Drambo (iOS)

Had some fun today in Drambo playing around with playback conditionals over 16bars:

2 Likes

FWIW, if I didn’t have an Octatrack and wasn’t concerned about playing ‘LIVE’ it can definitely be a sort of OctaTrack replacement.

Drambo has taught me a few things I have taken back to the OT, and vice versa. The beauty of Drambo is that it offers a lot of flexibility for how you want to create music…which has been a long time in the making on iOS for me. Drambo just ticks a lot of the boxes that Elektron workflow provides to us as music makers.

Here are two really cool DigiTakt style patches for Drambo:

6 Likes

Anyone have an opinion on using Drambo purely as a multitimbral synth controlled by the DT sequencer? (Or: other app suggestions?)

Yeah I’m more interested in using Drambo for modular synthesis and other experimentation. I don’t have much interest in the sampling/sample playback aspect.

OT is the only device I’ve really played a lot with sampled audio. Otherwise I’m just too lazy to manage loads and loads of audio files.

fwiw, I’m not against people trying to use Drambo as some sort of cheap alternative to Octatrack. My take and opinions are what they are, that’s all.

That presets vid you dropped was ace!

1 Like

It’s be great for this, or use MiRack (assuming you want modular style)

Otherwise there’s literally a billion great soft synths for iPad.

Sure, but not too many that are multitimbral.

2 Likes

Good point @alspacka!

Decided to slow things down tonight to help me unwind. Hope you find it soothing and affirming. May your week be a blessed one :pray:t3::two_hearts:

4 Likes

According to the developer AU3 hosting is coming to drambo soon as an IAP.
I honestly can’t wait.
I was having pretty vivid dreams about P-locking AU3 synths within drambo Every night for about a week (sad I know, but I’m sure most of us have similar dreams after making music before bed), so I asked in the Facebook group about the possibility of this becoming a reality.
Apparently my dreams were prophetic as they’ve been working on implementing it for a while and should be available reasonably soon.

1 Like

That is wonderful news.

1 Like

Just FYI midiSTEPs can do this in standalone.

Yep. Cannot wait for this. Dreams do come true.

2 Likes

It’s going to be RIDICULOUS.

1 Like

I’ve bought and used Drambo for a couple of weeks and kind of stopped completely, will wait and see and it improves, but for now it’s not a tool i was expecting it to be…

Two things were very frustrating:

1. If i want to use it like Octatrack(most basic use scenario), load a loop, slice it, and place all the slices on the sequencer grid, i have to use midi keyboard, find a note which corresponds to a first slice, press it, then press a step on a sequencer, and so on…real pain to do if u have more than eight slices. There’s no way to make it faster, except it u program something using lfos/envelopes/etc

2. If i want to use it like Digitakt and work with one shot samples, there’s no simple way to make sound locks, u have to load a shot sampler for each sample, isolate midi notes, then again use midi keyboard…of course u could use multisample module, but that is so old-fashioned, it’s like using one of those hardware akai samples from 90’s…

In general, i think the developer is stuck in a “DAW” way of thinking despite having such a cool concept as modular groovebox, when it comes to “composing” u r stuck with midi keyboards and such…it’s just not fun to use. I mean it IS, when u build your own strips of modules and stuff, so i think it’s more suitable as a replacement for digitone or model cycles, but not as replacement of octatrack/digitakt. Not yet anyways.

1 Like

Had drambo set up in aum using it to sequence auv3s and the possibility of having drambo host them is amazing.

Went back to drambo today and gave their samplers and instruments a blast as was great fun. Adding auv3 will make it pretty excellent

Here’s a little jam i put together with some samples i captured from Massive X via the AutoSample feature in the free MPC Beats on the desktop. Being able to generate these key groups and being able to import them directly into Drambo is going to insure that i spend even more time in Drambo than i already do :crazy_face:

I’m pretty new to all this sampling stuff, but i guess it’s time to look into keygroups on the OT…fun fun fun :pray:t3::two_hearts:

3 Likes

Lovely stuff

1 Like

Here are some KeyGroup Samples I captured from Pigments and Massive X using the AutoSampler tool in MPC Beats:
https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0L4w1NRokN3GBVrO-HfGzifpA#echo_opera

They run great in Drambo. Just fiddle with the Delay and Release to get them to sound how you want. Cheers.

9 Likes

Thank you for sharing these!

2 Likes