Dreadbox Nymphes

You don’t hear the scratchy envelopes? Please try playing a chord in lower octaves, with the cuttof down low, and play with the vca envelope.

i do hear the scratchy envelopes yeah, but i’m chalking it down to “character”, it’s not going to ruin any of the tracks i make, i’m more than capable of doing that myself!

6 Likes

Ok thanks! well at least I’m not crazy.

apparently the v2 firmware fixed it, but not on my unit. overall i love it though, it’s not bothering me (yet)

Nah, what it fixed was much worse.

Has anyone tried using the Nymphes Chord mode
for dub chords?
(Thinking of driving it with one track of the Model:Cycles)

is a good sound

2 Likes

yeah, it’s pretty much the first thing i did with it! does the job great. add some delay and perhaps some of that weird springy internal reverb and you’re mint

I was thinking that dub chords may be the only legit use for it!

by any objective measure it’s a bad reverb imo but it can sound cool with certain patches. the aforementioned dub chords, or sci-fi bleepy bloopy things

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve found it really limited, too, though one trick I like in certain situations is modulating the reverb size with LFO2 (via midi cc 86, can’t get to it on the panel alone), which adds a bit of chorusing effect—not an all-purpose or, like, Juno chorus, but one of the best uses I’ve found for the reverb as an atmosphere effect.

I can replicate this, too, (a little noisy burst with amp attack at zero, right? not scratches in the movement of the sliders, which is what I thought you were referring to at first, and which I’m not getting at all). But I’ve noticed that this is reduced to a very-difficult-to-notice envelope click when the machine is well warmed up, 30 minutes or so, and even then only with the shortest attack setting. Worth trying, maybe, before sending it back/selling?

2 Likes

i quite like the envelope thumps at low filter settings. really reminds the listener that they’re listening to an authentic hardware DAWless jam

(genuinely, i like it, it’s characterful)

4 Likes

Dreadbox synths all have that raw character…in that sense, I’m ok with the noisy envelope, but given the sound of the Nymphes otherwise, I’d love for them to fix this.

1 Like

The thump is great. The scratch not so much.

Hmm. I’ve left it in for hours. Probably won’t sell it yet.

i guess we all have different tolerances for these things. if i had a synth i was unhappy with, i’d sell it in a heartbeat!

I regret selling almost every piece of gear I’ve owned. What I noticed is that the scratchiness is much less pronounced bent when I use it with the ADG-1 analog delay, driving the input. So I’m going to experiment and a lofi poly synth that size is still appealing.

2 Likes

yeah i’ve mostly only sold gear for financial reasons / to upgrade to something better, and i miss most of the things i’ve got rid of over the years. with the exception of the Analog Keys, which i just did not like at all, and all the eurorack which just wasn’t pulling its weight musically in proportion to how much it cost me…

1 Like

Hey, you might be aware of this iPad editor but thought I’d post this incase (I appreciate this is a year late!)

2 Likes

here’s something that’s really bugging me about Nymphes: saving patches and worrying that i’m going to save on top of a patch that i like. i can’t hold them all in my head. most synths have a “patch compare” function but i can’t find anything similar on the Nymphes. anyone got any tips?

3 Likes

No, they’re a pain to keep track of and I’ve lost some patches trying to save to another slot especially. Upthread I posted a .syx file that replaces the factory patches with an init patch, which for me makes it easier to scroll to an unremarkable patch, init, and start moving settings.

Or, the .syx is a pain to get into a first time but it’s not too hard after that to re-save all user patches as factory patches that can’t be overwritten, using a find and replace based on the description in the manual…

2 Likes