Dreadbox Dysmetria DIY kit

Aww. :hugs:

Yep!
Took me 9 hours total build time.
Havent calibrated it yet, but initial test results= everything works. Sounds a bit wild, very anaolgue.

2 Likes

Great!

I finished my own PCB’s yesterday. Read the kit build and calib instructions, and put it aside for another day :smile:

1 Like

Haha yeah the caibration bit seems weird, as you have to test a circuit, then dismantle it to tune? :man_shrugging:

Anyway I’ll do it this week some time.

Still not sure how useful this synth is actually going to be to me…
Fun build though. Oh and the out put is HOT! Eurorack level, no volume control :fist:

Calibration took a fair while. Total fail on the v/oct. Im not getting anywhere near the 8 volts.

And the scaling is way off! Everything else checks out. Might have to follow the scaling mod suggestion.

No idea why Im not getting 8 volts :man_shrugging:

Ive posted a few clips of me messing around it with in the current sounds thread,
Heres another quick youtube clip (not mine)

I think its going to take a while to get good with it. Its a surprisingly complex little synth.

Maybe someone can help me with troubleshooting.
I finally finished the unit but the square wave (osc1 and 2) is very quiet. The other waveforms (also saw osc2) are loud and present.
Do you guys know witch element is the square oscillator?
Anyone with similar issues? Thanks in advance!

@JSJP
Did you measure every resistor before placing?
Did you double check every component? Before and after placing, before soldering?
Are all components placed correctly respecting polarity?
Have you rechecked every solder joint with a magnifying glass?

Were your voltage measurements correct?

Sorry if those are obvious, but thats my level of building. Other than that, I just follow the instructions, I have no proper synth circuit knowledge.

1 Like

Yes yes and yes :-/
I will show my unit to a more experienced diy guy. Maybe he can figure it out…

1 Like

Yeah I had to do that after I finished the xoxbox.

The issues found were embarrasing.

Good luck :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks!

Finally started. That’s a lot of resistors to put in :smile:
I thought I’d do it in an afternoon but I’m only at 3/4 or so.
Mistakes made: 18K prints on the PCB sure do look a lot like 10K when you’re not paying close attention…

1 Like

Video from Dreadbox of it with Nymphes:

3 Likes

After a lot of working hours I finally send the unit to dreadbox for trouble shooting…

Oh boy… nearly 2 years later and I finally finished the build. Has been sitting on my desk in various stages of incompleteness all the while.

Started the tuning process with the unit checking bit: only plops on gate onset. No oscillators sounding…

Back to the work bench then :sob:

2 Likes

It’ll be worth it in the end - one of my favourite modules / devices of recent years, currently hooked up to A4 CV/gate control for added extra oddness.

Cool! Got some audio snippets?

Here’s a quick and dirty render of the end of a jam; it’s not that exciting really, so I need to record something more interesting that uses both to better effect.

This is the A4 on percussion with Dysmetria bleeping through a QuadraVerb and some added Dreadbox Raindrops for extra delay:

2 Likes

Sound!

Magnifier goggles inspection revealed several bad joints to the ground plane. Should have used a bigger tip…

1 Like

Music!

If you can call a very first jam that :smile:

I didn’t know what I was doing. Just 1 pattern. A few fat bits in there. Eventide fx on top.

Tuning weirdness. Whatever I do the 1V/oct measures 0V, not 5V :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes