), and 4 sequencer patterns. Not 4 per patch, but 4 total. I sold that synth after a couple months because while yea it was great to take a single patch and switch patterns that apply to it, the pattern memory was so low it was only good for creating/saving one to four tunes at a time.
I won’t even go into the Mopho’s “gated” sequencer limitations.

Of course every instrument has limitations, and each will have to make compromises somewhere.
256 patches, each with their own pattern is, in the grand scheme, one of the least limiting solutions to having a ton of patches and sequence memories on a $379 mono synth with onboard sequencer and FX.

4 Likes

Absolutely, yes - loading and switching between patches is very easy and smooth. it reminds me very much of switching between patches/seqs on an Electribe (EM/SX) and so I’ve been building patches in a similar way, changing important details on each and then swapping between them on the fly.

There is of course no song mode (yet?) :wink:

2 Likes
6 Likes
1 Like

man, I can’t wait for Monday (mine arrives on Monday) :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Also worth mentioning, you get instant access to each of those 256 patches+sequences without stopping the sequencer. For live use, this is ideal.

MC/MS is 96 before you have to load another project.
AR/A4/DN/DT/MM/MD is 128.

I think that, thanks to the odd workflow of the sequencer, I also look at it the way I would a eurorack sequencer.
Part of the appeal to me is having that modular vibe, but with the benefits of lots of patch storage and having the patches linked to the sequences is something you don’t get in eurorack.

3 Likes

Be interesting to see what unexpected finds that patch switching and midi cc plocking can bring.
Digitone is yearning for a partner like this

2 Likes

I m fantasizing about coupling this to my Circuit Mono Station, midi + audio. Run the CMS audio output through the Typhon fx and also use the CMS as midi sequencer for it.

3 Likes