Drambo (iOS)

Had some time at the Ocean in Laguna Beach today with the wife and kids and was recharged.
Hope everyone is well. Blessings and joy to you all:

4 Likes

Testing out a new little MidiRack @bcrichards put together based on a request i made on the Drambo forum and here’s the evolving piece:

You can grab the AUM setup here as well:
project file:
https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0XydqLPOIEbxw4xGku9CrIcqQ#between_the_signal_paths

2 Likes

Thanks, sounds wonderful!

I see you have a DSP between 50-60%. The DSP on my iPad Pro 2017(gen2) 12.9"(iPadOS 13.6.1) is between 60-115%, so sometimes the sound is crackling. What iPad do you use?

Thank you. I have the 2018 iPad Pro.

I enjoyed listening and watching this. Will now look at Drambo. Thanks for sharing.

Supposedly that generation of iPad pro has a graphics related bug that rears its head with AUM. This is what user Carnbot over at Audiobus Forums told me:

Yeah I think this is the ipad pro 2017 bug with the GPU, can’t remember what causes it, I have it too on my 12.9 2017 Pro…but I don’t think there’s anything Jonatan can do as I discussed this with him ages ago on the AUM beta.

I have a 2017 Pro and I ended up buying a 2018 Pro to use because of this. Now I’m able to run patches almost twice as complex because I’m not running into the DSP spikes when opening/closing/moving windows.

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying this.

1 Like

Here’s another little Drambo Randomness + AUM project file for you to enjoy:

Project file:
https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0mGKIeEkyH7uo5YkuD41UfM9Q#Randomness

4 Likes

New Drambo user here. Still trying to pick my jaw up off the floor.

:raising_hand_man:

8 Likes

Its really my favorite Ipad App of all times.
Could eventually replace my Nord modular G2 , im waiting for this midi controller to be available : https://electra.one/

That looks lovely. What’s the deal, can you order one yet and how much?

First batch is gone i think. They had some delay because of the Covid.

take a look at this :

Support for bitmap :

Macro

With version 2 it is possible to assign one pot to several controls. In such situation turning the pot will affect values of all assigned controls.

This midi controller combined with Drambo could be a killer combo.

Wow!
How much?

I think its around 399€

Have you got G2 keys? You could patch up an amazing midi controller for Drambo with it, complete with Midi Talkback!

Drambo can sound excellent. Especially for drums, fx and mono synths. My attempts at patching polysynths haven’t been so successful. For more “traditional” or classic polysynths in iOS I prefer Zeeon - also from Beepstreet.

After a lot of time with Drambo, i hit these barriers when using with other gear, above all the OT as master clock - main sequencer:

• No midi program change in stanalone mode - only via AUM or Audiobus. In the case of AUM, this is a problem because Drambo’s clock would have to be slaved to AUM and AUM’s clock slaved (via AB) is so unstable it’s unusable. I asked the wonderful developer Giko about this and explained why PC change in standalone would be essential for some for live projects… He said he’d implement it.

• Using midi from OT scenes and Xfader to control Drambo scenes - this requires a midi processor and scripting. With the G2 I built a patch that works perfectly to switch G2 variations and xfader and control morph groups with OT scenes and xfader.

• For me, complex patches in Drambo can quickly get unruly, even when using layers. When I go back to patches after a while, it takes time to figure out what the hell I’ve done.

I don’t mean to knock Drambo and in many respects it’s unfair to compare the two, but Drambo has made me appreciate my G2 engine all the more!

1 Like

-Yep the G2 is also an amazing midi controller :slight_smile: I use it to program macros, custom sequencers etc. I like the fact that i can send multiple program change, midi cc etc when using variations. I have been looking for an alternative midi controller and the Electra looks very nice cause it support sysex, midi Talkback, macros, NRPN etc etc.

-No midi program change in stand alone mode is a concern for me too and i know about the bad clock using AUM (too bad)

I have been using Drambo mostly for percussions and as a sampler.
Im considering using Drambo as a sequencer too

1 Like

Just wanted to reference this post further up the page. In the video I show how I use the new LaunchPad X to control Drambo in AUM:

2 Likes

Does anyone know if it possible to send the MIDI Out if one track to multiple MIDI channels?

For example, send the sequence on Track 1 to MIDI output on MIDI channels 13, 14, 15, and 16?

Thanks in advance.

If you’re using Drambo purely as a midi sequencer, the first idea than comes to mind is simply to copy the sequence to multiple channels / tracks in Drambo… OR - I haven’t used Drambo to sequence other apps or hw, but IIRC, there’s a midi out module with channels select. Try using several instances of that module?

1 Like

I see a lot of folks comparing Drambo to Octatrack. Having watched some videos and lurked these discussions, it seems even more complex/difficult than the OT. Is this true? Everyone talks about the learning curve of OT but Drambo seems way steeper from the outside looking in.