Drambo (iOS)

Honestly, I think there’s a decent chance. The iPad Air and Pro are now running identical hardware to Apple’s laptops etc, and the iPad Pro especially seems unnecessarily throttled by the software, considering there are models with 16gb RAM that can’t even be utilised properly, processing power enough for actual workstation tasks, and not even any means of extending the display onto an external monitor (only mirroring).

I would be very surprised to see a full port of logic however. I think a stripped-down version with some design adjustments for touch interfaces would be more likely. I’d also be surprised if iPadOS 16 contained no significant updates that would make it more useful for more desktop-like applications.

Nothing to do with identical hardware.

1. they already gave you garageband - those open in logic
  2. logic’s original code wasn’t apples, it was emagic’s. theres so much legacy code in there they gotta deal with
  3. no one is going to pay an extra 100$ or whatever to get it on ipad when you already paid 200 on the mac, and
  4. it be highly doubtful they would do all that recoding for free
  5. if it was free…what happens to logic remote?

and the biggest one:

1. apple is a money grabbing whore. they’re already selling you an ipad AND a mac…why would they change that to just an ipad? Apple isn’t about reporting their 1st quarterly performance. (cause its always gotta be ‘the best quarter year-over-year-to-date’)

IMO:

1. I don’t think this really counts. Garageband != Logic. Totally different demographics.
  2. This is a good point, however I’d like to think they at least have a good handle over the UI and they’ve already done the heavy lifting to be able to iterate on it significantly and run it natively on M1.
  3. I’m sure there are plenty of ways they could handle the licensing, and this point doesn’t really stand up too well against the fact that so many pro audio companies have invested in delivering software specifically for iOS: Cubasis, FL Studio, Reason, Korg, Moog, Arturia and so on.
  4. See above
  5. I don’t see why this would affect logic remote. They would serve entirely different purposes: different context, motivations, use-cases.
  6. I don’t disagree with your main point, but I would argue there’s a good case for more money to be made here - I don’t see an iPad competing with a proper Mac, with loads of ram, an M1 Max, and a shit ton of VSTs and other things that I doubt will ever be available for iPad. I’m not suggesting they’ll release MacOS for iPad.

This is all blind speculation, but there seems to be a massive appetite for this in general, alongside other pro apps like Final Cut, and I can’t see it cannibalising their actual professional users. The technical leap is also relatively small.

I use Bitwig on my laptop, but i would happily pay £100 for Logic on my iPad.

Yeh, their are professional apps on the store already - including great the Fab filter stuff which isn’t cheap and Suger Bytes full Instruments and FX….

Logic would take the iPad to a new level and would attract even more pro developers….

They have no problem screwing over their professional users. Look at Aperature. Look at the 8 year span of lack of mac pro upgrades. Theres a long list of this.

Pulled in a bunch of kits from op1.fun & sliced/saved in to 34 x Drambo Flexi & Ins Rack presets. + an 8 x kits randomiser patch. All credit, ownership, thanks to op1.fun & the community for creating & sharing the patches (full credits on the page) :pray:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cd8J1cDFkDh/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Free grab / Info - Op1.Fun kit ports for Drambo Randomiser patch - Payhip

& sketchy asf flick through the kits :scream::see_no_evil::scream:

5 Likes

Brilliant. Thank you :facepunch:t3:™:two_hearts:

1 Like

More newbie questions:

I love how this hooks up like a modular. I’ve been able to get some complex patches going quite easily. But: what I’m missing is control. Is there a way to create a custom control layout? I know there are x-y pads and buttons, etc, you can place on individual tracks but they are rather small. Are there good tutorials or other suggestions? TIA.

1 Like

I was bored last night…Loopy pro AU inside Drambo for the controller only…assigned to Drambo tracks. Paging still works for the widgets, so you can get a lot of controls in that AU view section.

Haven’t really gone too far into trying it.

5 Likes

The way I do this is using the “Knobs” module to create a kind of “control panel” for all the parameters I want to modulate for a given track in one place. Saves jumping around all the time.

Put it on your first track (as early tracks can modulate later tracks, but not vice versa), then add a knob, go to the module you want to control and press the little modulation triangle to select a mod source, then switch tracks back to your first track and choose the knob as a mod source. Then set the mod amount appropriately, and now your knob on track 1 controls your parameter on whichever track. You may find you want to adjust both the modulation amount, and the range of the knob - if you long press (or double tap? Can’t think!) a knob, you can change the name and range of each knob.

If you want to control something like mod envelope depth, you might find the Scaler module useful, you feed the envelope into this then have a knob mapped to the scale amount, which then acts as a multiplier which you can then use a mod source.

The new Morph modulator is also worth a play, it lets you assign a target amount for a given knob then morph between the current and chosen value. One interesting thing with this is that it can control any parameter, not just those which have mod triangles, so you can then e.g. apply an LFO to the Morph to LFO a parameter that you otherwise couldn’t.

3 Likes

This also seems like a nice approach, especially as you can detach the AUv3 window and have it permanently visible whichever track you are on.

3 Likes

No need to really with the paging. Again…just dicking around…havent really tried it. You can midi map pages in loopy so my thinking here was when selecting tracks in Drambo, have the loopy map flip as well. Just a performance sequencer setup.

(Also don’t need all those instances. One will work. Was just testing.)

2 Likes

Ah that’s nice!

If you want to control a different track while in another Drambo track, the page letters on the right of the loopy window work. So you can just switch that independently as well.

1 Like

Thanks everyone. @tdmusic — is there a way to resize those controls? The knobs and x-y pad on my 11” iPad are a little small.

@micabeza — so if you build the interface elements in Loopy, can they be any arbitrary size?

Not that I know off in Drambo. The Morph module has a larger knob, so you could use that instead (or even use a Morph knob to control a Knobs knob, not sure if that has any benefits).

If the issue is the space between knobs, you could use individual “Knob” modules instead. If the issue is making fine adjustments, moving your finger left and right instead of up and down makes finer adjustments. Or a third party control app which can run as an AUv3 or maybe as popover could be a good option (eg the Loopy option).

On the 12” you can go to Settings > Display > Display Zoom and make it zoomed, but that makes everything on the iPad bigger.

1 Like

Can anyone direct me to a good video about how to create racks? I understand making and saving presets, but there are some presets they have mind boggling levels of macros and routing and customization, such as the DIY TAPE effect, which has hundreds of modules all collapsed together.

You can size them to you desire. Was just a little different building them in Drambo. Had to build in the project as other projects didn’t scale right.

1 Like

Just watch all of the Ben Richards stuff.

3 Likes

I made that DIY Tape preset :crazy_face: For big rack building/organisation it helps to use a bunch of ‘Section’ modules (In Misc category) & deal with things in collapsable blocks…even if sections are only used under the hood (then hidden when finished rack is saved & used in compact view).
& Layers module too (in Mixer category), depending what you’re making…….Start small/comfortable and just keep adding & organising with sections/layers along the way.

Can’t point to any particular videos but bcrichards, rs2000, aleyas etc are great people to hit up on the beepstreet forum if you hit walls. I’m a clown compared to those guys but can DM me too if anything I can maybe help with :v:

4 Likes